Discovery Gaming Community
Legacy Found - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Legacy Found (/showthread.php?tid=167294)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Legacy Found - Sand_Spider - 01-21-2019

Sandra frowned, turning to look out the main view port towards the Bastet. "Well... Damn. I only hope that the most amount've folks got 'ta pods as possible, then." Taking a steadying breath, Sandra blew out some air with puffed up cheeks. "No sense fer me'ta dwell on it, though."

Staying quiet for a time, Sandra occupied herself with running further scan data, as well as checking on a few available options on what to do next. When Arya spoke again to mention the need to report their findings, Sandra nodded. "All right, the communication transmitter's yers."

As the pair waited out the return call, Sandra put on some low-volume instrumental music to pass the time; something that many ears wouldn't likely object to, given the classic status of the genre. If Arya was up for it, Sandra would shoot the breeze with small talk. Otherwise, the Libertonian gal would pass time further by setting a passive in-depth scan on the Bastet, then play around on her PPC.

When the call came, Sandra lit up a bit. "Hey, that was fast! If we could get 'er fixed up a bit, she might hold fer a system jump." Pondering now, Sandra's face took on one of thought. "I've got some EVA suits, sure. Few different sizes too, so there ought'a be one that fits at least halfway decent."

"If yer gonna head on out, I should stay with the ship. But I've got a remote-control scrapper drone I could use'ta join 'ya from here."

RE: Legacy Found - Tenacity - 01-21-2019

Arya suited up, donning the EVA suit like armor against the void. It was an older production, bulky and cumbersome, but better protected and more resilient than the newer suits in use.

Head lamp, ballistic plating and kevlar padding to protect against micro-meteors and debris, built in power pack, heads up display, mag-lock boots for holding onto hull plating, integrated short range communications, and an onboard computer for interfacing with a variety of ship and station electronic systems. In addition to all that, Arya hitched on a plasma torch for cutting through bulkheads and a nanite canister for repairing breaches.

She stepped heavily into the airlock, boots clanking against the metal floor. Her voice crackled over the ship's speakers, connected to the suit's comms. "Good to go, depressurize and open the outer door"

A few seconds of hissing as the air in the chamber vented into space have way to a mechanical whoosh as the door slid open. Arya stepped out of the airlock to the exterior of the junker ship, nothing between her and the void but a few thin layers of cloth and armor. She held onto the wrecker's framing as Sandra maneuvered in closer to the derelict, repositioning to drop her off on top of the hangar bays, just past the damaged portions.

Arya made the leap, disconnecting from the bunkhouse and impacting uncomfortably against the Bastet's hull, tumbling for a moment before her mag lock boots engaged and grappled the new ship.

Sandra moved the wrecker around and used the flood lights to illuminate the path ahead of her as Arya slowly made her way along the hull, one heavy step at a time. Her voice crackled over the comms again "the forward lounge looks like some of the viewports are broken out, I'll try to ingress there. The bridge took heavy damage, nothing there will be active, but if I can make my way to main engineering there should be auxiliary controls for most systems. I just hope that reactor breach didn't fry the area."

RE: Legacy Found - Tenacity - 01-22-2019

[Image: zaP1Mwr.jpg]

Arya entered the forward crew lounge through a shattered viewport, climbing through a gap in the shattered transparisteel. There were multiple off-duty lounges onboard the Bastet, places where the crew could congregate and relax after a long shift, but this one - right next to the hangars - was where the pilots spent their time offduty. Arya paused for a moment, taking in the scene; most of the tables were broken or battered and the chairs had been sucked out into space long ago, along with the bottles behind the bar. Several corpses were frozen to the ruined floor, unrecognizable after being exposed to the vacuum and micro-organisms of the edge nebula for nearly a decade. These wouldn't have been offduty pilots - more likely they were flight deck crew fleeing the damaged hangars and looking for shelter. There were no escape pods nearby; these souls never stood a chance.

Arya moved through the lounge, lightly running her hand across the bartop as she recollected events. She had been here, having drinks with her wingmen, when Commander John Matthews - Aki Kimura's right hand - had made an announcement to the vessel that the command staff were going to take the ship, against orders, and go rogue. Arya was one of the few pilots who refused to take part in that mutiny, and had been left drifting in an escape pod with others of like mind. Sometimes she wondered if that was the right choice, Aki Kimura was doing the same thing that she had finally done when she joined the Legacy of Orillion - making a stand against the overwatch, against high command, and doing what needed to be done regardless of bureaucracy or politics.

Following that insurrection, Aki Kimura had taken the Bastet and hunted down the infected like dogs. She had done a lot of good in less than ideal circumstances, and paid the price for it; nobody knew what happened to her, but one day the ship showed up at the edge of order space, Admiral Kimura nowhere to be seen, and the crew turned themselves in. Everyone left onboard was reassigned or demoted for their involvement; Arya had dodged that bullet.

