Discovery Gaming Community
Veni, vidi, vici - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Veni, vidi, vici (/showthread.php?tid=169406)

Pages: 1 2

Veni, vidi, vici - Thunderer - 04-04-2019

The bar of Aland Shipyard had seen more crowded days. This day it was mostly populated by a few mechanics who were repairing the battle damage, and another few who were taking a rest from it in the company of a few drinks and each other. It was 9 PM according to Sirius Time. Elizabeth Hall, MP for Port Jackson, and Jack Hammond, director of the APM, were supposed to meet here at this time. Hammond had just arrived. Elizabeth had been aboard the whole day, prepared for the diplomatic matter, but she didn't want Hammond to think he was late and thus ungentlemanly, so she waited hidden until he arrived and only then came in.

She came in with a slight limp, helping herself walk with a black cane. It was engraved with intricately curled strips of silver, without doubt an object of high value, but it was clearly not only a piece of fashion. Her dress was fittingly black -- her gloves as well -- and its wrinkled slopes reflected the shivering light of the bar with the grace of an undrtaker's carriage. She was sporting a wide smile, though the flesh below her eyes had swollen slightly, as if she had missed a night's sleep -- or as if she had been crying. Herself unaware, she symbolized Bretonia. Limping, but dignified; covered in black for all the fallen, but with overbearing style; smiling in public, but restless, and at the point of breaking, beneath the facade.

"Ah, Sir, you are already here!", she exclaimed with more strength than she appeared to have, her chin proudly up, while still limping in. "Aland might have seen better days, but nowhere a better place for a diplomatic meeting than a piece of newly conquered land, don't you think?" She took the chair opposite of Hammond's herself, without asking. Aland was Bretonian, and she acted as if it was her own -- and Hammond was, for now, no more than a guest. She needed to invest some effort to sit without injuring herself even further, and she let out a sigh of relief when she was finally settled on her chair.

RE: Veni, vidi, vici - Implosion - 04-04-2019

-Nice cane, Ms. Hall. Planning to beat someone with it? Said Hammond, after which he smiled. -It is unusual to see someone so young with such a thing, but alas, you make it look good. In fact, I might even get one for myself...on second thought though, I won't be able to pull it off. He smiled once again and straightened his blazer, white shirt underneath and no tie. His shirt was decorated with pure Iridium buttons and so were the sleeves of his jacket. The faint blue glow of the cybernetics behind his eyes was barely visible, yet impossible to miss.

-So ma'am, here we are. Aland Shipyard, her Majesty's newest asset. And yet, I don't see joy on people's faces. I see...I don't know really, it's like a mix of despair, sleep deprivation and pure unmistakable desperation. Yet, they try to mask it. I admire them, this shows their great dedication. Really makes this place feel special and makes me think this is the closest I'll get to being in the very center of the universe. And by an extent, exactly why this place was the best for such a meeting, ma'am. I couldn't have picked a better spot myself. Although, the lack of good alcohol is slightly disturbing.

He smiled once again and lifted his glass. Instead of taking a sip, he put it back down after smelling the contents. Jack then leaned back in the battered seat and smiled once again.

-So tell me, ma'am, why have you brought me all the way down here. Surely, this exchange could have been done without you or me being here. My guts tells me there's more to this. Although, there isn't much left of my gut anyways...ah I digress, that's a long story and not particularly suitable for people that don't like blood.

He didn't smile this time, just lit the cigarette he had just taken out of his blazer's pocket.

RE: Veni, vidi, vici - Thunderer - 04-04-2019

"I'm fine with blood, Sir. I a lieutenant-commander in the Armed Forces." She took off her left glove. Her hand was covered in healed burn scars, or, more precisely, her hand was a scar. Her index finger was missing a nail. "Apologies, it seems I forgot my manners at home. Before business, it is customary to ask: how are you doing, Sir?" She extended her hand for Hammond to kiss.

