Discovery Gaming Community
Lessons learnt so far as a new player. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Lessons learnt so far as a new player. (/showthread.php?tid=174162)

Pages: 1 2 3

Lessons learnt so far as a new player. - Dark_Knight - 10-14-2019

Hey ya'll, so it's coming up to 1 year of me being at Discovery and in that time I've been quiet on the forums about my general opinion of the community, I've also avoided the Disco Discord for that reason, to limit myself from OORP drama as much as possible. Anyway, thought I would do some lessons that I've learnt:

1. As a faction leader/command, always empathize with your enemy. - To understand the thoughts that lie behind other factions in OORP terms and InRP terms, you mustn't be afraid to open up dialogue even at the most tense of situations and always try to advise on where things may go InRP. I've seen often, a disconnect between faction leaders based solely on OORP opinion of that faction and having that disconnect means many misunderstandings or poor judgement.

2. Be prepared to reconsider your thinking. - Countless times I've seen things go one way and then almost being forced to go in that one direction because you yourself think that's the right avenue for the faction InRP or a character InRP. If that's wholly your character or factions opinion, then I don't mind too much but if it is an opinion formed on OORP basis of "Winning" against another faction then you should re-examine the problem. Basically always review what started problems in your character or faction and see if it could have gone a different way.

3. InRP is InRP, OORP is OORP, always. - I'm a purist, always have been in RP and always will. I have friends here now, but I've always said to them that sometimes character actions should not be influenced by OORP behaviour. Too many times, I feel characters act wildly and unpredictable due to players opinion of each other. This ties into what I like to call "Lite-metagame" meaning that everyone in some capacity metagames a character based on what they know, OORP. It's kinda unavoidable, you can only limit.

4. Never expect RP to come to you. - When I first started, it was very much a learning curve of "Okay, everyone is really far from each other but there are hotspots for rp". If I honestly didn't start RPing with people like Dime, Smokesden, Darkstar & Riehl then I doubt I would have remained around. You also might miss opportunities that will greatly affect your character later on. For instance, if I did not meet Immo's Alexandra Conley on Sun I doubt I would have eventually had Sun as FP9 Administrator INRP or be currently 2IC of Velvet. If I didn't meet Riehl and RPed with them, I wouldn't have the learning experience of leading a Disco faction or developed Val. Just a side thing, for the longest time I wanted to try to RP with Sombra but that has yet to happen :V

5. Never be elitist, RP with everyone or, attempt to - Now, there are people who don't RP and simply hover around and power-trade, this is fine it's part of Disco. I am more talking about not being elitist with people who either have a poor grasp of English, are new or simply don't really understand RP. In my opinion, as long as they respond to basic RP you are doing then you shouldn't judge them nor honestly, make fun of them. It can be difficult, but one must ignore elitism.

6. Avoid cliques, but recognise you may have to engage in them - I tend to minimize myself in OORP in order to do this, I very much feel that now I am seen as part of some clique or whatever and that's unfortunate as, I honestly have avoided them by trying to remain neutral in my opinion of them. It's very hard to avoid them, and I don't think it's possible unless you make yourself an island. You can minimize it, however.

7. PVP Skill is good, but don't rely on it - Too many times I have seen judgement in some cases made solely on the fact that one player in a faction has great PVP skill. Now, don't get me wrong I don't mind PVP, it's an ends to a means but basing your faction's InRP behaviour or how they log on the sole fact that you got a "PVP God" is kinda in my opinion cheesy. If you lose, you lose. If it's not in an event or something that matters, I don't think it should bother you too much. You must always consider both sides on it.

8. Find the truth of a character - Build a character on moments that feel true to that character, don't make decisions that are out of character, for that character. For instance, in my experience you must always hold onto the core aspects of individual characters so that they feel different. Or else you, basically have the problem of "Avatar" characters, where you are just rping yourself. This is not a bad thing, as long you develop that character beyond that core. I don't like feeling comfortable with my characters, I always want to see RP happen with them that develops them.