She continued through the door at the back of the lounge and into the main hallways connecting the various crew quarters, supply closets, and operational rooms of the ship together. Hull breaches were everywhere, from small to large; some mere fist-sized holes through the ship where micro-meteors had torn through and others massive, gaping wounds that had bled entire exposed decks into space. Much like the Lisbon wreckage being rebuilt by the Legacy, this ship was probably more trouble to rebuild than it was worth; but it carried with it the invincible heart and soul that the Order was founded upon, and that was worth restoring.

Making her way through the debris-filled halls, Arya passed one of the debriefing rooms, and from the corner of her eye glimpsed a photo, pinned to a crumbling corkboard, of Kaylee Staite, the second commanding officer of the Bastet, huddled together with a handful of fighter pilots posing for the camera. One of those pilots was Arya; the photo had been taken shortly after returning from a training flight, wherein Arya and her wing commander Christopher Maihos taught the ship's captain how to fly a fighter for the first time. Kaylee was young, and this posting had been her first real command; Arya recalled the adrenaline-fueled laughter from her as Kaylee tried to keep up with the fighter wing maneuvering through the asteroid field around Toledo. She had taken to it naturally, though Arya and Chris had argued endlessly afterwards about whether she would have ever passed a proper flight exam.

The pathway ahead was blocked, debris and damage had caused the hallway to collapse in on itself. Arya backtracked, looking for another route down to the lower levels. This was deck 7, she needed to get to deck 4, where main engineering was located, just forward of the ruined reactor core. Every other turn was another dead end; blocked halls, sections sealed off by automatic emergency bulkheads, sometimes entire sections of the ship missing and open to space. This deep into the hull, with all the steel of the ship around her and interference from the nebula to boot, her short range comms were garbled at best, and contact with the Bunkhouse was sporadic. She was, for all intents and purposes, on her own; at least until she could get back outside, or get something in this wreckage working.

At long last, she came to the main bulkhead leading into Section B-4: main engineering. Ductwork and cabling from the ceiling had fallen from the brackets above her and littered the floor, and the bulkhead itself was sealed shut. Arya detached the plasma torch from the back of her suit, and set about the tedious task of cutting through the foot-thick door. Progress was slow, and as she completed each cut she could hear the walls around the door strain and shift. When the task was finally complete, and a small rectangular entry had been cut into the bulkhead, Arya kicked it loose; immediately she was thrown backward as a blast of pressurized atmosphere rushed to escape from the once-intact room.

Grunting with effort, Arya pushed the slab she had cut out of the door off of herself; if it hadn't been for the padding and armor of her EVA suit, that likely would have killed her. She got up, re-engaged the maglocks in her boots, and climbed through the sizzling opening into main engineering. The room was relatively well preserved, probably the most intact part of the ship and the only section with pressure she had come across. Other than papers and small objects that had been vented through her entry hole, everything was still in place, clean and proper as if it were still in service.

Arya did a quick assessment of the area: computers looked functional, though unpowered, and the auxiliary control panels for the ship's various systems were all intact. It had always been intended, in the event of catastrophic damage to the bridge, that the ship could be controlled from engineering as a fallback redundancy; the consoles here were linked into most major operations of the vessel, including maneuvering, engines and thrusters, shield control, fire control, communications, scanners, and a direct line to the flight deck. Looking down one of the side-halls that led back into the reactor and main engine compartment of the ship, Arya could see that the specialized, emergency "iris" doors had sealed when the reactor core went critical, protecting the rest of the ship from an immediately fatal blast.

Arya made her way to the chief engineer's station, at the center of the room. Affixed to the wall above the console was a small painting, picturing an anthropomorphic feline deity bordered in alabaster tile, and below it a brass plaque that read "Curiosity and Intrigue drive us to the black, only Vigilance and Loyalty will bring us back."

She recognized the painting and plaque; they had been installed when the Bastet was first commissioned, in 817 A.S. Following Aki Kimura's insurrection, and the re-commissioning of the ship over a year later after its return from unknown space, the plaque had been removed from the bridge of the ship as part of the remodel and retrofit. The new chief engineer had kept it as an inspiration for his team, a small piece of memorabilia too valuable to simply throw away.

Shaking off the onslaught of nostalgic memories, Arya opened the canister of repair nanites she had brought along. The miniscule robots sprang to life, scurrying around the engineering bay and beginning repairs. Several of the nanites began to reseal the hole she had cut into the bulkhead to gain entry, fabricating a shell of nanomaterial and fusing it to the doorway. Within a few minutes, the room was resealed, and the local life support systems repressurized the room with fresh oxygen from a limited reserve. Throughout the entire derelict, this was the one place capable, now, of sustaining life.

