Discovery Gaming Community
Level 16 and less NPCs - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Level 16 and less NPCs (/showthread.php?tid=172220)

Pages: 1 2 3

Level 16 and less NPCs - Chronicron - 07-27-2019

Level 16 and less NPCs.

What are these?

Basically, any kind of NPCs you encounter on your daily basis. They're spawning at ~3k away from you in their spawn areas. What good they are for? When the player activity is low, some would say that it allows the game to feel more "alive". In reality, I rarely notice for our player list to reach the required amount of numbers to disable the NPCs. So what are the real problems that NPCs bring into our life?

Trade Lane Disruption

Most of us know that time is money. And when an infamous TRADE LANE DISRUPTED signal comes up into play three times per system, caused by a pack of suddenly reappearing NPCs, trading becomes not as enjoyable. Transporting Capital Ships via Trade Lanes is not an enjoyable process as well, especially Battleships and Carriers, and repeating disruption of trade lanes, caused by NPCs, is quite disturbing, especially when allies are in need of urgent assistance of their fellow capital vessel.

Trade Lane Ramming

NPCs don't just spawn out of nowhere. They also spawn inside of Trade Lanes. And they do that preliminary, already being inside of it. therefore ramming any transport or capital ship, attempting to enter a Trade Lane. Not only it disorients the ship itself, it also deals a slight amount of damage to it's shields.

Capital Ship Ramming

NPCs always ram Capital ships. I am not going to pretend like I know what causes Capital Ships to flip so much when they are being barely scratched by any snubcraft (although I heard it has something to do with mass), however, in fleet fights, PoB sieges or capital duels, retaining your Capship's position is quite important. Not many players do pay attention to NPCs, which might be of the same affiliation as they are, which might still ram their capital ship.

Stuck Jump Holes/Jump Gates Bug

An infamous bug known as "Stuck Jump Hole" or "Stuck Jump Gate", caused by, what I assume, would be an unsuccessfull dock by an NPCs, when it shifts to engage the enemy midway from docking with a Jump Hole/Jump Gate (with Docking Lights on) and dies. I don't know if it was fixed or not.

Mining

During mining sessions, NPCs are, too, nothing but a nuisance and distraction. As it was said, time is money, and time wasted on shooting NPCs which distract you from mining Ores or Gas, is basically time wasted. There are, from time to time, counter-balancing NPCs in the area, but the main priority of NPCs will always be you.

Just like sand, hostile NPCs are irritating to the end, and when you're making a clean character, some of them have some friends you would want to stay on neutral terms with. Sadly, your frienemies don't see it that way. In no time you will notice your rep sheet stained in full red and green, throwing yourself into a perpetual cycle of restarts and dropreps.

What kind of solutions are we looking for?

Many there are. From completely disabling them to converting NPCs into something more interesting.

Do you have any kind of different problems with NPCs? Or perhaps you feel sympathetic to our artificial friends and see pros in their existence? Suggest and discuss.

RE: Level 16 and less NPC - Immortality23 - 07-27-2019

I'm going to +1 this, all of it, in fact.
My fix on NPCs would to actually make them more deadly in the edge worlds, and even rare scary encounters in house space beyond the main bases/planets.

RE: Level 16 and less NPC - ~Chio - 07-27-2019

CAPITAL SHIP RAMMING

This one is the most annoying one for me. During a PvP fight, suddenly hostile NPCs show up and bump you 360 degrees. You can't concentrate in such fight.

I'm pretty sure this one requires some hard coding.

CMs

Those CMs are too effective. I was literally CDing a NPC 0m far away from my ship, CD spamming it. NPC managed to cruise away. This is also very irritating during cap missions when you're launching rockets at 'em. Nightmares, Hurricanes.

When I was in my bomber and attempting to Nova hostile NPC cruisers during a mission, their CMs were blocking away all those novas, even from like 0m far away from the NPC.

RE: Level 16 and less NPC - LaWey - 07-27-2019

I will start with
Quote:Mining

During mining sessions, NPC are, too, nothing but a nuisance and distraction. As it was said, time is money, and time wasted on shooting NPC which distract you from mining Ores or Gas, is basically time wasted. There are, from time to time, counter-balancing NPC in the area, but the main priority of NPC will always be you.

That indeed crap. Whoever think those NPC is fun - you are gross people. THEY ARE NOT FUN. NPC farming and other mining SHOULD NOT cross. After every sci-data run i have like 15-20 bounty hunters inside my cargo, because those annoying crap flipping corvo, so i should shoot them to save more scanner bats. Does it make me fun? NO ***** WAY.

How it should be done, if you want make it realy interesting? It should be done like in EvE. Rarely (like once per 15-30 minutes) spawns one-two NPC which not really hard to kill, but which interrupt your mining if you dont shoot them. (This is basically one of anti-AFK mechanic)

RE: Level 16 and less NPC - Megaera - 07-27-2019

Dont remove NPCs. They are a great way to fix a rep flaw by shooting certain NPCs
Last time one of my ship had a broken rep chart and was hostile to both LH and Rogues, I shot enough liberty navy ships to make my rep good enough to dock on the LH base and get a bribe there.

RE: Level 16 and less NPC - Lythrilux - 07-27-2019

(07-27-2019, 12:21 PM)Chronicron Wrote: Trade Lane Disruption

Most of us know that time is money. And when an infamous TRADE LANE DISRUPTED signal comes up into play three times per system, caused by a pack of suddenly reappearing NPC, trading becomes not as enjoyable. Transporting Capital Ships via Trade Lanes is not an enjoyable proccess aswell, especially Battleships and Carriers, and repeating disruption of trade lanes, caused by NPC, is quite disturbing, especially when allies are in need of urgent assistance of their fellow capital vessel.

AFAIK this is hard coded and cannot be fixed.

RE: Level 16 and less NPC - Megaera - 07-27-2019

tbh, I think NPCs should be buffed so Sirius has a more dangerous feel to it

RE: Level 16 and less NPC - Emperor Tekagi - 07-27-2019

I can see a point at the mining thing, it is annoying to have NPCs appear and beam up your stuff or bump you endlessly, but otherwise I see no point in removing NPCs anywhere. Afterall they are the best people we have, never salty, always there to pew.. xd

RE: Level 16 and less NPC - Chuba - 07-27-2019

(07-27-2019, 01:01 PM)Megaera Wrote: tbh, I think NPCs should be buffed so Sirius has a more dangerous feel to it

they were strong before your time and it was one of the most awful things in Disco. You couldn't rp properly because a group of npc fighters would damage you if you didnt move, it was lame.

RE: Level 16 and less NPC - Invoker - 07-27-2019

(07-27-2019, 01:07 PM)Chuba Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 01:01 PM)Megaera Wrote: tbh, I think NPCs should be buffed so Sirius has a more dangerous feel to it

they were strong before your time and it was one of the most awful things in Disco. You couldn't rp properly because a group of npc fighters would damage you if you didnt move, it was lame.

Not necessary to buff all NPCs, just ones within zones which supposed to be dangerous in RP, such as: contested territories, zones around nomad or wild bases, house capital planets.