Discovery Gaming Community
Leviathan Peace Conference - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Leviathan Peace Conference (/showthread.php?tid=173467)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Leviathan Peace Conference - Capt. Henry Morgan - 09-12-2019

[Image: 4B4xoW1.jpg]
Natio Octavarium Consular Liner Leviathan, Leeds Orbit

Welcome to the Leviathan Peace Conference!

All of the attending delegates had arrived, and the conference was to begin shortly, but Consul John Riley still had a few minutes to walk around the room, shaking hands with the various delegates and making some discreet last-second checks on the arrangements. He knew that Commander Jankowski's crew had pulled out all the stops and made every conceivable necessary arrangement, but a career in business, and a more recent one in politics, had taught him to take no chances.

The conference was being hosted in one of the ship portside banquet halls. One wall of the room was dominated by huge floor-to-ceiling windows that gave an impressive view of the ravaged planet below them. Along one wall was a buffet table with food and drink from every nation represented at the conference. The various foods were placed together on the table to encourage the delegations to intermingle. The Maltese foods, prepared with ingredients imported from Malta itself, were marked with an orange tag, warning the delegates that they contained trace amounts of cardamine. The head chef, formerly a chef at the five-star Leeds Restaurant before the war, from Wellington's on Canberra Star City had joined the staff of the Leviathan for this conference, guaranteeing that all the food would be of the very highest quality.

In the center of the room was six tables arranged in a circle. There was ample space between the tables to allow aides and serving staff to pass through unimpeded. The spaces, along with the placement of the tables, kept opposing delegations from being seated too close to each other. If the Gallic and IMG tables happened to be facing the windows, well, surely that was a coincidence. With the chosen arrangement, somebody had to be facing outside, after all.

Now that Riley had finished his rounds, it was time to begin the conference itself. He joined his fellow Octavarian delegates at Natio Octavarium's table. Consul Riley was a man in his mid 40s, dressed in a perfectly tailored Bretonian suit in the latest New London fashion. On his lapel was a pin bearing the Octavarian seal, and his suit bore his customary blood diamond cufflinks. To his right was Taskmaster Eva Flores, Leader of the Fourth Octavarium Fleet. The veteran Taskmaster cut an impressive figure in her immaculate dress uniform. She had close-cropped hair and a bearing that spoke of years of front line combat experience. She appeared unusually young for her role, but the cardamine inhaler she wore clearly advertised her Maltese heritage, and the fact that she was likely a good bit older than her appearance would suggest. Seated to Riley's left was Commander Evelynn Fairfax, representing the Octavarium Intelligence Commission. The statuesque blonde-haired intelligence agent wore a suit nearly as fine as Riley's own.

As the delegates took their places, Riley stood to speak.

"Fellow delegates, I welcome you all aboard the Leviathan. I am honored that you have accepted our invitation. For nearly a decade, our nations have been embroiled in the largest, most destructive conflict since our ancestors arrived in Sirius. Perhaps in all of human history. Just outside those windows, we see the price of continued warfare. Continuing this conflict can only result in more worlds suffering Leeds' fate.
Today, I hope we can put aside our differences and take the first steps in moving away from the brink. We must find a way towards peace, for the sake of our children, and the worlds we hope to leave for them."

Riley paused for a moment to let his words sink in.

"In front of each of you is a copy of the agenda we previously agreed on. Our first topic is the recognition of the Gallic Provisional Government, and the permanent government to follow. As the Kingdom of Bretonia has kindly allowed this conference to take place on their territory, I would like to begin with them."

Riley sat down and waited for the Bretonian delegate to begin.

