Discovery Gaming Community
Wildlife in discovery. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Wildlife in discovery. (/showthread.php?tid=166303)

Pages: 1 2

Wildlife in discovery. - Wesker - 12-04-2018

For a very long time I've been pondering at the idea of having two of my characters take an interest in wildlife in the Freelancer universe.

Question is, is it power gaming to draw up and write about wildlife that fits your imagination? Of course it would be something within the confines of what is "realistic", nothing extremely silly. I ask because there's not much elaboration on wildlife in discovery beyond the nomads really, and they aren't even "wildlife" just native aliens made by other aliens.

I guess the endpoint question is: does wildlife exist in disco and is it ok to write up something of your own interpretation about it?

RE: Wildlife in discovery. - Titan* - 12-04-2018

we need space wildlife so we can shoot em just like in Stellaris.
More pve!

RE: Wildlife in discovery. - Enkidu - 12-04-2018

I'd say almost certainly not. Discovery should be full of alien wildlife. Please, make as much lore as you like. I've been RPing Pirasharqs and Gimeni worms since they appeared on the Nuremburg infocard.

I'd love to know what kind of sand creatures live on Weisbaden, for example.

RE: Wildlife in discovery. - Emperor Tekagi - 12-04-2018

Dino Shrimps, Wesker. Dino Shrimps. GG- somewhat accepted Meg's and mine creations of creatures of Gaia Smile
I would consider it alright, it doesn't really influence story development or the gameplay in any way. All it does is adding another interesting aspect of RP to the game universe, one not really many people thought about so far. I liked the idea back before we started the Gaia RP, it's a nice new element to play a bit with.

So yeah, from my point of view, go for it, Wesker. As long as it's not all too extreme or ends with hentai, why not?

RE: Wildlife in discovery. - Megaera - 12-04-2018

We made up 2 Gaian animal species and no one made a fuss about it.

RE: Wildlife in discovery. - Sombs - 12-04-2018

There are quite a bunch of infocards and RPs about wildlife in Discovery. Impacting on economy are Gaian Wildlife from Gaia, obviously, leather-producing mammals from Tomioka and the genetically designed luxury food lifestock from Planet Los Angeles, but also other mentions like the predatory animals including the Pirasharq of Nuremberg, the non-earthlike marine wildlife of Curacao (Curacao's oceans do not provide the foundation for imported wilflife from Sol, but infocards describe Curacao's own coral reefs and tropical islands), and I believe there was a mention of large predatory birds either on Baden Baden or another planet of Rheinland. The Core| has a page on the dinosaur-like species on Nauru and there are other player-created animal species like the Chiwi of Curacao, a Kiwi-like genetically designed bird with meat that has a honey-ish taste to it, or most significantly, the Blue Panda which was very quickly turned into a meme, but actually was a thing inRP.

Just go for it.

RE: Wildlife in discovery. - Enkidu - 12-04-2018

I want PVE space whales.

RE: Wildlife in discovery. - LaWey - 12-04-2018

Even that VERY SPECIAL aliean microorganisms by ingame lore have DNA. So that means pretty same planetary conditions, and kinda same life. it can just looks strange, or be adapted to strange conditions but probably will live practically same as any earth lifeform. But seems there werent much of far evolved species.

So recipe is ezz. Just take some earth lifeform, preferable not much evolved(can take something from Australia), adapt it to specific conditions of planet, and you get good wildlife.

RE: Wildlife in discovery. - Gardarik - 12-04-2018

SCEC has been doing RP like that (it has just dragged for a bit). Unless it gives obvious benefits to the faction (like symbiotic telepatic teenage ninja cyber Jesus turtles), it should be fine

RE: Wildlife in discovery. - Lythrilux - 12-04-2018

So Wesker was a furry all along!

Check Core's Nauru page.