Discovery Gaming Community
Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? (/showthread.php?tid=174058)

Pages: 1 2

Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Enkidu - 10-09-2019

I'm considering perking the right for very limited Unioner Omega ZOI rights, specifically so we can raid the Coalition (and the Hessians who'll show up to assist them that deep in the Omegas)without getting sent to La Bastille. We would only word it so we have engagement rights against Coalition and Hessians if we perked that request, and we would not have piracy rights against anybody except coalition and Hessian transports. Something along the lines of:

- Can attack, and demand credits and cargo from Coalition and Hessian ships only whilst in Omega systems not listed under Unioner ZOI.

This would not be a standard ZOI buff as we wouldn't be able to do anything else in the Omegas (for good reason - we're a Rheinland-and-surrounding-Housespace pirate group, not an edgeworlds group).

I'm curious what the Hessian and Coalition response would be. The idea is to allow both Coalition and the Unioners to raid each other's home systems. For the Unioners, that's Hamburg. For the Coalition, that's Omega-52. The RP incentive for the Unioners would be to try to recover the 30k-odd Unioner Vierlande inmates currently kept in Coalition Gulags, however suicidally. Currently, the Coalition can raid us, but we can't raid the Coalition. This wouldn't be a serious threat to the Coalition InRp, but would be a source of additional gameplay and would give the Corsairs a regional ally in Omega fights against the Hessians and Coalition in exclusion. For example if the Core, or infected, or BHG, etc, attacked the Corsairs and the Unioners were present, we wouldn't be able to participate in that encounter by design. So it would be specific to the scenario given.

From a strictly gameplay perspective, would the Coalition enjoy being raided, and would you log to blow up the dirty syndicalists who would dare slander the name of Premier Selim? Based on the results of this thread, I'll either send the perk, or use that perk slot for something else. A new commodity possibly. We'll see.

RE: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Yazov - 10-09-2019

You're not doing anything in Rheinland, your faction is as dead as RM are, you run to Bering or log off at the very sight of RHA logging on and you want ZoI extension to where they will be your main opponents?

If there is still semblance of logic with the developers and game masters you won't get that - what you essentially don't deserve.

RE: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Enkidu - 10-09-2019

(10-09-2019, 11:38 PM)Ironblood Wrote: You're not doing anything in Rheinland, your faction is as dead as RM are, you run to Bering or log off at the very sight of RHA logging on and you want ZoI extension to where they will be your main opponents?

If there is still semblance of logic with the developers and game masters you won't get that - what you essentially don't deserve.

A very good point, Ironblood. Server activity is definitely worth motivating across factions.

I've personally been a bit inactive lately. Been up in Copenhagen and considering my options with the Royal Navy whilst working on my writing career. It's been quite intense. Fortunately I've got some time now to devote to the Unioners - some Unioners like Anton and Rickla have been logging ingame and motivating activity from the faction in my stead. Today I logged in and had a pretty fun RP and PVP experience in Cologne. Most of my activity happens in Bering, Hamburg, Cologne, Stuttgart, and Zurich. This would be strictly for raid gameplay - which seems to be a very enjoyable motivator for passive logging. RHA's own ability to bring players online to respond to raids is a testament to that healthy activity type.

I'd love to have some group PVP with RHA. We're not running away from you. About a week ago I flew into Dresden to see if any of you would pop out to encounter me.

(10-09-2019, 11:38 PM)Ironblood Wrote: You're not doing anything in Rheinland, your faction is as dead as RM are...

If I may be so bold:

the facts Wrote:Red Hessian Army [RHA] 13:02:21 2d 04:08:52 13:02:21 3d 14:36:55
Rheinland Military [RM] 2d 22:46:26 6d 19:18:14 2d 22:46:26 12d 12:03:25
The Unioners UN| 08:49:01 2d 02:36:21 08:49:01 3d 00:01:52

RE: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Kanzler Niemann - 10-10-2019

(10-09-2019, 11:45 PM)Riehl Wrote: We're not running away from you.

No, you're not running away from anyone xd

RE: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Wesker - 10-10-2019

Sure but only if we get an ID line that allows us to attack unioner vessels regardless of ship class in bering, zurich, texas, sigma-13, & sigma-15.

RE: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Markam - 10-10-2019

I like raids in systems that are not close to the usual haunts of a faction.

Gives them something to do that is a bit new.

Shame most factions are stuck in a certain area with little room for raids, and the RP police are quite strict.

RE: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Keller - 10-10-2019

I would instead like to see a higher degree of quality control within the Unioners and a greater amount of activity in Rheinland. The feud over ideological supremacy is still fresh and yet to be fully explored. A few events in Rheinland would help to cement that. It doesn't help that encounters with the Unioners usually border around mediocrity and tend to more often than not break immersion through the occasional outburst via references to pop culture. So if the question is quite literally whether I want to encounter people that will either bring a cruiser to a snub fight or tell me to unload a rifle in a school more often - then I'd have to say no. I'd really rather not.

In any eventuality do what you want. But understand that enthusiasm isn't necessarily high.

RE: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Yazov - 10-10-2019

(10-09-2019, 11:45 PM)Riehl Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 11:38 PM)Ironblood Wrote: You're not doing anything in Rheinland, your faction is as dead as RM are, you run to Bering or log off at the very sight of RHA logging on and you want ZoI extension to where they will be your main opponents?

A very good point, Ironblood. Server activity is definitely worth motivating across factions.