9. Don't be flippant, people care - People often care a lot about discovery and being flippant, or taking advantage of this I feel is wrong. I don't like people insulting each-other, especially with some of the language used. I admit, it's the internet and edgyness is everywhere and I also admit I find it amusing but I dunno, some people are passionate about Discovery, including me.

10. Never say never - Take chances in your RP, or in Discovery.

Anyway, there you go, I'll probably do another one of these when it is actually a year later.

Edit Note: I don't think these are correct, they are just my personal lessons and opinions.

RE: Lessons learnt so far as a new player. - Sombs - 10-14-2019

Quote:As a faction leader/command, always empathize with your enemy. - To understand the thoughts that lie behind other factions in OORP terms and InRP terms, you mustn't be afraid to open up dialogue even at the most tense of situations and always try to advise on where things may go InRP. I've seen often, a disconnect between faction leaders based solely on OORP opinion of that faction and having that disconnect means many misunderstandings or poor judgement.

Discovery is a reflection of real life political parties and other kinds of groups in that sense. I sort of liked the idea of factions trying to sort their issues out, but as soon as group mentality is involved, and because Discovery with the current guidelines rather encourages people to take the first-best issues to Feedback threads or get mad about on Discord, where other people mindlessly join the rant for the sake of ranting about someone they don't like, they are more likely to bond on that hate for certain people than actually try to solve the issues. To be perfectly honest, while it of course would be cool if things would be more harmonic, Discovery only lives because of these issues. People love to eff over other people. Activity is low when there is no drama.

The other thing is that many faction leaders pretend to be open for negotiations but mostly fall back into their old patterns, which is why many stigmata remain to be true about certain factions, especially the old ones.

Quote:InRP is InRP, OORP is OORP, always. - I'm a purist, always have been in RP and always will. I have friends here now, but I've always said to them that sometimes character actions should not be influenced by OORP behaviour. Too many times, I feel characters act wildly and unpredictable due to players opinion of each other. This ties into what I like to call "Lite-metagame" meaning that everyone in some capacity metagames a character based on what they know, OORP. It's kinda unavoidable, you can only limit.

That's something I'm still sticking to, even after 3.5 years. I think that made RPing with Foxglove so fun to me, because his most notable characters are clearly representing the evil side but see themselves just in what they do and try to convince others of adapt that perception. Like Gul Dukat does in Deep Space Nine in the first six seasons. It's a constant back and forth of loving and hating the magnificient bastard as guile hero.

Quote:Never expect RP to come to you. - When I first started, it was very much a learning curve of "Okay, everyone is really far from each other but there are hotspots for rp". If I honestly didn't start RPing with people like Dime, Smokesden, Darkstar & Riehl then I doubt I would have remained around. You also might miss opportunities that will greatly affect your character later on. For instance, if I did not meet Immo's Alexandra Conley on Sun I doubt I would have eventually had Sun as FP9 Administrator INRP or be currently 2IC of Velvet. If I didn't meet Riehl and RPed with them, I wouldn't have the learning experience of leading a Disco faction or developed Val. Just a side thing, for the longest time I wanted to try to RP with Sombra but that has yet to happen :V

Finding hotspots for RP is sadly more and more difficult as the player count lowers. Back in my days, there was always a bunch of people at Freeport 11, which was also the very start of my very first RPs. Then, when Forlorn was doing their first baby steps, Trenton Outpost was a big hotspot until Forlorn grew in a very different direction, and I feel like the Trenton Talkshow only stopped
because of a bunch of vocal people complained about these people sitting there and not doing what they thought was right. A few months ago Velvet was founded and I had hopes that they would give FP11 some more life again, which seemed to have worked out. I was quite happy back then to give them a few supportive nudges. Now they are super active and hopefully don't do it like Forlorn but stay on their road.

