Discovery Gaming Community
Planet Volgograd: Only One City? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Planet Volgograd: Only One City? (/showthread.php?tid=171672)

Planet Volgograd: Only One City? - HrabCOrp - 06-30-2019

I'm going to write a bio for my character, who was born on Planet Volgograd.
A rather simple question: Volgograd City is the only city on the planet? Or I can mention another one in the bio?

RE: Planet Volgograd: Only One City? - Havok - 06-30-2019

Planet Volgograd is made up of a series of Domes that house people basically.

reference

RE: Planet Volgograd: Only One City? - HrabCOrp - 06-30-2019

(06-30-2019, 10:46 AM)Havok Wrote: Planet Volgograd is made up of a series of Domes that house people basically.

reference

I see. But Volgograd City is mentioned as the capital city on the Wiki. Can I consider other series of Domes as a separate city then? Would it look viable enough? Or there is simply no "other Domes" on the surface?

RE: Planet Volgograd: Only One City? - LaWey - 06-30-2019

My theory, after digging all avaible infocards, RP and some "modelling" - cities on Volgograd were founded for mining resources (density of planet getted from infocard give clues that rich on metals/high-density elements. So i guess mostly logical decision was just modify mines to normal livingspace. When population become significant, i guess domes were constructed. What i mean, probably there another domes, just it probably start to rise rather from underground. That mentioned Kremlin dome just most big and glorious, and give vibes of real on-ground city. Another ones probably not even close so big, because its more easy from engineering build multiple small domes rather than one big.

Also considering possible conditions on Volgograd, guess domes concentrated at equatorial line (where probably even possible "spring")

RE: Planet Volgograd: Only One City? - HrabCOrp - 06-30-2019

Quite logical theory you have!
Thank you all for your replies! I'll try to develop a solid concept to be suitable for the bio. Thanks again!

RE: Planet Volgograd: Only One City? - kleinsuess2000 - 06-30-2019

When a planet is habitable, how do you stop people from spreading around the world? I suspect that the planned economy of the Coalition cannot completely stop this. The size of other settlements may not be large, but I think it should exist.

Just a personal guess

RE: Planet Volgograd: Only One City? - LaWey - 06-30-2019

Well, there is difference between settlement in proper conditions, and settlemets in harsh. For example, in north/cold regions of russia settlements sticked to infrastructure, because people depends from heat, clear water, electricity and commodities. So settlements rather rise around railroad, everything what placed further have helipad or small airfield to have communication. In winter possible more or less normal road - "zimnik". Also north region have tendency to lesser, but bigger buildings, settled compactly, because it make cheaper and easier centralised heat providing.

So, you of course right about that nothing cant really stop people from spreading, but in harsh conditions there exists objective engineering reasons. For volgograd i went from assumption, that Jiang Xi is already occupy stable orbit in golden conditions for live (because it had own eco-system, so orbit stable enough and not cause big cataclysms). So, Volgograd probably slighty farther than Jiang Xi from alpha-star, and occupy one of close possible stable orbit. But that means much worsest conditions on it, and only reason to settle it - metal-rich core. Equatorial line will be most proper for organise orbital link and also it get just more heat overall.

Other settlements exist, just not so large, probably formed after mining operation focus movements.