Discovery Gaming Community
Discovery on Linux: A guide - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Tutorials & Tools (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: Discovery on Linux: A guide (/showthread.php?tid=173057)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - moduletux - 06-23-2020

Ok, I've got it working well and the 1FPS issue fixed. I'll update the installer soon.

This is running in the Lutris-5.6.2-x86_64 version of WINE. This version includes:
  • Wine Staging patches
  • DXVK
  • ESync

Adding in d3d8to9 fixes the 1FPS issue, so I'll udpate the installer to add that.

EDIT: Updated local Lutris installer file

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - PhoenixClaw - 06-23-2020

(06-01-2020, 12:00 AM)_IOnut Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 10:29 PM)moduletux Wrote: I have created a new Lutris installer that will install Freelancer (provided you have the ISO mounted), .NET, the DLLs needed by the mod, and the Discovery Mod itself. To try it out, make sure you have the following dependencies met:

1. Lutris is Installed
  2. You have the dependent libraries from the OP's post installed. For Ubuntu (and derivatives) users these package names are: libpulse0:i386, gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0:i386, libmpg123-0:i386, and libnss-mdns:i386
  3. Click on "Show Unpublished Installers"
  4. Click "Install" on the version named "Discovery version"

After Installing the game runs at 1 fps. This happens after I connect to the server.

The vanilla install runs very smooth.
I tried different options in lutris and also the launcher with same result.

easiest fix back when I was on Linux was a simple script checking on which core Freelancer is running and assigning it to any other core than core0 (actual core 1). cause somehow it has this problem when it's running on the first core.
I didn't use a script tho... I used a hotkey, which assigned Freelancer.exe to core 4 (last physical core on my quadcore). Problem was whenever u docked/undocked/switched system u had to press it again, as Freelancer re-assigned itself to Core0

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - moduletux - 06-23-2020

(06-01-2020, 04:09 PM)Misfit Wrote: easiest fix back when I was on Linux was a simple script checking on which core Freelancer is running and assigning it to any other core than core0 (actual core 1). cause somehow it has this problem when it's running on the first core.
I didn't use a script tho... I used a hotkey, which assigned Freelancer.exe to core 4 (last physical core on my quadcore). Problem was whenever u docked/undocked/switched system u had to press it again, as Freelancer re-assigned itself to Core0

Thankfully projects like, Lutris, DXVK, Proton, and more have made the entire process easier. There's usually no need for scripts anymore unless you're a Lutris installer maintainer or you really really want to.

That's why I've spent time on my Lutris installer making sure it works and revisited it when I saw there were issues. I want to make this easy for other users so they can just (more or less) click + play.

I'm not sure what the core issue with the FPS is, but adding the d3d8to9 dll to the Discovery gamedir and then using DXVK (translate DX9, 10, and 11 to Vulkan) fixes the problem and boosts performance significantly.

Here's a look at the YAML file for lutris: https://github.com/dhollinger/lutris_installers/blob/master/local-installers/freelancer/freelancer-discovery-local.yaml

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - Misfit - 07-13-2020

Nobody is ever going to use this information and it's not Linux but I thought I'd put it here anyway.

Disco on FreeBSD kinda JustWorks™ (I don't have sound idk what that's about)
  • Install i386-wine, winetricks, mono (if you're using callum's patcher) and xmlstarlet (if you're using my account script)
  • with winetricks install directplay and msacm32
  • If you want to use my account switcher/launcher script thingo then remove all the lines in the script that refer to the custom wine path and change all xmlstarlet commands to use xml instead of xmlstarlet
  • Play the game
  • ???
  • Profit

Also I'll probably update the initial guide at some point since there have been advancements with recent wine versions and callum's patcher existing and putting it all in that launcher bash script.