I've personally been a bit inactive lately. Been up in Copenhagen and considering my options with the Royal Navy whilst working on my writing career. It's been quite intense. Fortunately I've got some time now to devote to the Unioners - some Unioners like Anton and Rickla have been logging ingame and motivating activity from the faction in my stead. Today I logged in and had a pretty fun RP and PVP experience in Cologne. Most of my activity happens in Bering, Hamburg, Cologne, Stuttgart, and Zurich. This would be strictly for raid gameplay - which seems to be a very enjoyable motivator for passive logging. RHA's own ability to bring players online to respond to raids is a testament to that healthy activity type.

I'd love to have some group PVP with RHA. We're not running away from you. About a week ago I flew into Dresden to see if any of you would pop out to encounter me.

(10-09-2019, 11:38 PM)Ironblood Wrote: You're not doing anything in Rheinland, your faction is as dead as RM are...

If I may be so bold:

the facts Wrote:Red Hessian Army [RHA] 13:02:21 2d 04:08:52 13:02:21 3d 14:36:55
Rheinland Military [RM] 2d 22:46:26 6d 19:18:14 2d 22:46:26 12d 12:03:25
The Unioners UN| 08:49:01 2d 02:36:21 08:49:01 3d 00:01:52

We all, to a degree, have our real lives developing to a degree and that it comes first is perfectly understandable. I hope, at the very least, that your visit was either productive or enjoyable or even both, but those best case scenarios are a rare occassion, but let's stay on the point.
Maybe it was me who lacked the luck of the draw to have a quality encounter with the Unioners as RHA recently (same stands for [RM], but this thread is not about them), but what i saw in the past... two months is UN| faction members going great lengths to actually avoid getting an encounter with an actual living [RHA] member. Be it me or anyone else - that consequently led some people to believe it is simply not worth to spare their time to log expecting an interaction that is likely not going to happen because of the tendency i mentioned above. So, before you come up with such ideas i would honesly suggest to get rid of that mindset among your members so other factions would actually consider showing up to fight you knowing UN won't turn their tails and run to a safe spot outside of certain factions' ZoI.
I, however, see where this issue is coming from. Ultimately, UN| lack sources of activity on the homefront, with Rheinland corporations (especially Republican, which displaced shipyard workers are bound to hate) and rumors circulating about the neutrality with the [RM] (aren't really rumors, but let's keep it at that to avoid further unnecessary rant from certain people). With the above said in mind, UN| lack natural competition within Rheinland, and the competition that persists and is ready to face a Unioner is being avoided like fire. Address those issues, make some quality insurance in control of what's happening within your faction (some of the recent [RM] members are disappointing and it doesn't seem like they're learning anything within their chosen faction) - and then, maybe, you will be considered a desired opponent down there in the Omegas (which is, in my opinion, is still a bit too far for the Unioners to loiter around). And this, of course, will not come without Wesker's suggestion as a penalty - your usual escape tools should be removed if you're so eager to interact with [RHA] not only outside of Rheinland.

RE: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - Durandal - 10-10-2019

If something like this were to be done, I'd be much more receptive to it being implemented as something along the lines of "Can engage in the Omegas when accompanying Corsair ID'd ships" or "Can assist Corsair ID'd ships in the Omegas"

Symbiotic ID relationships like these aren't really something we currently have in Discovery, so it's something that would require a great deal of thought. But I do think it has the chance to provide a level of depth to the lore we don't typically get to see, and more importantly I think it would be healthy for Discovery's gameplay to have fewer lonewolves in general. I'm probably going to catch a lot of flak for saying this but I think that by and large Freelancer is a game that is only fun, or at least much more fun, when you're playing it with other people.

Of course, this wouldn't be a one way street. An ID line of this sort would give the Corsairs incentive to work more closely with the Unioners when playing in the Omegas. My only concern here would be parity. I don't really think it's fair to do this and not give the Hessians an opportunity to raid Bering, but I'm not sure how you do that in the same way. Perhaps they could only engage there when accompanied by the Coalition. From a gameplay standpoint this would certainly be fair, but I'm not sure it's as sensible from a lore perspective given that the Coalition don't particularly frequent the independent worlds, and that Bering is a single hop from Hamburg as opposed to the vast distance the Unioners must cover to reach Omega-52.

RE: Discussion for Coalition Players: Would you like to be Raided? - SnakThree - 10-10-2019

(10-10-2019, 08:50 AM)Durandal Wrote: If something like this were to be done, I'd be much more receptive to it being implemented as something along the lines of "Can engage in the Omegas when accompanying Corsair ID'd ships" or "Can assist Corsair ID'd ships in the Omegas"

Symbiotic ID relationships like these aren't really something we currently have in Discovery, so it's something that would require a great deal of thought. But I do think it has the chance to provide a level of depth to the lore we don't typically get to see, and more importantly I think it would be healthy for Discovery's gameplay to have fewer lonewolves in general. I'm probably going to catch a lot of flak for saying this but I think that by and large Freelancer is a game that is only fun, or at least much more fun, when you're playing it with other people.

Of course, this wouldn't be a one way street. An ID line of this sort would give the Corsairs incentive to work more closely with the Unioners when playing in the Omegas. My only concern here would be parity. I don't really think it's fair to do this and not give the Hessians an opportunity to raid Bering, but I'm not sure how you do that in the same way. Perhaps they could only engage there when accompanied by the Coalition. From a gameplay standpoint this would certainly be fair, but I'm not sure it's as sensible from a lore perspective given that the Coalition don't particularly frequent the independent worlds, and that Bering is a single hop from Hamburg as opposed to the vast distance the Unioners must cover to reach Omega-52.

Let's not make IDs any harder than they need be.

If you have archenemies, then you should be able to engage/pirate them anywhere.
If it is ZOI expansion to nail more enemies, Player Request or Perk Request.

Can engage X if with Y allies in Z system is complicated and unnecessary.