By the way, while I'm flattered when people say they want to RP with me, I often feel like people have too high expectations on me. My characters are pretty limited in their acting and aren't very open to strangers. Makes me often feel like I disappoint people when they fly over to me and try to get as much information out of my characters as possible while the point of having a stealth warship is to literally try and remain ignored as much as possible. (That and I'm highly demotivated with all the drama going on here, so don't expect anything to happen anytime soon. Right now I only get to enjoy Lanakov and Foxglove.)

Quote:Never be elitist, RP with everyone or, attempt to - Now, there are people who don't RP and simply hover around and power-trade, this is fine it's part of Disco. I am more talking about not being elitist with people who either have a poor grasp of English, are new or simply don't really understand RP. In my opinion, as long as they respond to basic RP you are doing then you shouldn't judge them nor honestly, make fun of them. It can be difficult, but one must ignore elitism.

This is something that bugs me, actually, because I don't think we actually have elitist people in Discovery, but many people that accuse others of being elitist. Yes, there were some groups that were only interested in getting people with certain skills, mostly combat skills, but I've never seen this happen to anyone in terms of roleplay. The only thing I can think of is when people applied for a faction and got denied, but I mostly don't think that happened because of elitism and rather because of incompatibility with the pack. After all, people want fun people around, not their enemies. Might be wrong here, but that's sorta my perception.

Quote:Avoid cliques, but recognise you may have to engage in them - I tend to minimize myself in OORP in order to do this, I very much feel that now I am seen as part of some clique or whatever and that's unfortunate as, I honestly have avoided them by trying to remain neutral in my opinion of them. It's very hard to avoid them, and I don't think it's possible unless you make yourself an island. You can minimize it, however.

The biggest relief I felt during Discovery was when I left all factions I was in. Suddenly, there were no expectations on me anymore. That took a big weight off my shoulders. You don't need to bother with hypocritical feedback anymore, not with all those people who are like "no, my player faction is the best", you don't have to bother with all those guys who think their NPC faction needs more stations and more systems while they don't work with what they actually have and you don't have to bother with the hilarious faction rights and the three day activity border. Meanwhile there have been plenty of unofficial factions that have performed highly better than many officials now do. There are some people who pride themselves because the official faction status while they didn't earn the stuff they did but merely inherited it (which is why I always thought SRPs should never fall into the hands of people who didn't do the work behind them in first place).

Leaving all faction discords was really one of the best decisions I could have made, because they are all soaked in negativity. Evidentally.

Quote:PVP Skill is good, but don't rely on it - Too many times I have seen judgement in some cases made solely on the fact that one player in a faction has great PVP skill. Now, don't get me wrong I don't mind PVP, it's an ends to a means but basing your faction's InRP behaviour or how they log on the sole fact that you got a "PVP God" is kinda in my opinion cheesy. If you lose, you lose. If it's not in an event or something that matters, I don't think it should bother you too much. You must always consider both sides on it.

To most people, the stuff happening actually ingame is all that counts, and when you get ganked, die and get taunted, people take it personal and the guys taunting and killing are like "lol it's just a game noob". Discovery houses a wide variety of mentalities and you can't make peace with all of them. In those cases, ignoring them is the best. After all, you are the one who decides what you do, and if you do things that don't make you happy, you're dumb. They are right, this is just a game, and the point of games is to give you something you can enjoy.

Quote:Find the truth of a character - Build a character on moments that feel true to that character, don't make decisions that are out of character, for that character. For instance, in my experience you must always hold onto the core aspects of individual characters so that they feel different. Or else you, basically have the problem of "Avatar" characters, where you are just rping yourself. This is not a bad thing, as long you develop that character beyond that core. I don't like feeling comfortable with my characters, I always want to see RP happen with them that develops them.

People complaining about self-inserts are often self-inserts themselves. I think the only people who play different roles are the ones who stick to a character sheet they made with random attributes. In the end, however, most people here play characters that usually have attributes they find attractive in some way. Not necessary bad, as I just mentioned you should do what you enjoy. The only thing that bugs me are the ones who do self-inserts merely to crap on other people, bringing their ooRP intentions into the inRP environment that way.