RE: Legacy Found - Tenacity - 01-22-2019

As the room finished pressurization, Arya unlatched her EVA suit's collar, removing her helmet. The air inside the engineering bay was breathable, but bitter cold. Ventilation systems were online in this compartment, but not heat or gravity; the only thing holding her in place were the maglock boots she was wearing. She retrieved a power cell from her pack, and hooked it into the receptacle for the chief engineer's control console.

The console hummed and sprang to life as it rebooted for the first time in years. Processors and data drives buzzed as the system pulled a ship-wide damage report and began to display information on-screen.

DAMAGE REPORT
  • Severe Structural Damage
  • 23 Identifiable Hull Breaches
  • Decks 1-3 and 5-9 Depressurized
  • Deck 4 Partially Depressurized
  • Main Bridge Destroyed
  • Hangars 1-4 Destroyed
  • Reactor Core Breach
  • Main Engines Inoperable
  • 4/30 RCS Maneuvering Thrusters Functional
  • 2/18 Turret Hardpoints Functional
  • 1 Countermeasure Launcher Functional
  • 7 Countermeasures Remaining
  • Shield Generators Malfunctioning
  • Ablative Armor Compromised
  • Cloaking Systems Inoperable
  • Disruptor Systems Inoperable
  • Communications System Online
  • Jump Drive Functional (Unpowered)

The readout wasn't good, but Arya was surprised to see that communications and the jump drive were both, miraculously, undamaged. If some structural integrity could be restored, and the shield generators repaired, and a power source for the jump drive was secured... they just might be able to get this ship home without having to rely on an unstable jump hole.

She flipped a switch, powering on the local, short range transmitters, "Sandra, do you copy? I got to main engineering, communications look good and - get this - the jump drive is undamaged. It has no power, and structural integrity isn't sound enough to make a jump just yet, but with that repair ship inbound we might just be able to make this work."

RE: Legacy Found - Spectre - 01-23-2019

From the west came a small contact, closing in with relative haste. A tiny, protruding light pierced the fog of the nebula as it approached, the headlight getting brighter and brighter as the ship drew nearer. Scans of the vessel would confirm it as a repair vessel, one of the typical DSE models often sold across Sirius, though bearing Order identifications and sporting the Ankh and Eye of Ra symbol on the 'bridge'. Local comms would be alerted by the small craft, the bunkhouse in particular receiving a friendly beep of acknowledgement, the repair ship's excuse for a classic 'hail'.

"This is Lieutenant Cyrus Auger calling Captain Arya Davis. We've been diverted from Lisbon to assist in spot restoration efforts."
The ship didn't seem to take much time in approaching the disabled aged warship, beginning a light spray of nanite-based mist across the Bastet's hull.
"Warship locked. Beginning micro-repair process.. Reading a power signature within the ship. Captain, I'll assume that's your doing?"

The ship would begin filling in small holes along the exterior, quick and simple patches that would add varying degrees of stability to the ship's structure. Kill it with bug bites, or rather the other way around. After they were cleared up, it would start with the bigger ones, aiming to patch as much structural integrity to the ship as possible.

RE: Legacy Found - Tenacity - 01-23-2019

Arya rushed around the engineering bay to another console when she heard it beep. The screen showed a small contact, a standard repair ship, which announced itself over short range comms.

"Good to hear from you Cyrus, and you're right, I'm in the one compartment in this derelict that can still hold air, main engineering is good to go. I've got some auxiliary control access from here..." she punched a few buttons on another console, "...transmitting the damage readouts now. Most of this old bird is completely ruined, but the jump drive will work if we can patch up the hull enough to hold her together, and get some power cells to spin it up. Safer than taking it through a wormhole at least."

Over the next few hours, Arya coordinated with Cyrus to enact repairs - doing what she could from the inside while the Repair Ship sprayed nanite material over the outer hull to seal it up. It was slow work, but they made progress, one hull breach at a time.

RE: Legacy Found - Sand_Spider - 01-24-2019

As Arya made her way into and through the 'body' of the Bastet, Sandra gave it some thought, then decided against tagging alongside the Captain. Even being onboard her vessel and controlling a remote-control drone, Sandra's attention would be split. If anyone came along and had ill-intentions, she would need to maintain alertness to ensure that Arya had a ride back to base.

When a voice crackled over her headset, Sandra pinged back at Arya regarding the recent find about the jump drive. "Yeah, I copy --- Whoahoh, really?! --- All right, that's some decent news, then! Maybe we'cn get this ol' gal outta here in a relative solid piece, after all!"

