Discovery Gaming Community
4.91 Theming and Storyline - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: 4.91 Theming and Storyline (/showthread.php?tid=166060)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

4.91 Theming and Storyline - Ash - 11-26-2018

After reading the synopsis of the 4.91 release I was skeptic. Now i've had a chance to explore some of the recent implementations of 4.91 I think it's fair we reflect on it with a fair analysis of what has come to pass from a player's perspective.

First up I'd like to applaud the devs for putting in the thankless work bringing new developments and features to the mod. You guys get the opposite of what you deserve from this community for the most part. Please know it doesn't go unappreciated.

As for the latest version itself, where to start...

The gallic war?

Again?

This has been the theme of the past three versions at least. And while it's been a novel idea to develop that idea through several versions in contrast to the whimsical way development was done before, i'd argue it's run it's course. All of us are making the recurrant mistake of comparing this mod to other space sims such as EVE and believing we can develop it at a similar pace. A common concern of us all is that the mod is losing it's playerbase. While this is an inevitability, developing content that caters to the lore hungry veterans of the mod is slowing it down and making it less exciting to play.

The gallic invasion feeds an interesting storyline, but at what cost? The invasion is squeezing many of the mod's lesser factions out of the picture. Loads of unlawful factions are now stranded in a diplomatic no-mans land. With the overwhelming opposition the gallics pose, there's less and less incentive to play as Mollys, Gaians, the IMG, Lane Hackers and any minor faction that can't face up to cap fleet. All of which are now forced to face the decision to side with their arch-nemesis' or get bulldozed like the rest.

Then there's the council. What is the point of them? Really? I mean they're a great idea for a faction and a potentially powerful addition to a counter-gallic alliance, but they've been to no effect since 4.86. They're one of the four factions who can pack caps against the gallics and yet they're repeatedly swept aside when it comes to any major decisions in terms of the timeline. The same could also be said (to a degree) for the Crayter Republic.

The Bretonians have been without their industrial hub, Leeds, for 5 years. Prior to that they were locked in a lengthy and costly engagement with Kusari. Newcastle has been something of a crutch in the mean time, Poole has played a minor part, Dublin is still disputed and Cambridge is meh. All that added to the successful Gallic takover of Magellan to try and sever commercial ties with Liberty and then relations with Rheinland got frosty. Now with a final standoff at New London, the Bretonians supposedly have enough resources left (without Newcastle and their main shipyard) to hold the Gallics at yet another stalemate. It's not really making much sense. The Bretonians should've been crushed years ago if the gallics are as much as they're written to be.

Now just to to mention, it may seem that i'm getting salty about the Gallics being OP when I'm merely pointing out rather large inconsistencies with the way this has all played out.

Everything gallia conquors goes more or less void of activity. So why are we expanding it?

I feel as though an opportunity was missed to do something radical and change the theme of the mod. Refocus on the Sigma war or see the hispanic war through to a bitter end. Hell i know that the nomad guys are dying to take another shot at us all. It's time to move on from the gallic war. It's time is long since spent.

RE: 4.91 - Minh - 11-26-2018

After reading all of it, I think the only viable solution would be putting Bretonia into a forced peace with Gallia to end the prolonging war. If anything, Liberty would be Tamriel Empire of Freelancer and they would sacrifice Bretonia - like Empire sacrificed Daggerfall and Hammerfell - to Gallia in order to cease the war efforts and prepare for counterstrike in the future.

Let's be honest, the citizens of any country that would lose any military and industrial potential would realize they are no longer at the dominant side. Resistance under the occupation, yes. But trying to face enemy that already quite ruined your own capital? If anything, Bretonia shouldn't be afraid of Gauls knocking around their capital, but rather about their own citizens. Because it would be matter of time the citizens would stop hoping to win that war and turn against The Crown. And if BAF was forced to use of lethal force against their own people - it would only speed up the impending doom.

Take into consideration that it was not GRN to ruin industry of Leeds, but KNF due to their war efforts. That fact made GRN easily waltz into the system and get what was served on the silver plate. On the long run they are sort of saviours due to actually rebuilding the infrastructure of Leeds.

Also, we should think about one more thing that could lay fear onto Bretonians: with BAF ruined, Liberty Navy sitting within Bretonia and - hypothetically - Gallia defeated... What would stop Liberty from annexing Bretonia, with the latter having nothing to throw against?

