Discovery Gaming Community
[Poll] Caps & Snubs - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: [Poll] Caps & Snubs (/showthread.php?tid=171983)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Reddy - 07-16-2019

fly all classes,
get better perspective,
have fun,
~words of @Antonio

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Exe - 07-16-2019

Wise words.

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Lythrilux - 07-16-2019

(07-16-2019, 01:58 PM)TheShooter36 Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 01:12 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Use balance magic to make each class' respective guns do zero damage to each other. It'll look and feel a bit silly, especially in terms of immersion, but at the same time I'm sure it will massively boost the quality of fights.

And suddenly have bombers dominate or be useless because either caps cant do damage to them or bombers cant do damage to caps depending on implementation. This implementation will make a whole class obsolete.

It was kind of implied that bombers would not be suspect to this change.

To add to the bombers pwning caps thing, I recall the same happened during the Delta events several years ago. The 14 Mako squad was fun until people stopped flying cals and flew bombers, and we were absolutely powerless against a smaller number of bombers. Not just that, but it wasn't fun at all to be killed by something we had no means of dispatching.

I think that's the general problem with snubs. They can mothball to the point where nothing can stop them. Their agility and ability to escape and restock is annoying.

That's why I think the best solution is to make both classes unable to impact each other's fights. Caps in snub fights ruin snub fights. Snubs in cap fights ruin cap fights

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Durandal - 07-16-2019

I'm not going to get terribly involved in this discussion but I need to point out that as per my understanding of the balance magic plugin, adding lots of weapons, especially ones which aren't a BFG style thing like the SNAC or Corona, has the potential to severely tank server performance.

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Reacher - 07-16-2019

Get rid of turret splitting. That’s one way to bring back the magic of caps.

Also return missions back to how they were.

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Dan. - 07-16-2019

(07-16-2019, 02:02 PM)Reddy Wrote: fly all classes,
get better perspective,
have fun,
~words of @Antonio
+1

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Loken - 07-16-2019

(07-16-2019, 02:35 PM)Durandal Wrote: I'm not going to get terribly involved in this discussion but I need to point out that as per my understanding of the balance magic plugin, adding lots of weapons, especially ones which aren't a BFG style thing like the SNAC or Corona, has the potential to severely tank server performance.

There is already a noticeable delay with SNAC damage while the server calculates how much damage it's supposed to be doing. This seems to cause some funky blue message shenanigans as it's possible for someone else to hit the target before the damage is applied.

I can only imagine how bad it would get if you had multiple caps firing all of their secondaries at the same time.

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Nepotu - 07-16-2019

(07-16-2019, 03:01 PM)Loken Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 02:35 PM)Durandal Wrote: I'm not going to get terribly involved in this discussion but I need to point out that as per my understanding of the balance magic plugin, adding lots of weapons, especially ones which aren't a BFG style thing like the SNAC or Corona, has the potential to severely tank server performance.

There is already a noticeable delay with SNAC damage while the server calculates how much damage it's supposed to be doing. This seems to cause some funky blue message shenanigans as it's possible for someone else to hit the target before the damage is applied.

I can only imagine how bad it would get if you had multiple caps firing all of their secondaries at the same time.

That's why SNAC should be removed from that retarded plugin

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Gagadug. - 07-16-2019

Since it is possible to make weapons do different amounts of damage depending on which shipclass they hit, wouldn't it be an option to make capitals deal no significant damage to fighters and vice verca?
As far as I can tell the main problem people who mainly play snubs have with caps is that they get instakilled when other snubs hug them. That problem would cease to exist if caps didnt deal any significant damage to them. Sure they could still be hugged but so can asteroids and bases, thats a problem that wont be fixed by any change to caps.
Caps on the other hand would not be overpowered by fighter swarms any more without a real chance to defend themselves. Thats what bombers are for anyways.
The inevitable flaw is that gunboats would suffer a lack of usefulness, but I think that class is problematic anyways since they either tend to be completely useless or absolutely unbeatable, depending on how they are balanced at the current point in time, something that can be seen with many hybridish ships ( old nomad GB with cruiser range guns, Typhoon/Crecy with their old stats along the rather small size). Removing them would not be much of a loss as far as I'm concerned.
That idea would obviously need to be fleshed out but maybe its a good starting point.
As for dominant classes, I believe there is no point in making one class objectively better than the others. If that was done why would someone bother flying the underpowered class? In the end it would mean a loss of diversity in ships which in my opinion is one of the strong points of this mod.

(And where is the "Percheron should be the dominant shipclass" option please?)

RE: [Poll] Caps & Snubs - Loken - 07-16-2019

(07-16-2019, 03:19 PM)Gagadug. Wrote: Since it is possible to make weapons do different amounts of damage depending on which shipclass they hit, wouldn't it be an option to make capitals deal no significant damage to fighters and vice verca?

Please read the previous posts.