Discovery Gaming Community
Blocking Jumpgates - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Blocking Jumpgates (/showthread.php?tid=16683)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Blocking Jumpgates - MB52 - 02-19-2009

Ever since the decision to ban all capships from destroying any smugglers, my dreadnought has been more or less useless. Stopping unauthorized traffic through Z21 was my primary job and now I can't do that properly anymore.

So I've been thinking of ways to stop traffic without firing. The biggest thing is blocking the jumpgate.

First way I discovered by accident, where while docking the dread got jammed in the gate and was stuck there with the gate activated. No one could pass, no matter what, until I decided to cancel the jump. Only problem with this is, it is incredibly hard to re-create.

But is it allowed? does an open jumpgate lag the server at all?

Another option is more simple and involves parking in front of the gate so nothing can get through. The gate will still activate but ships can't pass you. (Well they can, but if they do they violate server rules, since nothing can pass, not even a fighter without ramming the capship out of the way)

Quote:5.4 Intentional ramming of capital ships (gunboat-class or larger) by fighters and other capital ships is not allowed in PvP combat, as well as in any other situations.

But is this fair?

Are there any other ways to stop smugglers when we can't shoot? can we even fire CDs at them or is that a violation of server rules?

[Image: screen47uz0.jpg]

Blocking Jumpgates - tazuras - 02-19-2009

I thought you could kill them in alaska cause it is now considered a guard system.

There was a recent statement by an admin claiming that is no longer the case. (There is however no official notice made regarding the issue, so no one knows what the deal is, I just assume we aren't allowed)

Blocking Jumpgates - Tenacity - 02-19-2009

I see no problem whatsoever with blocking gates when you arent authorized to use your weapons against the target.

If the smugglers want to go OORP and take advantage of the enemy's ship class in order to move their cargo without being caught, then lawfuls should be able to take any action necessary to get around that rule.

Examples:
-Blocking gates/lanes (this was done in the singleplayer campaign so we know it's not really OORP)
-Taking screenshtos of the target's cargo and creating 'blacklists' for your faction. Basically creating a kill-on-sight list for smugglers that use this rule to get around larger ships.
-Giving bats/bots to smaller ships if needed in order to take out the enemy.

etc. etc.

Personally I think this crap about not being able to fine/demand cargo from traders in cruisers and up is ridiculous, at least when pertaining to lawfuls. Smugglers need to fear the lawfuls, and being one myself I'm a bit saddened that I dont get to play games with the lawful caps anymore =/

Blocking Jumpgates - kingvaillant - 02-19-2009

' Wrote:I see no problem whatsoever with blocking gates when you arent authorized to use your weapons against the target.

If the smugglers want to go OORP and take advantage of the enemy's ship class in order to move their cargo without being caught, then lawfuls should be able to take any action necessary to get around that rule.

Examples:
-Blocking gates/lanes (this was done in the singleplayer campaign so we know it's not really OORP)
-Taking screenshtos of the target's cargo and creating 'blacklists' for your faction. Basically creating a kill-on-sight list for smugglers that use this rule to get around larger ships.
-Giving bats/bots to smaller ships if needed in order to take out the enemy.

etc. etc.

Personally I think this crap about not being able to fine/demand cargo from traders in cruisers and up is ridiculous, at least when pertaining to lawfuls. Smugglers need to fear the lawfuls, and being one myself I'm a bit saddened that I dont get to play games with the lawful caps anymore =/

I share the same thoughts as you. Smuggling is very un-entertaining nowadays... I love challenge, now there is not much of it.

Blocking Jumpgates - BaconSoda - 02-19-2009

Pirates can stop Transports in Fighters/Bombers/Gunboats, and, guess what? You can too.

So, no, this isn't kosher by my standards.

Blocking Jumpgates - Dusty Lens - 02-19-2009

' Wrote:Personally I think this crap about not being able to fine/demand cargo from traders in cruisers and up is ridiculous, at least when pertaining to lawfuls. Smugglers need to fear the lawfuls, and being one myself I'm a bit saddened that I dont get to play games with the lawful caps anymore =/

Have whine will travel I guess.

I hear you, I left the BLS after I found myself tabbing out to chat on skype while flying with my umpteenth load of slaves.

Tried the LPI to rabble up some anti-smuggler action, but got bogged down in the perpetual fighting.

Boo.

Blocking Jumpgates - kindred - 02-19-2009

May a thousand bombers reign down on your dread for such dirty tactics.

How is it dirty to find a way to stop them without shooting them >.>

Blocking Jumpgates - kindred - 02-19-2009

If you can't kill them then get out of their way or get into a ship that can kill them.
Your tactic is nothing but a annoyance to others you can not touch.
Furthermore i call it a dirty tactic because you are forcing them into a trap where they
will break the rules to get you out of the way to proceed merrily along on their way.
The unlawfuls do just fine against trading vessels without cruisers and battleships.