Discovery Gaming Community
Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? (/showthread.php?tid=166730)

Pages: 1 2

Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - Lythrilux - 12-20-2018

I've noticed quite a lot recently that lots of new players seem to think Freeport NFZs offer a rule-level of protection against hostilities and in some cases think that violations of them are valid reasons for a report. Often at the end of all this, they get angry and upset becuase they find out the truth. Not sure how much of an issue it is, although it seems like people are getting misinformed. What could be done to prevent this?

RE: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - Mephistoles - 12-20-2018

They should never have been added to the navmap. I get the idea but feel it makes it confusing for players who don't fully understand what they're about and I'm not sure why Freeports were given such special treatment with such a rare addition to a piece of the game that is left, for the most part, untouched.

I am otherwise quite indifferent towards them.

RE: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - Vexykin - 12-20-2018

"Entered Zoners upheld law area of NFZ"

Better wording, something something.

......sleeeepy...I can't word it better Big Grin

RE: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - Bannorn - 12-20-2018

I wouldn't have thought so - but then I played the original; I don't know if most people coming to Disco are particularly well versed in the background? That being said, if it is an issue, here are my thoughts on the matter:
- Add an OOC note to the description page of the relevant space stations (on the assumption a newer player might read these)
- Reword the on-screen pop-up to be clear.
- Do the same for the navmap descriptor & pop ups.

RE: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - andytv22 - 12-20-2018

(12-20-2018, 03:41 AM)VÆX Wrote: "Entered Zoners upheld law area of NFZ"

Better wording, something something.

......sleeeepy...I can't word it better Big Grin

Or better yet "Zoner enforced no fire zone"

RE: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - Names - 12-20-2018

I was under the impression that if you report a violation to the relevant Zoner authority they would organise to get the perp fined/rep-hacked to hostile with the Zoner faction or something if they are satisfied with the evidence.

But yeah, it probably needs to be made more clear for those who don't know the background info, maybe add a server message giving a short explanation of them.

RE: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - Enkidu - 12-20-2018

The problem is that the CoF, that enforced these things, is largely defunct, and now Zoner organisations enforce them according to their own rep sheet and not completely independently of such considerations.

There really needs to be a freeport-oriented Zoner organisation without specific reps.

RE: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - andytv22 - 12-20-2018

(12-20-2018, 03:56 AM)Touchmenot Wrote: I was under the impression that if you report a violation to the relevant Zoner authority they would organise to get the perp fined/rep-hacked to hostile with the Zoner faction or something if they are satisfied with the evidence.

But yeah, it probably needs to be made more clear for those who don't know the background info, maybe add a server message giving a short explanation of them.

This was the best line I could find anywhere for what happens if this rule is violated: "~Violating a No-Fire Zone can lead to immediate prosecution and engagement, by any member of the Zoner Alliance or independent Zoners."

Basically you just post on the forums and then the appropriate zoners decide what to do.

RE: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - SnakThree - 12-20-2018

They are indeed misleading.

RE: Are No Fire Zones Misleading? - Enkidu - 12-20-2018

(12-20-2018, 05:02 AM)andytv22 Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 03:56 AM)Touchmenot Wrote: I was under the impression that if you report a violation to the relevant Zoner authority they would organise to get the perp fined/rep-hacked to hostile with the Zoner faction or something if they are satisfied with the evidence.

This was the best line I could find anywhere for what happens if this rule is violated: "~Violating a No-Fire Zone can lead to immediate prosecution and engagement, by any member of the Zoner Alliance or independent Zoners."

Basically you just post on the forums and then the appropriate zoners decide what to do.

That used to be decided by an independent entity called the 'Confederation of Freeports' that was meant to be uninvolved in individual Zoner politics.

Now it's pretty much motivated by faction interests, and thus inconsistently enforcible. We either need a new generic Zoner entity or a clearer detailing of what the Zones are and their attached conventions around Freeports.