Discovery Gaming Community
Disconnecting from the server. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Disconnecting from the server. (/showthread.php?tid=170616)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Disconnecting from the server. - Gray_Mouser - 06-26-2019

(06-26-2019, 02:02 AM)Eiridian Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 11:06 PM)Gray_Mouser Wrote: 1. Did you check if your firewall blocks the game after one run?
2. Try to rename the folder users\youruser\documents\my games\Freelancer e.g. in Freelancer_bkp. If you run it now again, does it work once again and is there a new folder Freelancer now?

yeah, that is correct. I can login perfectly fine after i install the game but as soon as i exit i no longer can log in. the game loads perfectly fine and i can go through all the menus up until i actually go to load the game after picking which character i want to play. thats when the issues come. As for as switching betweeen mods or vanilla, i dont do either as ive played the original game way too much and i just enjoy this mod over others.
Did you follow up the two suggestions I marked above? If you need more information for that say so.

To solve your problem anybody will need information to help you. At the moment there is IMHO not enough information to help you, e.g. it would be helpful to know your exact windows version and if you are using a antivirus package that includes a firewall and which exact one and anything else that might give someone an idea what is going haywire.

Further explanation to 1.: Often you get asked after playing FL the first time, immediately after leaving, that Freelancer wants to access the Internet and if this should be allowed. If you say yes an exception to the firewall is added. Some Firewalls do that automatically though, so maybe you never saw that message in your life. Maybe something went wrong there.

Further explanation to 2.: Normally FL makes only changes in that folder, if you rename it so it can't be found it is restored by the game on my machine. If you are lucky it might run again for one time and you could fix your problem this way without a need for a complete reinstall.

RE: Disconnecting from the server. - Eiridian - 06-27-2019

(06-26-2019, 06:33 AM)Gray_Mouser Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 02:02 AM)Eiridian Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 11:06 PM)Gray_Mouser Wrote: 1. Did you check if your firewall blocks the game after one run?
2. Try to rename the folder users\youruser\documents\my games\Freelancer e.g. in Freelancer_bkp. If you run it now again, does it work once again and is there a new folder Freelancer now?

yeah, that is correct. I can login perfectly fine after i install the game but as soon as i exit i no longer can log in. the game loads perfectly fine and i can go through all the menus up until i actually go to load the game after picking which character i want to play. thats when the issues come. As for as switching betweeen mods or vanilla, i dont do either as ive played the original game way too much and i just enjoy this mod over others.
Did you follow up the two suggestions I marked above? If you need more information for that say so.

To solve your problem anybody will need information to help you. At the moment there is IMHO not enough information to help you, e.g. it would be helpful to know your exact windows version and if you are using a antivirus package that includes a firewall and which exact one and anything else that might give someone an idea what is going haywire.

Further explanation to 1.: Often you get asked after playing FL the first time, immediately after leaving, that Freelancer wants to access the Internet and if this should be allowed. If you say yes an exception to the firewall is added. Some Firewalls do that automatically though, so maybe you never saw that message in your life. Maybe something went wrong there.

Further explanation to 2.: Normally FL makes only changes in that folder, if you rename it so it can't be found it is restored by the game on my machine. If you are lucky it might run again for one time and you could fix your problem this way without a need for a complete reinstall.

Hey Grey_Mouser, sorry about that i completely forgot about the rest. I run windows 10 professional and home on my desktop and laptop respectively and Norton 360 for an anti-virus for both. I'm not sure how to check if it blocks after single runs of applications. Everywhere I can think of looking doesn't show it being blocked. Now as for your explainations; I don't understand what you mean by renaming the folder. Also I've never seen any message showing Freelancer wanting access to the internet so maybe that has been my problem this whole time? For now I'll keep looking around and if you or others have a fix that'll be great.

RE: Disconnecting from the server. - Gray_Mouser - 06-27-2019

(06-27-2019, 10:20 PM)Eiridian Wrote: Hey Grey_Mouser, sorry about that i completely forgot about the rest. I run windows 10 professional and home on my desktop and laptop respectively and Norton 360 for an anti-virus for both. I'm not sure how to check if it blocks after single runs of applications. Everywhere I can think of looking doesn't show it being blocked. Now as for your explainations; I don't understand what you mean by renaming the folder. Also I've never seen any message showing Freelancer wanting access to the internet so maybe that has been my problem this whole time? For now I'll keep looking around and if you or others have a fix that'll be great.
Try to check if Freelancer is allowed internet access according to this tutorial:
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v6958602_ns_retail_en_us

About the suggestion to rename the folder:
Did you even find it? It's in the path where by default your documents are saved, the game makes a directory "My Games\Freelancer" there. And saves certain settings like the keyboardsettings named UserKeyMap.ini or the general settings PerfOptions.ini and the Discovery chatlog named DSAce log. Instead of renaming it you can as well move it somewhere else. Both options will cause the game to be unable to find it and restore it. Of course the chatlog will be a new and empty one and the general and keyboardsettings will be the default settings you get with a fresh install. As a smaller step you could delete the Accts folder in that directory. It contains data that is only interesting for Singleplayer and often causes problems with the Multiplayer. If that solves your problem temporarely, you might have to delete it again if FL stops running in future.