Discovery Gaming Community
Thoughts of a soldier in the battlefront - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Thoughts of a soldier in the battlefront (/showthread.php?tid=172752)

Thoughts of a soldier in the battlefront - Dank Vader - 08-14-2019

Logistics vessel Vauban, New London system, 14-08-742 A.G.S/826 A.S.

People are running around, everything and everyone is constantly on the move. There's an electricity in the atmosphere, but at the same time things are seemingly calm, like nothing in particular is going on. One can tell that it's a calm before a storm though, as the end of the Bretonia vs. Gallia war comes to an end. Both sides are tired, exhausted, yet they still fight, each one for their own reasons.

The bar of the vauban is open 24/7, for those that are temporarily off-duty and want to take a break before they're called to go back to space. One of those people is Jacques Lu Cont, a Maitre of the Marine Royale. He's just sitting in a corner, with his regular "black eye" coffee (black coffee with a couple of espresso drops) on the table, staring out the window that's facing the southampton wreck. After a while, his old friend Kevin comes by, and sits down at the same table Jacques is in.

Kevin: Bonsoir.

Jacques: Coucou....

Kevin: Quoi de neuf?

Jacques: I don't know......things are moving fast, and I don't know if we're doing the right thing.

Kevin: Want to talk about it?

Jacques: Well, I'm sure you're aware of our new orders to advance to planet new london, right?

Kevin: Yeah, we're moving to the atmosphere now.

Jacques: Exactly. I'm not sure if this is the right move.

Kevin: Why so? We managed to finally open a window through the bretonian defences.

Jacques: I'm fully aware, I was right there when it happened, in my bomber. I helped open that breach in their defences, but the thing is, I don't think bombarding the whole planet is a good idea. We're not killers. Our duty is to protect those who can't protect themselves, not annihilate them.

Kevin: Don't forget they're bretonian citizens though. Bretonia is our enemy.

Jacques: I'm fully aware of that, and I'm willing to fight against the armed forces and the liberty navy, who foolishly sided with them. We have to destroy their forces so we can proceed after all. I'm just saying, I don't agree with the bombardment of cities when unarmed people that have no idea what's going on are in. There must be some other way to lure their queen and her family out of that palace and then destroy the remaining soldiers of the armed forces and their allies.

Kevin: So you're fine killing soldiers but not civilians?

Jacques: I'm pretty sure they knew what's going on when they signed up, so they willingly turned against us. They know the deal. Civilians on the other hand, weren't asked to push bretonia into war. They just dealt with it the best way they could. Many of them even left bretonia in the first place. Anyway, my point is, I don't agree with the idea of killing unarmed civilians, we should have focused in destroying the enemy military forces, bring them to their knees, and then we could've stepped in and establish a protectorate.

Kevin: Planning to do something about it?

Jacques: Not really, there's nothing I can do. I'll keep fighting of course, it's the only thing we can do now, and besides that, it's our duty as soldiers in the Marine Royale. The king though has left new Paris, the council is ready to just come into the planet.....we've already lost the war. I don't know if I'll be able to see Orleans again, but at least I'm glad I got my mother out of there. She's in a safe place for now.

Kevin: We will succeed, trust me. We might've lost to the council but we will survive to see a better day. We'll get Orleans back, and we will be able to return to gallia once things here are over.

Jacques: I doubt it'll happen immediately, but I hope you're right....I miss home, I kind of want to rest. All these years at the bretonian front don't really seem to get anywhere. Nevertheless, my ships are ready, and I'll be there to help, as I always am. It's time to end this, once and for all.

Kevin: I'm sure the finale will be grand.

Jacques: You're right Kevin, it will be. We'll turn that fight into something we will remember.

The discussion kept going for quite a while, with Jacques and Kevin chatting about previous fights and other memories that reached as far back as their childhood while having a break from all those recent fights, since they were mostly inseparable friends for years and years. Nobody can be sure about the outcome, but it'll definitely be a night to remember. Both houses will fall, but the real question is, which one will fall more than the other?