Leviathan Peace Conference Agenda
  • Legal Status of the current Gallic Government
  • Status of the Gallic Royalist Enclave
  • Repatriation of POWs and civilians to their home nations
  • War crimes tribunals
  • Reparations
  • Reconstruction
  • Post-war diplomacy, territorial claims, and access to resources
  • Post-war regional trade

Delegations Attending
Natio Octavarium
  • Consul John Riley
  • Taskmaster Eva Flores, 4OF
  • Commander Evelynn Fairfax, OIC
Kingdom of Bretonia
  • William Frederick Volker Steiner
  • Admiral John Redmond, BAF
Crayter Republic
  • Fleet Admiral Amanda Townley
Maltese Unitary Republic of Hispania
  • Consul Hernan Luis Escudero Grijalva
Gallic Provisional Government
  • Rose Aveline de Voisines, Grand Duchy of Burgundy
  • Contre-amiral Daniel d'Argenlieu, Grand Duchy of Burgundy
  • André Nivaggioni, Syndicated Minarchy of Provence
  • Général Pierre LaFlamme, Republique of Gallia
Independent Miners Guild
  • Rebecca Morales

RE: Leviathan Peace Conference - William Steiner - 09-13-2019

William was the first to stand, his appearance one of the stereotypical Lawyer, he determined that court dress was the more acceptable form of dress for this occasion. Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce myself as William Frederick Volker Steiner, here representing Her majesties Government. Accompanying me would be Admiral John Redmond, of the Bretonian Armed Forces. I thank the right honourable gentleman, Mister Riley, for calling this conference for there is indeed much to discuss. He paused, taking a moment to review the Agenda for the night before he continued. It seems to me, that with the current situation within the borders of Gallia, there is an issue of the legality of the Gallic delegation. If I am to understand the situation clearly then those here from that house are, for all intents and purposes, the legal and cultural successors of that House. For simplicity's sake then, The House of Bretonia will identify those here as the lawful successors of the House of Gallia. So as to avoid any technical breach. However, clarity is needed in regards to the status of those forces that currently occupy Edinburgh, now officially identified as 'Aquitaine' by the University of Cambridge's cartographers. I would ask the right honourable members of the Gallic delegation to explain the situation to the rest of this conference. With that, he sat down, taking care to avoid coming across as smug or otherwise rude. Yet he couldn't help but feel that this was a hostile room, few allies had arrived the most notable absentee being Liberty. Yet He was also acutely aware that none here were under any obligation to accept any terms at all.

RE: Leviathan Peace Conference - Lanakov - 09-14-2019

An elderly, stoic and somber man stood up at the Gallic table. He was tall, thin and well past his sixties. He sported an impeccable dress uniform with two stars on each sleeve. The uniform was clearly as aged as the man himself, but there was an underlying strength to the resut.

"Mesdames, messieurs" he entoned with an unmistakably theatrical tone. "I expect none of you know me at this table, and for good reason. I have retired from military life since before this conflict even began. However, during my career, I taught many exceptional students at the Ecole Navale. One of whom you will know well. Her name was Isabelle Montlaville de Chanteloup." He paused, though it was unclear whether it was theatrics or emotion. "Because of that link, and for various other reasons that do not concern you in the least, I was called back to help guide our navy in these turbulent times. I am here as adviser to the representative of the Duchy of Burgundy, the baronne of Voisines, madame Rose Aveline." He gestured towards the quiet, striking figure of the baronness. "I am contre-amiral Daniel d'Argenlieu, formerly retired and eternally in service to Gallia. I will be honest with this representation. I did not come here by choice, but as the noble reed, we shall bend before we break. Alas, there is little we can bring to this table that isn't already public. As you know, the Monarchy has fallen, leaving Gallia to her own trepidations - and they have been many. There has been a significant exodus of the old nobility to the Gallic Hébrides (he looked at the Bretonian delegation with a shadow of a scowl) - that would be your Edimbourg and your Orquenée - creating a power vacuum within our House. Rest assured that Gallia is not in chaos ; social cohesion is assured, the infrastructure is untouched, and youwould find it the impenetrable stronghold it has always been if you were to try and reach us militarily. That being said..."

