Discovery Gaming Community
Cities - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Cities (/showthread.php?tid=172075)

Cities - =Hellfire= - 07-20-2019

I was wondering if it would be possible to have cities you'd be able to fly above and in between the buildings before docking at set location.
We currently have atmospheric entry points with planet scapes simulating the upper atmosphere on some planets, that are basically separate "systems".
Would that be an idea or would it be too heavy a load on server or client?

Just imagine having dogfights in between buildings Big Grin

RE: Cities - Sombs - 07-20-2019

It's doable but have fun getting various models for buildings, landscape, etc. Hitboxing these things would be horrible, NPCs would end up doing the shenanigans you know from Major. Lots of effort for just a nice-to-have.

Meanwhile

RE: Cities - Yazov - 07-20-2019

I... briefly recall such a thing existing somewhere. But honestly can't remember what mod was it.

RE: Cities - =Hellfire= - 07-20-2019

Well, I would do it if people would like to have such a thing.
It's just that I feel we need new stuff to see and things that, in terms of gameplay, can rival with more recent games.

Also, I think it might be good to start doing things that improve the mod instead of constantly "balancing" weapons and ships...

RE: Cities - Kampanom - 07-20-2019

(07-20-2019, 05:33 PM)Pitohui Wrote: I... briefly recall such a thing existing somewhere. But honestly can't remember what mod was it.

WTS World, with biplanes. Freelancer prehistory.

RE: Cities - =Hellfire= - 07-21-2019

Or what about huge space cities? massive space stations with multiple docking locations?

Dunno, just throwing this out here to get an idea what things could be interesting for the mod.

RE: Cities - SnakeLancerHaven - 07-21-2019

(07-20-2019, 05:26 PM)James.HELLFIRE.Rascal Wrote: I was wondering if it would be possible to have cities you'd be able to fly above and in between the buildings before docking at set location.
We currently have atmospheric entry points with planet scapes simulating the upper atmosphere on some planets, that are basically separate "systems".
Would that be an idea or would it be too heavy a load on server or client?

Just imagine having dogfights in between buildings Big Grin

Crossfire had obstacles on where you could bump into (on the planet, +it had a Sea and Islands) so it showed that it can be fleshed out. But I think that would require massive amount of time and effort.

RE: Cities - Sombs - 07-21-2019

(07-21-2019, 05:19 PM)James.HELLFIRE.Rascal Wrote: Or what about huge space cities? massive space stations with multiple docking locations?

Dunno, just throwing this out here to get an idea what things could be interesting for the mod.

That's more doable, however it's unrealistic for factions to suddenly have a giant station around. Best example is Niigata. Technically we can build giant space stations with up to 500 parts quite easily already, but it wouldn't fit into the current setting since giant installations just don't pop up out of nowhere, usually.