RE: 4.91 Theming and Storyline - Thyrzul - 11-26-2018

(11-26-2018, 12:32 AM)Ash Wrote: Then there's the council. What is the point of them? Really? I mean they're a great idea for a faction and a potentially powerful addition to a counter-gallic alliance, but they've been to no effect since 4.86. They're one of the four factions who can pack caps against the gallics and yet they're repeatedly swept aside when it comes to any major decisions in terms of the timeline. The same could also be said (to a degree) for the Crayter Republic.

During the last few years and mod updates the Council helped CR at retaking Tau-44, moved La Fierté and her battlegroup to Picardy, liberated and destroyed La Fere Prison station, liberated Saint-Quentin Space Colony and Haute-Seine Shipyard, and opened up another front in Provence with the Oblique and her battlegroup, which we took from GRN back when we helped CR at retaking Tau-44. Thank you for noticing us.

What is the point of The Council? To take over Gallia and estabilish a republic in the place of the current tyrant monarchy, to be the greatest domestic opposition to the Gallic Crown. Currently we have three active warfronts directly involving us and GRN to play that out, a fourth one available being the NL conflict due to our ZoI. Feel free to join us and fight GRN under our colors if you feel this "great idea" is underrepresented to the point it appears pointless while it actually isn't.

About the whole Gallic Conquest thing, something this big doesn't end suddenly within just mere days, and believe me when I say the current Story Dev Team does its best to give it a worthy finale. I mean, don't you think the best way to tone down fleet numbers as fast as possible to the point it certainly makes no sense to continue an offense would be a huge ass final battle?

You'll have the end of the war soon enough, but if you are still impatient, you can join The Council to speed things up inside Gallia:
[Image: Fleur-de-Lys_1024x1024.png]

RE: 4.91 Theming and Storyline - Kazinsal - 11-26-2018

Ageira: builds a hypergate from secure space in Liberty to secure space in Bretonia
Liberty Navy: sends multiple battlegroups through the hypergate and stations them in New London to combat Gallia
Bretonia: continues defending valiantly while numbers build for a counter-offensive
Developers: "though the houses will never return to status quo ante belllum, the Gallic War is coming to a close"
Players: "OH MY GOD THE GALLIC WAR IS GOING TO GO ON FOREVER BRETONIA IS LOST FINAL NAIL CAN I GET A SPICY F IN CHAT RIP DISCO 2005-2018"

RE: 4.91 Theming and Storyline - Thunderer - 11-26-2018

Player in singular. Or at least it seems so to me. We in the BAF have already planned what to do with all the Gallic citizens once we have occupied New Paris. I know that similar plans exist in the MRG, too, but also that they exist in vain.

RE: 4.91 Theming and Storyline - Kazinsal - 11-26-2018

Word. The Bretonian playerbase seems good with the story progression so I don't know what the [ concern intensifies ] that's been showing up is about?

I dunno man. I just write code, fix bugs, do infocards, and occasionally cosplay as an artist and a balance dev sometimes.

RE: 4.91 Theming and Storyline - Thunderer - 11-26-2018

And upgrade the powercores of 2000 Templars manually. Don't worry, we'll make sure to build you a statue on New Paris when everything's settled enough.

RE: 4.91 Theming and Storyline - Minh - 11-26-2018

I kinda thought this thread is meant for constructive discussion, not some flood-rate blabling. :/

Corile Wrote:Cease

RE: 4.91 Theming and Storyline - Binski - 11-26-2018

I never got how a society that still runs on fossil fuels has a better economy and more plentyful fleet than the Sirians who all use fusion and anti-matter. Gallia has been fighting a huge alliance across many fronts yet never even stumbles in place, let alone winding up falling back. The story team does fine but they seem to have already decided on Gallic victory long ago regardless of it reflecting what happens in game. It seems like someone in there simply wants to ram it through, so its happening. I'm starting to believe skynet is using time travel to put us in that timeline where Gallia has just inexplicably won the war on all fronts.

RE: 4.91 Theming and Storyline - Lythrilux - 11-26-2018

So hang on a second, small question.

So if the recent storyline is pushing to end the Gallic war (and I'm assuming that's going to happen once they're pushed out of Bretonia or some sort of stalemate is reached were both sides sign an accord), will the Houses just drop the conflict and leave the smaller groups such as CR and Council to bear the brunt of fighting Gallia alone in the Taus and at home?

Not gonna lie, compared to the involvement of Liberty and Bretonia, it does really feel like the participation of the other factions in the war hasn't had much focus or even acknowledgement from the Gallic lawful side. And I feel like the conclusion might have not been planned so well, with this in mind.