Discovery Gaming Community
Own LAN server not seen by remote player - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Own LAN server not seen by remote player (/showthread.php?tid=173755)

Own LAN server not seen by remote player - Haddock - 09-26-2019

In preparation for the change from Win7 to Win10 I was try with a friend of mine, lets call him Turtle, to connect our FL Discovery MODs via Internet (WAN). Unfortunately without success, whatever we were testing (in both directions) on yesterday evening we were not able to see the FL server on the remote side. We were playing FL with several MODs at several times in the past using an own flserver with players from WAN and LAN so the basic knowledge should be present. This time we were using following setup after visiting the Wiki, this Board and YT:

Generally on both machines:
- Everything used only from the Discovery MOD folder
- The Discovery MOD is running fine on each computer with it’s own LAN server
- flserver is running with internet connection allowed, FL-Hook is running as well
- Win7 firewall in use only (accepted anything for FL)
- Win7 antivirus in use only

Connection setup on my side:
- WAN IP was taken directly from router and given to Turtle
- Ports opened: at first: 2302 to 2304, later 2300 to 2400, at last ALL

Connection setup on Turtle’s side:
- At the launcher: WAN IP entered into the „Optional“ line like shown in the „Forced“ line: -sIP:2302

The result was that Turtle found the entry of the Main Discovery server only in the server list, both in LAN and Internet list. Also this was the same result when we were try this vice versa, I could not see his server as well.

So, isn’t it no longer possible to connect to another server than the Main Discovery server?

Or did we make something wrong?

TIA.

best regards
Haddock

RE: Own LAN server not seen by remote player - Laz - 09-26-2019

Discovery's launcher blocks attempts to connect to none official servers. This was a dumb idea to prevent admins from regaining control during the dev coup. I removed this functionality in my open source version: https://github.com/LazDisco/DSLauncher/releases

You can either download that with the steps listed here, or you can wait a few hours and I'll upload a new version there that has a couple of updates. (If you follow all the instructions, it should auto-update either way.)

RE: Own LAN server not seen by remote player - Nightowl - 09-26-2019

Did you open the Ports in both Firewalls (Router & "Server")?
Did you try to connect ther Server Via LAN?
Did you turn-off IPv6 on the Server?

RE: Own LAN server not seen by remote player - Haddock - 09-26-2019

@Laz:
Ok, thx for that info. It explains the consistent of refusing any access.
Helping us this way will be very appreciated. But no hurry, until our next tests it will take a while so we can wait for the updated version.

@Nightowl:
Also thx for reply. #1 + #2 yes, we did.
But you're right I forgot to give you a note about the IPv6. It was disabled on both machines.

Haddock

RE: Own LAN server not seen by remote player - Nightowl - 09-26-2019

Does it work now?
And if not what Antivirus-Scanner do you use on the Server? (Many of them also have Firewalls but that shouldn't be the Thing, when th Server is reachable over LAN.

An other question: The Server isn't in Germany with a Vodaphone-Cable-Internet, or is it?

RE: Own LAN server not seen by remote player - Laz - 09-26-2019

Should be good to download now. Instructions are on the GitHub and you can message if you have issues.

(09-26-2019, 02:20 PM)Laz Wrote: Should be good to download now. Instructions are on the GitHub and you can message if you have issues.

Thanks a lot. The DSLauncherV2.exe is running fine but I didn't have any other remote server for testing. My buddy has no time yet and the servers in the Wiki list seems all to be outdated.

(09-26-2019, 01:59 PM)Nightowl Wrote: Does it work now?
And if not what Antivirus-Scanner do you use on the Server? (Many of them also have Firewalls but that shouldn't be the Thing, when th Server is reachable over LAN.

An other question: The Server isn't in Germany with a Vodaphone-Cable-Internet, or is it?

Still not working because I can't test it without a counterpart. So I must have patience .

We are using the Win7 MS Security Essentials only. And the ISP for both of us is the "pink giant" Telekom.

RE: Own LAN server not seen by remote player - Haddock - 09-27-2019

Well, it is working now with the new version of the DMLauncher.exe.

Yesterday in the evening I was starting a Discovery MOD flserver in my computer and two buddies were able to connect so we were online together on that server with 3 people. It was running absolute stable.

Many thanks to all of you, and especially to @Laz for this quick help...!

Best regards
Haddock