RE: Veni, vidi, vici - Implosion - 04-05-2019

Jack looked at her scarred hand then stared directly into her eyes. He nodded gently, stood up and kissed her hand, a sign of great respect, he presumed. He sat back down, reinstating the wide smile on his face. -I'm rather fine, actually. Being able to fly around here with no nomads trying disassemble me is rather...liberating, if not a bit boring. Oh, sorry, I forgot this is a taboo topic around here in civilized space. He awkwardly shifted his gaze around the people in the bar and straightened his jacket again. -But let's not get bogged down into that. I promised I'll tell you the story of the Ehrgeiz and I will. Once upon a time, there was a man. Gabriel Nibelung, the captain of Battlecruiser Ehrgeiz. He was a good man, a proper soldier and a leader. Not like the snakes nowdays. The Ehrgeiz was one of the most advanced Bullheads and yet, it was lost in combat. When I was picked as Guildmaster of the Core, one of the firsts orders I gave was to build a brand new Mako Class Battleship. It's name - Ehrgeiz. Ever since it rolled out from Alabama, it has been the spear's head. Offensive ops, defense jobs, that Mako saw it all. At one point, there was a hole the size of a Templar on the starboard side of the bridge. Apparently, a few tons of antimatter does that. Who knew. Anyhow, it's most recent posting was Omega-55. It was specifically armed for quick hit and run ops. We overhauled the engines and replaced the reactor with a new, improved version. Top notch stuff. The amount of pain Ehrgeiz can dish is exceptional for a ship of this size. Make no mistake, however. It's a tricky vessel to bring into battle. It rewards good tactics and smart planning. We often pit our Makos against much heavier opponents and we often prevail. Our Makos absolutely adore asteroid fields and nebulas. The Ehrgeiz is no exception. Cutting edge cloak tech and active EM and Heat emission masking allows it to take it's victims by surprise and deliver the oh-so-important first strike. In terms of armor, it is inferior only to the Athena, our flagship's plating. And as with all ships made under my reign, it has state of the art, bleeding edge bar, that doubles as a secondary CIC, if the need arises. Hammond pulled a holopad out of his jacket's pocket and projected a 3D schematic of the ship. -As you can see, this is an exceptional piece of engineering, even by our inhumanly high standards. He put the pad in front of Hall, for her to examine, after which Jack cheekily pulled a canteen out of his jacket's inside pocket and gestured the bartender to send over two empty glasses. -I figured it would be fitting to treat you a sip of our own whiskey. Home made, but of boutique quality. I hope I haven't bored you, but this ship and the legacy is carrier means a lot to me. Ah, excuse me for a moment. He stood up and carelessly strolled behind the bar, took two glasses, polished them very carefully and returned to the table. Jack then carefully filled the glasses exactly equally and smiled. -I hope you like it. Oh and uh, while we're on the topic of you, how are you? I imagine your job is stressful... I wonder, why did you choose that job anyhow?

RE: Veni, vidi, vici - Thunderer - 04-05-2019

Cloaking devices, high-tech powercores, state-of-the-art drinking dens and a refined taste for strong beverages. The impression which Hammond made on Hall was of a teenage boy in the body of a man with no parents to control him, and a variety of destructive gadgets to play with. She was used to pleasing such by feeding their male vanity when she was still a prostitute, but what she had always truly been, or at least wanted to be, was a bookworm, one interested in the shadowy, but all so important, details, and patient long-term investments, of political games. She made it an art to keep her thoughts about other people for herself, unless stating them would bring an advantage, and the only thing that would visibly offend her was telling her that politics and war were not for women. She decided that she would base her relations with Hammond on the trait they seemed to have in common, and that was pragmatism. Purely business, then.

She directed a disappointingly suspicious look at the glass of whisky, certainly not as if she suspected poison, but more as if protesting with the words "What!? Drink on duty!?". But she did take a sip, for courteousness' sake, the strength of the drink apparently having no effect to her, as she got used to alcohol during her days of involuntary debauchery. And this, this little detail, was what described her whole character, and by her conscious intention: despite being a person of much ambition and nearly as much (self-perceived) strength, she still managed to be one of restraint and professionalism as well.

