Discovery Gaming Community
Ad Interim - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Ad Interim (/showthread.php?tid=169358)

Ad Interim - James Greed - 04-03-2019

Curious little machine, isn't it?

I've found it between the wrecks of an ageira transport not too long ago. An homage to a long lost age, it would seem. A project of an overworked corporate employee. It contained a few logs of it's maker, but I have disposed of them. I shall replace those with my own thoughts and memoirs.

[Image: D0L12Qn.png]

Distorted Tradition - James Greed - 07-06-2019

With the abundance of wealth, comes decadence. This is said to be inevitable, and thus my family set up a trial decades, if not centuries ago. Once the offspring have reached their twentieth birthday, a hefty amount of credits and a ship was provided to them. From then on, they were to venture out into space and see the world for themselves. Have them decide on a goal in their life. Most ended up returning to the family in short order, upon realizing how much worse they could have it. Swiftly integrating back into the keiretsu. This little "exercise" is said to form one's character. A clever ploy to strengthen the supposed family ties. Of course, there were exceptions. Some splintered off to join various shipping companies, groups, or the naval forces. Generally, it worked out in favor of the family.

The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

There was a shift, however. More and more decided to join the less lawful side of Kusari. Members of my family turned up in harshly different groups. Bad influence? Greed? Who knows. The previously mentioned countermeasure remained, with a slightly different purpose, yet effectively staying the same. It became a tradition to let the young explore, all in service of complete individuality.

This chain of events will likely end with me. Some families United, others joined with different views on this whole trial. Everyone before me stayed inside Kusari, settled down with a group, lawful or unlawful. Or so I was told. If possible, I'd like to extend this little trial and see what I can do on my own without clinging to the first group that seems vaguely acceptable.

Idealistic, I know. Especially from someone like me. Last in line, not blood-related, possibly choosing the wrong path to begin with.

RE: Distorted Tradition - James Greed - 03-25-2020

Another morning, devoid of colour like the rest. No star shines brighter, the backlight of the console still as dim when it first malfunctioned. The news, all the same. Factions shooting eachother to shreds, houses continuing their zealous expansion for power. Tyrants fall, innocent women and men get framed for crimes they never committed.

Yet, as always there's anxiety. What if it's the last day I'll get to "enjoy"? A malfunction of the engines could send me into the sun. A crack in the hull could promote me to a corpse. Minds immeasurably superior to ours could just flip the switch, and turn our world cold and empty forever.

Even though my current job is a lot safer than what I did before... It just feels like it's not going anywhere. Back then, I could chase these thoughts away by flying out immediately. Rob the first transport, then head back to base. Now? Old allies became enemies. Piracy is out of the equation, and all I can do is shoot, and hope the bureaucrat in the bounty office files the claim in time.

This too shall pass. We too, shall pass.

Thrown away like an empty fuel cell.