Discovery Gaming Community
Renaming Planets/Bases - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Renaming Planets/Bases (/showthread.php?tid=166484)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Renaming Planets/Bases - misterich - 12-12-2018

Because of the war's soon ending I am not sure about the renaming now (except some system should stay in Gallic hands after the war). But there are other planets which could need a renaming - Planet Tangier for example. The Moroccoan name is well for a Corsair planet but now its a Hessian Planet with changes of becoming a capital planet so why not rename it for example to Valhalla?
Also: Planet Saarbruecken was a well name at time of the Saar system but now it doesn't fit to Koeln - Planet Aachen would be a much better choise. I mean after Lyonnais was removed, Lyon was not given to Lorraine either.
Planet Soledad in O.-Tau is the only none Italian name object in this system - it would fit much better to rename it to for example Milano or Roma.

(12-10-2018, 05:01 AM)Markam Wrote: Planet Sprague bothers me to no end though, Sprague, despite being named by the developers of the origin freelancer, feels so weird, especially now its heavily occupied by settlers of Bretonian origin.

Yes thats a point with the orginal naming. But I would still prefer to rename the Hispanic/Core Core systems. In normal Freelancer it was like the "Sirian classical System norm" to call it Omicron Alpha because this systems are unkown to the Sirian people, but for Maltese this is the prime systems and it is very unlikly they would call their system Omicron Alpha. Same for Corsairs or the more or less new Omicron Empire in Delta.
More realistic could be:
Alpha -> Malta / New Malta / Hispania
Tau -> Italia
Phi -> Corsica / Mare Nostrum
Delta -> Latinum
Gamma -> Crete
Xi -> Aegea

RE: Renaming Planets/Bases - Cursetantine - 12-12-2018

I always found names of solars derived from actual places on Earth a little weird. Why do all houses simultaneously follow the same tradition even after 800 or so years passed since they left Sol? Names after lore explorers, like Von Rohe Belt or made up names like Dagger Outpost seems more interesting to me.

RE: Renaming Planets/Bases - Enkidu - 12-12-2018

(12-12-2018, 12:15 PM)Chi Wrote: I always found names of solars derived from actual places on Earth a little weird. Why do all houses simultaneously follow the same tradition even after 800 or so years passed since they left Sol? Names after lore explorers, like Von Rohe Belt or made up names like Dagger Outpost seems more interesting to me.

Because of the history of the house exodus and how they were named after Sol nations. Some locations, like the belt, and a few fields, are named after individuals.

RE: Renaming Planets/Bases - misterich - 12-12-2018

(12-12-2018, 12:20 PM)Riehl Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 12:15 PM)Chi Wrote: I always found names of solars derived from actual places on Earth a little weird. Why do all houses simultaneously follow the same tradition even after 800 or so years passed since they left Sol? Names after lore explorers, like Von Rohe Belt or made up names like Dagger Outpost seems more interesting to me.

Because of the history of the house exodus and how they were named after Sol nations. Some locations, like the belt, and a few fields, are named after individuals.

But why are the Border Worlds of Liberty (and Gallia) not named similar - also Greek Letter plus Number? Do not misstand me - I like Galileo, Cortez or Bering for example and taking swiss Names for the new Rheinic Gallic Border is a nice idea too but that seems so inconsistent to me. Around the beginning of this year the dev renamed Köln to Colonge because all system should have the English name. Still not like that Idea and would prefer the national language way but at least its consistent now. Do you understand my point?

RE: Renaming Planets/Bases - Thyrzul - 12-13-2018

Reminder: Réunion was renamed to Cordes when the GRN took the station from the Council in Orkney seven years ago.