"Some good stuff, Sir. It will be my pleasure to finish the whole glass, and even ask for more -- after we are done discussing. I suppose you've served the Core for a long time, no? Did you know a certain Armed Forces admiral called George? He had the same surname as I."

RE: Veni, vidi, vici - Implosion - 04-07-2019

Hammond carefully observed Hall's every move, gesture and facial expression. Once upon a time, he found great pride in being able to read people. Everyone had some sort of tell, some sort of involuntary, barely noticeable giveaway. Yet, he couldn't seem to pick anything concrete from her. He just shrugged, gulped his glass and without even blinking said: -No. No idea who that is. Jack leaned back and clenched his hands together in front of his chin.

-Contrary to popular belief, I don't go out much, so to say. I tend to keep to my own domain - the Omicrons. I don't get the names of the new people I meet there, as they usually attempt homicide on me. Are you related to this George Hall person? Is he your Father?Or maybe your Brother?

RE: Veni, vidi, vici - Thunderer - 04-07-2019

"Oh, never mind then. No, it's not important. We are supposed to do business here anyways."

Admiral Sir George Richard Hall used to live a rather liberal life when he was young, and Elizabeth was one of his illegitimate children. She didn't know him, although she officially claims she did, in order to profit from his glory. He didn't allow his illegitimate children any part of it while he was still alive, as having bastards would harm his reputation, and also provide a weak point for his political enemies to strike at, but he was killed in action during the Gallic push into New London. This opened the way for Elizabeth, who is intending to exploit the current circumstances thoroughly.

Her primary aim here was to find out more about her father, from a non-Bretonian source. But as she had no luck, then it was time for business.

"The most recent contract between the Core and Bretonia only contains five points, some of which are rather vague, or... uncertain. Take the point..." She threw a glance at her pad. "...number four, for example. We have promised you part of Aland after the war. What if we, well, lose the war? One of Gallia's peace conditions might be to return Aland to the IMG. And even if we win, that could last, and you gain nothing in the meantime. I personally think it would be a better business choice to build your own station in Omega-3. A depot, a shipyard, whatever the Core needs. I could try to convince the government to exclude you from tax, as garrisoning Omega-3 is service to us already, a form of tax if you like. Interested to hear more?"

RE: Veni, vidi, vici - Implosion - 04-07-2019

-I like taking risks like that, they make my life interesting. As for your offer, I'm not sure we could maintain or protect a space station out here. It's not smart to build something right now. The Hessians will be all over it before you can say "get to the escape pods".

Hammond loaded a map of the sector on his holopad.

-Here, here and here...they have three possible approach vectors, no matter where or when we erect the station. It's borderline impossible. Furthermore, if or when you loose the war isn't something I want to worry about right now. There are more pressing matters at hand as it is.

RE: Veni, vidi, vici - Thunderer - 04-07-2019

"Oh well. I suppose we can postpone that until after the war then, when we can protect Omega-3 more thoroughly. Whatever the outcome, I expect the economy to shift from wartime to peacetime, so many will lose their jobs. Constructing a station should provide new workplaces for unemployed Bretonians. But I suppose you have entirely no interest in this and are fully satisfied with a section of Aland?"

She had personal interests in this potential agreement, and she would not let it go easily.

RE: Veni, vidi, vici - Implosion - 04-08-2019

-Miss Hall... Jack paused and sighed. We don't have the logistic resources to sustain an active space station out here. Running in the wild Omicrons is hard enough without having to redirect resources and manpower back to house space. Contested or not. We simply cannot and will not do it, at this point of time.

Daniels, somewhat puzzled by the woman's persistence, took a sip directly from his flask. He wasn't used to people not taking no for an answer, his position of power had spoiled him somewhat.

-Why do you care so much if do build a space station out here? It really shouldn't make any difference for you, right?