Another man at the Gallic table stood up calmly, a half-smile printed on his face. He was dressed in the typical smart casual fashion of the Provence elite - not exactly formal, but certainly not lacking in allure, either. "Respectfully, amiral" he started with a honeyed, suave voice, "I am André Nivaggioni, of Provence. Enchanted to make your collective acquaintances. I think what my esteemed countrymate is getting at, and to answer your question in a more concise fashion, herr Steiner (he grinned) : Gallia is currently split between three states. That's my syndicate, there's the Conseillard republic, and there's the baronne's duchy. As you can see, we are on speaking terms and already working together as to the future of our nation. That future excludes the Monarchy, and those forces you mentioned in our Aquitaine are not with us. Not anymore. They made a choice, and that choice is to... Hmmh. An indiscriminate genocide of... You (he pointed at Bretonia), you (the Maltese), you (the Crayterians), probably you (the IMG), and us, of course. We're not talking much these days, and you're all very much better off talking to us, instead. Does that satisfy your kuriosität, herr Steiner ?" He grinned again, and sat back.

RE: Leviathan Peace Conference - Nen - 09-14-2019

After the Amiral and the Corsican have said their piece, Rose felt it necessary to add her own part. Standing up and giving a quick nod to them before addressing the delegation.

“My two countrymen have the right of it for most of it, but I believe I can clarify on a few things in a less verbose fashion. With the exodus of the king and the monarchy to Edinburgh, of which they have renamed to Aquitaine, has lead to the formation of three states as monsieur Nivaggioni has stated. At this very moment there are talks and negotiations in regards as to how our three states will proceed. Though for the sake of foreign diplomacy, of which should be the only thing that matters to those here, you can consider our separate delegations to be of one mind and purpose. And as a last note for this topic, any treaty formed here won’t be able to be ratified by Gallia until a central authority is formed, whatever it may be.” Her rather straight forward and matter-of-fact speaking contrasted sharply with the bombastic theatrics of Argenlieu and the honeyed melodics of Nivaggioni.

“As for whos the legitimate successor, of course it goes without saying we consider us and what comes of our provisional government to be that, considering we are in what is historically Gallia, but I’m sure those in the Hébrides would dare to say otherwise. As little in a position as they are to actually enforce that opinion.“ To mark the end of her part, she simply returned her seat, awaiting the next delegation to speak.

RE: Leviathan Peace Conference - Havok - 09-14-2019

At the Crayterian delegations table, Admiral Townley flattened her dress uniform before standing up, looking around the banquet hall, nodding to previous speakers and the Consul. "Ladies and Gentleman, I shall introduce myself to begin with, I am Admiral Amanda Townley, Fleet Admiral of the Republic of Crayter, representing the President here at this Conference, which I give my thanks to the Natio for organizing." She looked around at some of the figures in the room once more. "It is truely a feat to bring this many delegations to one place and to start the conversation, nay the shaping of the future." She nodded to the Consul once more. "The Republic has endured much at the hands of the past Monarchy and we ourselves have not been perfect either and had situation to handle ourselves." She took a deep breath and let out a small sigh. "But I digress. The Crayter Republic agrees with the representative of Bretonia on the topic of the Gallic delegations legality and we recognize the currently attending delegates as the lawful successors." She gave a small and simple bow before she sat down once more.

RE: Leviathan Peace Conference - Mr.Cardaminum - 09-14-2019

The turn passed to the Maltese table. A grey-haired man in a black suit with a stood up with a small beck. A small respirator was attached to his nose, same ones being used by other members of the delegation, clearly giving away their origin.

"Señores, señoritas. Soy Hernan Luis Escudero Grijalva. Today I represent the interests of the Maltese Unitary Republic of Hispania ex officio in the capacity of Consul." The man stopped to inhale the contents of a small container attached to the respirator and continued. "Me and my estimados colegas sincerely hope we all can reach an agreement today that will put an end to the bloodshed that has marked past years. But not only peace is sought today but also justice - for all inhumane crimes and misdeeds, especially those happened in the last stages of war".