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - mm33dd - 09-13-2021

Hello, I did as the guide says, I created the 32 prefix and checked for the packages, they were already installed (some in newer versions). The launcher didn't crashed and updated itself and the game so I didn't use the old-wine launcher thing.
But I got the same result as always, the game doesn't have internet access.
I'm using Ubuntu 18.04

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - Groshyr - 09-14-2021

Perhaps will be useful to someone else who mad enough to run Freelancer on Linux (i'm using arch, btw).

So as been said, tested on Arch Linux with wine staging 6.16: works fine, aside of odd FPS drops every ~15 seconds (see screenshot for FPS graph and another for (h)top output) everything went smooth -- I had wine mono and gecko installed and launched DLauncher without issue but used it only for switching profiles. Freelancer.exe launched without issue as expected. Considering a single core double thread APU (AMD A4-4300M) I utilise - most likely hardware to blame.

In winetricks had installed the following packages: amstream, d3dx9_24 > d3dx9_43 (not sure if necessary, but guide on WineHQ had them listed), d3dx9, devenum, directplay (required for multiplayer, as far as I know), dotnet40, mfc42, msacm32, quartz_feb10.

^ Issue was in the prefix version's and lack of CPU. On older prefix cpu was not that bloated so lesser drops.

The server IP has been updated to 95.217.88.9:2302, thus replace -s163.172.117.137:2302 to -s95.217.88.9:2302.

p.s. Lutris script was failing (no_file_provided error) the installation after the discovery itself been installed. Didn't find the reason yet, but if someone will - please share/submit the fix.

p.s.s. Guess its worth to make my own guide?

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - moduletux - 04-21-2022

(09-14-2021, 12:17 PM)Groshyr Wrote: Perhaps will be useful to someone else who mad enough to run Freelancer on Linux (i'm using arch, btw).

So as been said, tested on Arch Linux with wine staging 6.16: works fine, aside of odd FPS drops every ~15 seconds (see screenshot for FPS graph and another for (h)top output) everything went smooth -- I had wine mono and gecko installed and launched DLauncher without issue but used it only for switching profiles. Freelancer.exe launched without issue as expected. Considering a single core double thread APU (AMD A4-4300M) I utilise - most likely hardware to blame.

In winetricks had installed the following packages: amstream, d3dx9_24 > d3dx9_43 (not sure if necessary, but guide on WineHQ had them listed), d3dx9, devenum, directplay (required for multiplayer, as far as I know), dotnet40, mfc42, msacm32, quartz_feb10.

^ Issue was in the prefix version's and lack of CPU. On older prefix cpu was not that bloated so lesser drops.

The server IP has been updated to 95.217.88.9:2302, thus replace -s163.172.117.137:2302 to -s95.217.88.9:2302.

p.s. Lutris script was failing (no_file_provided error) the installation after the discovery itself been installed. Didn't find the reason yet, but if someone will - please share/submit the fix.

p.s.s. Guess its worth to make my own guide?

Sorry for the late response, the Lutris script is being worked on now. There was a recent bug in Lutris preventing the installation of Freelancer altogether. Going to be taking another shot at getting everything working again, easy to test.

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - Stuffz - 12-31-2022

Hello Linux friends.

I installed disco on a linux pc today (running on Pop!_OS) and added it as a non-steam game to my library. Launching it via proton actually worked fine. I can start the launcher and I can start Disco from the launcher just fine, seems to run with decent fps too.

However: I can not access the server or patch the game as it seems like the game is not able to get network connection.
My search led me to this post: https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/5879990700806570789/?ctp=3
Unfortunately it did not fix anything for me =(

Anyone got any great ideas about this? Do you think I should try going the lutris/wine route as described in the guide here?

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - Groshyr - 12-31-2022

Is DirectPlay installed for the prefix you use?

RE: Discovery on Linux: A guide - Stuffz - 12-31-2022

(12-31-2022, 02:49 AM)Groshyr Wrote: Is DirectPlay installed for the prefix you use?

I didn't install anything other than steam tbh. I guess I'll need something more custom.