Discovery Gaming Community
Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" (/showthread.php?tid=170880)

Pages: 1 2 3

Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Thexare - 05-27-2019

Freelancer IFF works fine for Freelancers, but that's not the only people stuck with it. Look at Barrier Gate, that's a "Freelancer Base".

That doesn't make sense.

Now, an Independent Base, that would. And it'd still work for Freelancers, while also covering all sorts of other characters like, say, the Amenhotep (whose application for an IFF change reminded me I had this idea ages ago), or an upstart smuggler gang, or a new helium extraction company, or an independent researcher out in Omicron Greekletter, or... well, you get the idea

All I'm suggesting is an IFF text change for better in-universe logic and RP flexibility, nothing further. A text change on or alternately-named/described rule-clone of Freelancer ID wouldn't be a terrible thing to accompany it, though.

RE: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Skorak - 05-27-2019

Kinda agree. We're so far away from the game 'Freelancer' that it's really not necessary to have it in here by force.

RE: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Groshyr - 05-27-2019

Civillian base sounds much better?

RE: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Megaera - 05-27-2019

Civilian Iff could work.

RE: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Sombs - 05-27-2019

Civilian doesn't fit. Independent is better. Not everyone who doesn't belong to a faction is a civilian. But everyone who doesn't belong to a faction is independent.

RE: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Lythrilux - 05-27-2019

Nah keep it as is. It's iconic.

RE: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Dark.Star - 05-27-2019

Id say keep Freelancer IFF and ID
But add civillian IDs back, with Civillian IFF or no IFF at all.
Or, a ID that says: No affiliation with no IFF
There are certain ships that have no affiliation at all and still have to stick to Freelancer ID
Despite how it might sound, you might think having a No affiliation ID would be very powerful with things like: Can engage anything anywhere. For short, can do inRP what they please. But no, have such a ID and put some PvP limitations. Having such a ID would even allow for more RP to be possibly made. This is just my opinion, im sure there are setbacks about this, though I theyre not in my head right now. What would you think about this?

RE: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Enkidu - 05-27-2019

A Freelance mercenary is basically what the ID is, so the ID should 100% be freelancer.

IFF can easily be 'independent'.

RE: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - Dark.Star - 05-27-2019

(05-27-2019, 11:31 AM)Dark.Star Wrote: Or, a ID that says: No affiliation with no IFF
There are certain ships that have no affiliation at all and still have to stick to Freelancer ID
Despite how it might sound, you might think having a No affiliation ID would be very powerful with things like: Can engage anything anywhere. For short, can do inRP what they please. But no, have such a ID and put some PvP limitations. Having such a ID would even allow for more RP to be possibly made. This is just my opinion, im sure there are setbacks about this, though I theyre not in my head right now. What would you think about this?
Id still say this.
For example Kalh renewed his Amenhotep SRP ID or whatever it was to No IFF because it had Freelancer IFF and he was not acting like one, at all. Such things can be prevented by using what i quoted above, just saying

RE: Suggestion: Rename Freelancer IFF to "Independent" - JonasHudson - 05-27-2019

Its Sirius. The culture that arose from an extreme space faring civilization took to using the term Freelancer to describe independents, since most independents you'd come across for centuries would have been freelancers. This story started out as the birth of the 'freelancer' era, from the newly found freedom of easy individual space flight.

I lost the box to my disk years ago, but I remember it describes how space ships are now like cars, and everybody can have one. Everyone started out as a Freelancer.

This may be a mod but we are still playing Freelancer. Nothing wrong with the way it is.

But what I think indie rp'ers could use again is the Civilian ID. Basically it would have to be so you could only defend yourself, and then just use no iff or a corporate one and claim you are a civilian, independent or otherwise. A Civilian IFF would be fine, but I wouldn't see BG broacasting as a civilian. Its a private run base, makes it a freelance operation.

EDIT: In RL civilians don't use IFF's, except hospitals, field hospitals, medical vehicles, etc, and thats to avoid being blown up by accident in warzones.