Discovery Gaming Community
What matters most to you about Discovery? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: What matters most to you about Discovery? (/showthread.php?tid=172279)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - Garrett Jax - 07-30-2019

(07-29-2019, 05:06 PM)Yber Wrote: i dont like the tendency of making pointless threads. everything that moves freelancer away from a space shooter is bad, every activity that isn't related in some way to space shooting will always be objectively worse than one that does because freelancer is a space shooter, not euro truck simulator. different games are built for different things and freelancer and trading don't go together. name me 1 person who played vanilla freelancer and unlocked missions by making money with trading instead of doing pve missions.

because admins have low brain power and always look at things from the losing side to avoid griefing and bad situations instead of looking at things from a space shooter perspective. they'd rather avoid the frustration someone feels when dying rather than have the satisfaction of someone getting a kill, it's always been like this

everything that leads to le me special le me snowflake such as unique stuff is bad and should be removed from the game. maybe then we'll have triple digits in the playerbase again

if you still can't understand that a space shooter is made for shooting and not trading i dont know what's wrong with you

if ur main focus is pvp u can enjoy rp on the side and it helps make the game more diverse, if your main focus is literally anything else there are a million games out there that do trading, roleplaying, circlejerking and all of these combined much better than this game ever will

conclusion
pvp > rp
its ok

I stumbled upon an Admin discussion in the archives when I first became a Green. The discussion took place around 2007 or 2008 on the part of those were serving as Admins during that time. It was on the topic of what to do about the low activity of Disco. At the time, the server was slanted heavily toward pvp. The problem was that the server pop was very low. It was decided, for this server to survive, a greater emphasis had to be placed on RP. After all, they reasoned, pvp could be found on several Disco servers (at the time there were a lot of other Disco mods out there). It was RP that would set this server apart from the others. Rules were enforced that would generate at least the opportunity for RP if players wished to avail themselves of it.

I'm not saying you're wrong in your assessment, Yber. It just struck me as funny how things turn full circle sometimes.

The most fun I had personally, as a player and as an Admin, was when I set up simple events or scenarios that lasted a couple hours or so. Activity seems to spike when the Admins are actively participating in ingame events. I haven't been in touch with Disco for a couple years now, so I can't speak to where things are with activity. I try to read up on the events in the announcements, but they seem to complex for my pea brain to handle. Old age and all. Simple is better for me.

Anyways, I'm happy to see this game is still kicking and very nice to see some familiar names. Yours as well, Yber. Smile

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - SnakThree - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 03:44 AM)Garrett Jax Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 05:06 PM)Yber Wrote: i dont like the tendency of making pointless threads. everything that moves freelancer away from a space shooter is bad, every activity that isn't related in some way to space shooting will always be objectively worse than one that does because freelancer is a space shooter, not euro truck simulator. different games are built for different things and freelancer and trading don't go together. name me 1 person who played vanilla freelancer and unlocked missions by making money with trading instead of doing pve missions.

because admins have low brain power and always look at things from the losing side to avoid griefing and bad situations instead of looking at things from a space shooter perspective. they'd rather avoid the frustration someone feels when dying rather than have the satisfaction of someone getting a kill, it's always been like this

everything that leads to le me special le me snowflake such as unique stuff is bad and should be removed from the game. maybe then we'll have triple digits in the playerbase again

if you still can't understand that a space shooter is made for shooting and not trading i dont know what's wrong with you

if ur main focus is pvp u can enjoy rp on the side and it helps make the game more diverse, if your main focus is literally anything else there are a million games out there that do trading, roleplaying, circlejerking and all of these combined much better than this game ever will

conclusion
pvp > rp
its ok

I stumbled upon an Admin discussion in the archives when I first became a Green. The discussion took place around 2007 or 2008 on the part of those were serving as Admins during that time. It was on the topic of what to do about the low activity of Disco. At the time, the server was slanted heavily toward pvp. The problem was that the server pop was very low. It was decided, for this server to survive, a greater emphasis had to be placed on RP. After all, they reasoned, pvp could be found on several Disco servers (at the time there were a lot of other Disco mods out there). It was RP that would set this server apart from the others. Rules were enforced that would generate at least the opportunity for RP if players wished to avail themselves of it.

I'm not saying you're wrong in your assessment, Yber. It just struck me as funny how things turn full circle sometimes.

The most fun I had personally, as a player and as an Admin, was when I set up simple events or scenarios that lasted a couple hours or so. Activity seems to spike when the Admins are actively participating in ingame events. I haven't been in touch with Disco for a couple years now, so I can't speak to where things are with activity. I try to read up on the events in the announcements, but they seem to complex for my pea brain to handle. Old age and all. Simple is better for me.

Anyways, I'm happy to see this game is still kicking and very nice to see some familiar names. Yours as well, Yber. Smile

Rules about leaking admin threads haven't changed. See you in six months. Oh wait, that's not leak that prevents Congress from spying on LibGov. Carry on.

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - Kampanom - 07-30-2019

Population because it's what keeps the bloody thing alive and with 60 people on a good day I can only see it a vegetable on life support, exploration because it's supposed to be in the name and there's very little of it past like four semi-inaccessible systems you visit like twice a month (on top of my feet, I would add a bunch of more accessible systems through the appearance of fluctuating jump holes, all with no nav map, like in Omicron Major. Then you're really exploring that unknown, and for that keeping a pen and a piece of paper would really help you keeping track of things. Eventually as people report their findings and get things named after them if they're extremely vain or things they want if they aren't you get rewards from governments and more areas of the map become visible), accessibility because the learning curve of the pvp is frankly irritatingly steep, and if player actions on the storyline could matter beyond what little is approved by the devs that would also be cool, like I know things don't have to turn as goofy in extremely player-driven Shattered World's, but come on.

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - Friendly-Freelancer - 07-30-2019

Some more PvE Event.

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - Hemlocke - 07-30-2019

The role-play opportunity this place and it's community provides.

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - Major. - 07-30-2019

The only game/mod aspect that holds me here is actually mining.

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - Loken - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 07:17 AM)Gerhard Wolf Wrote: The only game/mod aspect that holds me here is actually mining.
Nuclear mining.

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - Ash - 07-30-2019

Wow, people really don’t give a damn about sci data.

Interesting.

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - Reddy - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 01:54 PM)Ash Wrote: Wow, people really don’t give a damn about sci data.

Interesting.

scidata was terribly implemented, isn't surprising.

RE: What matters most to you about Discovery? - St.Denis - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 03:02 PM)Reddy Wrote: scidata was terribly implemented, isn't surprising.

Didn't stop people chasing it and buying all the 'special' guns etc.