Finished his opening word, Consul Escudero made a small pause, looked at the delegates present. "I second the suggestion of Bretonian delegation to consider Gallic delegation present as legitimate successor states of the House of Gallia". Escudero bowed and took his sit.

RE: Leviathan Peace Conference - Yazov - 09-15-2019

"Esteemed delegates." One of the Guild representatives have briefly glared at the people present, taking the word as, apparently, it was their turn. A specific metallic sound could be heard from underneath the gloves each time she moved her hands, even a little.
"My name is Rebecca Morales, and i, along with my colleague, is here on behalf of the Independent Miners Guild. Courtesy of the consul Riley have brought us aboard this conference, and we have high hopes of revitalising the relations and closing the gap that have formed between some of the present parties and the Guild. Excluding, maybe, the Maltese, but that's a discussion for the later time. As of now..." Morales took a brief moment of hesitation, exhaled, and resumed her speech.
"The Independent Miners Guild, represented by this delegation, hereby acknowledges the present Gallic delegation and the provisional government as the legitimate successors of House Gallia."

RE: Leviathan Peace Conference - Capt. Henry Morgan - 09-15-2019

Now that every delegation had spoken, Consul Riley stood.

"Thank you, fellow delegates. We all seem to be in agreement about the legal status of the Gallic government, so I think we can move on to the next point on our agenda, the status of the Gallic Royalist Enclave. I think we should hear from our Gallic representatives first, then each of you may again speak in turn."

Riley turned to face the Gallic delegation.

"Amiral d'Argenlieu, you briefly touched on the members of the nobility that evacuated to the Hébrides. May I ask the Gallic government's position on this Royalist remnant?"

RE: Leviathan Peace Conference - Thyrzul - 09-15-2019

Excusez-moi, mesdames et messieurs ! - The entrance door of the banquet hall opened up and a young man stepped in. He was in his early thirties, wearing his usual decorated military uniform. He waited until the consul finished the question, then apologised for his late arrival and bowed as a greeting to all representatives in the hall. - Due to certain unforeseen circumstances and duties President Castaignède is unable to attend this conference today, giving me the tasks and responsibilities to convey her apologies, as well as to represent the République de La Gaule during this meeting. I am Général Pierre LaFlamme, and I hope I did not miss anything important yet. - With that he joined the rest of the gallic delegates, taking the vacant seat at their table.

RE: Leviathan Peace Conference - Lanakov - 09-16-2019

D'Argenlieu listened gravely to the Consul's question, nodding to him somberly as he concluded. The amiral then turned to the Baronne... Right as the hated figure of Pierre Laflamme barged in the room. The amiral scowled at this insufferable little upstart, impossibly young for the heavy stars he lugged around with such unseemly swagger. Unlike scores of Conseillard ranking officers who defected from Royal navy positions, this one was a born and bred scoundrel rather than simply a traitor, and had never set foot in his prestigious Ecole Navale, meaning they had never met. And yet, he won ?

"Monsieur le Consul" he entoned, more somberly than before, "if we may continue our talks without further disturbance from the ill-mannered and the poorly organised, I will reply to you as a military man. The Enclave has already made its stance clear towards the Duchy, and a worryingly large amount of military assets have already declared for them and against us. Though it has not occured at present, there is little doubt in my mind that, should our forces meet theirs, an inevitable conflict, not merely of words, should ensue. That is not the path we would have chosen, but then again, it seems very little about this situation was a matter of choice, was it ?" He turned to the Baronne and slightly nodded at her. "Ceteris paribus, I believe the Baronne de Voisines would be much more legitimate than anyone else at this table (he said so with nary a glance at his Corsican and Republican neighbours) to address your question in depth, owing to her position and background."