Just then, Sandra received a notification on her passive-radar array. "Hold on," Sandra told Arya. "I think yer repair crew's here." Pulling up the basic data available within far-targeting range, Sandra nodded as she saw the readout tagging the incoming vessel as a Mender-class. Upon receiving a hail-greeting, Sandra answered with a quick voice welcome. "Howdy there! Sandra Carter here - Nice'ta see ya'll made it 'ere safely." With that, Sandra would take a moment to eye the repair ship as it slipped into the clearing and began maneuvering about the Bastet's outer hull with ease.

With the Mender crew here and setting to work, Sandra took a moment to think aloud, shutting her mic off to do so. "Hrm... I reckon I've done my part, here.. I don't think they'd blame me fer wantin'ta bail from here."

Moralities in her head fought it out, forcing her to weigh options.
Sandra had already placed lot of trust in the word of one person claiming to be a part of some Legacy Order group wanting to break away and do things differently than the rest of the 'Terroristic' Order.
But plenty of Good People ended up in Bad Situations, Sandra reminded herself. She was a living example of this!

"Maybe I'm jus' too trustin'a folks..."
"But, darn it," Sandra vented, "I can't help but want'a see the best've things! This galaxy needs more generous souls, an' I sure wouldn' be encouragin' that if'n I back away from all'a this, now."

Sandra got back on the microphone, hailing both Captain Davis and Lieutenant Auger's frequencies. "Pardon me ya'll, but if 'ya need, I've got some Manifold Ingots stowed away in the Bunkhouse's cargo bay. If they'd come in handy, yer welcome to 'em - I've got external blowtorch cutters I could adjust 'ta be used fer meltin' the ingots in'ta place. Either way, I'cn keep an eye out fer trouble, an' deal with anything small pretty easy like!"

RE: Legacy Found - Spectre - 01-24-2019

With the micro-repair bots running across the Bastet's hull, and the automated systems controlling their progress, Auger was free to reply, patching in over the comms.
"Manifolds would certainly help add to her integrity, ma'am, and quick too.. I'd appreciate it."

Within moments, the bunkhouse's cargo bay would begin to open, low-yield tractor beams beginning to line the solid metal plates across any of the breaches they would fit over. Even with the nanite's efforts, the manifolds began to bring some much needed strength back to the Bastet, which would almost certainly give the boys on Carthage that much more of a breather once she'd arrive.

"Much obliged, ma'am.. let's see how far we can get with these little guys.."

RE: Legacy Found - tC-Collector - 01-25-2019

[Image: GNUpXv3.png]

A singular drone silently combed the system designated "The Expanse", operating under reconaissance subroutines as directed by the Collective. Green and yellow lights erupted from it intermittently, flash-scanning nearby wreckages in what the humans referred to as a ship graveyard. A perfect location for new acquisitions, Collector would be interested in these findings, singularly focused on assimilating and integrating new technologies.

Most of the remains here were unworthy of the energy necessary to salvage them, smaller vessels with little purpose to the Collective. Occasionally a larger wreckage would be found, remains identified as designated ships of the Core, or The Order, both organizations hostile to the Collective.

.Activity.
.A larger wreckage.
.Two active/smaller vessels in proximity.

The drone moved in for closer inspection. Vessel one, junker designation, wrecker. Vessel two, order designation, mender. Salvage operation in progress, valuable technology likely.

The drone approached, scanners flashing bright. Data must be collected and archived.

RE: Legacy Found - Sand_Spider - 01-25-2019

As the minutes and hours began to tick on by, Sandra tried to keep herself from losing focus. One or two times, she'd had to re-clear the area around the Bastet of nebula gasses. It was simple enough now, but it was tedious work, and she was starting to yawn. Maybe a quick, frozen dinner out of the mini-freezer would suit the situation? Pausing from her vigilance on the radar scanner, Sandra rummaged through plausible options.

"Huhhhh... Do I want Orange Chicken an' Dumplings, or Tuna Mac'n Cheese..."

A blip on her passive radar had Sandra pausing in her self-debate and blinking. "Uh," she managed, striding over to her command chair. "Oh, well then - Fancy that sort've luck; guess I'll eat later!"

Sandra swapped over to the local communication frequency - The one everyone in the area would likely receive - and hailed the new vessel.
"Uh, howdy hey there, stranger! I sure wasn't expectin' anyone else'ta wander on out here. What'cn we do for 'ya?" Sandra took a breath to steady herself. The Houstonite didn't recognize what sort of vessel this newcomer was flying, but she could make out green and yellow lights amongst the edge of the clearing made in the gaseous cloud.

Maybe green lights meant it was friendly? Sandra sure hoped so - This section of space was making her itchy and somewhat nervous. The best she could do was do what she always did best: Talk things out.