Discovery Gaming Community
PVP-Dead. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: PVP-Dead. (/showthread.php?tid=165654)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: PVP-Dead. - Durandal - 11-08-2018

I guess I just don't see a realistic way of enforcing that with all the moral ambiguity Discovery has to offer, especially when it comes to the generic IDs. I briefly thought about it earlier and ended up going "yeah, no, this isn't workable." to myself while drafting the rewrite of my proposal.

RE: PVP-Dead. - Backo - 11-08-2018

(11-08-2018, 11:21 PM)Iris Wrote: The problem with being bound to bases is that it's really difficult to actually figure out how that should work in practice.

Are you breaking the rules if you jump into a system where you died and there's no base within 10k?

I'd imagine same way as the current 5 min window to leave a system you're pvp dead in. I mostly imagined it with a scenario in which a defender wants to continue staying in the system after being killed in it. In most cases what comes to mind for me is that they were already present in the system and quite possibly docked somewhere before this event.

RE: PVP-Dead. - Lythrilux - 11-08-2018

(11-08-2018, 08:55 PM)Durandal Wrote: - As a result of these two earlier points, these two types of players are more likely to engage in maneuvers largely deemed to be in poor spirit by more combat oriented players, such as planetdiving, outnumbering their enemies to the point of creating no-win scenarios for them, or simply logging off rather than choosing to combat a force of equal size. I feel the need to reinforce yet again that this attitude is detrimental to server health, yet nothing has been done to combat it.

+ ten million was literally talking to Gagadug about this the other day. Long respawn timers make everyone losers. Sore losers. And it's part of a bigger problem. The time for action is now.

(11-08-2018, 08:55 PM)Durandal Wrote: 4.1 If you die whilst in a PVP situation, in any form, you are considered as ''PVP Dead'' for 45 minutes, unless a different time period is defined in the system's entry text. A PVP Dead player:
May re-enter the system only to participate in text based roleplay or to spectate an ongoing battle and must not trade or mine.
May be considered a valid combat target after a grace period of 5 minutes after being given a chance to leave the system they were killed in.
Must not enter combat in the system the fight took place in or re-engage the characters they were killed by in any system.

Whilst this idea has merit, my only worry is that according to people outside of the Discovery community, a big turn-off of the game is the abundance and over-complexity of the rules. I'm more inclined to just simply reduce the respawn timer, rather than add additional verbose. Your suggestion is by no means a bad one however.

(11-08-2018, 11:08 PM)Backo Wrote: With a server population of 20 people online, sometimes a single system is the ONLY system worthwhile for a given character. If I wanted to do nothing but PvE NPCs I'd play the campaign again. Excluding the Tau-29 event from 2-3 days back, the only 2 systems that ever looked worthwhile to be in on my Outcast were A) Omicron Delta and B) New York . Now let's say only Omicron Delta was my ZOI. I die there and sure I can go to all the other glorious systems such as Major, Tau-53, Omega-11, Drake, etc that have nobody in them. I'll sure have a great ton of fun interacting with the NPCs. I log the game to interact with other people and that is very hard when nearly all of the systems are devout of people to interact with. But you're going to say that people should just visit other systems, but guess what they rather log off than do that now. Currently we have more systems than players online. This means everyone can claim his own system where he isn't pvp dead and nobody will interact with anyone. Sounds fun, huh?

Agree with this completely. Let's be completely honest - Delta is the only system in the Omicrons worth of mention. It is extremely rare to find interaction in the rest of the region in the current server environment. In the past, if Core| was defeated in PvP, we'd just move into another system as if we're doing some sort of raid circuit, and we'd know we could easily get interaction. This just isn't the case anymore. A sad truth, but regardless if we want to maintain server health we've got to adapt.

Not to toot my own horn but I really feel the need to repeat myself, about how the respawn timer was cut down from 4 hours because the server wasn't capped at 220 anymore and we had to adapt around our decreased player count. It's exactly the same thing now. We dropped from 4 hours to 2 hours when we realised the server population was only managing about 100~ players in the evenings. Now we're only just getting past 50. It's stupidly obvious what we need to do.

RE: PVP-Dead. - Its Raisu - 11-09-2018

(11-08-2018, 11:32 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Whilst this idea has merit, my only worry is that according to people outside of the Discovery community, a big turn-off of the game is the abundance and over-complexity of the rules. I'm more inclined to just simply reduce the respawn timer, rather than add additional verbose. Your suggestion is by no means a bad one however.

The rules aren't exactly "too much" or "too complex". They could likely be reduced or simplified, making them more concise -- but that doesn't really mean they're too complex. Even the ID restrictions are relatively easy to generalize in your head as you try to remember them.