Discovery Gaming Community
Changing content of a Comm - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Changing content of a Comm (/showthread.php?tid=171945)

Changing content of a Comm - StDH - 07-15-2019

So i wonder,

After seeing more threads where people just changed the text to please someone or the entire recipient address after there have been answers. Is this considered a bad RP or practice? I mean, you can't change the recipient or text once a message is sent inRL and RP is supposed to resemble it, or do you see it differently?

Hypothetically
A) Someone wants to answer a comm but after few messages the recipient has been changed
B) A problem has been addressed in the message, but the sender changed the content of his first message. Which leaves Recipients answer bogus

RE: Changing content of a Comm - Sombs - 07-15-2019

The moment you send a comm, the only changes to the content should be the fixing of typos. Everything else, like altering content or even adding more paragraphs, makes you look bad. The only exception is when you have discussed it with the recipient already.

Once the comm is out, it's out. Take your time before posting the comm, read it yourself. If you think, afterwards, that you forget something, just post another comm instead of editing your post over and over again afterwards. It really just looks stupid and people usually will treat you as such.

RE: Changing content of a Comm - StDH - 07-15-2019

Yes, you're right, but how do you as an individual/group take into consideration when someone sends a comm to an entire group of factions, and then changes it into a specified group. Are you now supposed to pretend to have never heard of that comm even if you were able before?

RE: Changing content of a Comm - Sombs - 07-15-2019

If the comm was available to many factions for a considerable amount of time and later closed and only available to certain factions, you technically had access to the OP but not to anything beyond the point of closing access. Generally I'd advise to talk with the person who wrote the comm, and if you think something fishy is going on, you can always use the feedback thread or report it, in the worst case. People often try hard to not be the loser of a situation. But losing is part of the game, not only ingame. People make mistakes and need to go through the consequences.

Thank you Sombra!
You've confirmed what a partially thought of and added new insights into it ^^

RE: Changing content of a Comm - Altejago - 07-15-2019

Lessons learned, apologies for the confusion.

Amended.

RE: Changing content of a Comm - Lythrilux - 07-15-2019

Let me just say the admins told me I could do this, and then moments later after I changed the comm I got hit with a 1bil sanction for doing it and my faction was threatened.

RE: Changing content of a Comm - Yber - 07-15-2019

Edits can be undone by admins no matter how many times you do them. Possibly any edit that changes the outcome of the roleplay or aspects of it in a significant way and or could grief other parties will end in a sanction. For example, changing the value of a bounty from 2 millions to 1 million to have to pay half after someone claimed a bunch of kills. I'm fairly certain that'd go very wrong for the guy who changed it.

Common sense usually applies.

(07-15-2019, 09:50 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: Let me just say the admins told me I could do this, and then moments later after I changed the comm I got hit with a 1bil sanction for doing it and my faction was threatened.

Wew, guess it also depends on what you did besides typos? Because even after reading my RP for 15 minutes, i see some typos only after i post it, damn.

RE: Changing content of a Comm - Bannorn - 07-15-2019

(07-15-2019, 10:27 AM)Yber Wrote: Common sense usually applies.

Around here, u shur bout that?

That being said Sombra pretty much nailed it in my opinion - once its sent its sent, though I personally allow myself any edits that do not change the meaning of the message (typos, spacing, grammar and the occasional word choice) - when you write posts at 4am mistakes will happen, and of course everyone wants their RP to have its impacts without people getting distracted by "tje bse was atacked" level spelling. There's also a time element - if you've left it a few hours, enough people have seen it that any edits made at that point largely bring about confusion, not clarity, and should thus stop even if there's obvious errors still in place.