Quote:Don't be flippant, people care - People often care a lot about discovery and being flippant, or taking advantage of this I feel is wrong. I don't like people insulting each-other, especially with some of the language used. I admit, it's the internet and edgyness is everywhere and I also admit I find it amusing but I dunno, some people are passionate about Discovery, including me.

That's the passion that kept Discovery alive despite the toxic environment. It's just as toxic as real life, just with the plus of being untouchable as the person infront of the keyboard. People feel like they can afford the recklessness they show on a daily basis and there is nothing that stops them. It's really up to everyone here themselves whether they want to stick to a place that CAN give a lot of fun and joy, but also a lot of anger and disappointment; or whether you move on. Luckily, while Discovery has many loopholes and ways of empowering people to do crappy things to each other, it also offers enough measures to keep yourself untouched from that. Alts, indies, forum. On the one hand, it can be good when you can do literally anything without anyone ever finding out it was you - I did that for example when I joined fights on my battleships and wrecked lots of ships before I sold all of them half a year ago, while people have been complaining about the Apahanta never being seen in fights and being nothing than a glorified camera ship - although on the other hand, if you are known for flying indies (which is something almost everyone does, by the way), then people think of you doing the worst things as indie just to troll them. Luckily I personally pride myself about the fact that I never did anything like that and love clean slate when it comes to sanctions. There aren't many people here who are around for more than three years without ever having gotten sanctioned.

Looking forward to see your perception of the next year. You're still one of the most careful and ambitious people here and didn't adapt other people's opinions. A rare thing in a community where people love to let their faction leaders think for them.

RE: Lessons learnt so far as a new player. - Thunderer - 10-14-2019

Have you brought these from Mount Sinai?

RE: Lessons learnt so far as a new player. - Banned player t202085 - 10-14-2019

Thank you for opening up in such a constructive way, I would like to see more posts like this from the 6months - 1year players it really does help put things back into perspective for the BVs

RE: Lessons learnt so far as a new player. - Enkidu - 10-14-2019

These are all extremely good insights.

We need to shake the bonds of cynicism and conspiracy. There's a minority of people who get bound up in believing that other people are out to get them, or assuming the worst, rather than the probable truth that we're all trying to play a game. It colours people's behaviour extremely obviously and can cause people who have never had an altercation to think awful things of one another. We're adults, playing a videogame, where we're trying to tell stories.

Nobody is holier, or more sacred, than anybody else.

There's something that a lot of readers here will probably dismiss, but it's still worth repeating: None of us are "bad". We all have something to offer to the community. If you don't understand why somebody is doing something, re-evaluate your thinking. For example, I assumed @"Sombra Hookier" was actively avoiding encounters, and therefore I parodied them on occasion. That wasn't very constructive of me and I've fairly recently realised that my cynicsm was unproductive.

Everyone will feel better if you ditch cynicism. You'll feel healthier and happier.

RE: Lessons learnt so far as a new player. - Lythrilux - 10-14-2019

I think cliques and elitism are one and the same really; groups of players who think they're above everyone else

(10-14-2019, 11:07 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: I think cliques and elitism are one and the same really; groups of players who think they're above everyone else

Good point. I think it can also be more complex than that. Groups of people who assume other people are manipulating the server in some way, or not playing the game/RPing/etc the way "I would do it", so they assume that any enjoyment the other group is having, or advancement of their own stories, is undeserved.

They then start to create elaborate explanations for how they could have got into that undeserved position. This can be something banal like 'activity'. There's a curious discovery belief that the more active any one person is, the worst they are. Often it's because they see more of the person so they have more of an opportunity to formulate a set-in-stone opinion.

RE: Lessons learnt so far as a new player. - Dark_Knight - 10-14-2019

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: Discovery is a reflection of real life political parties and other kinds of groups in that sense. I sort of liked the idea of factions trying to sort their issues out, but as soon as group mentality is involved, and because Discovery with the current guidelines rather encourages people to take the first-best issues to Feedback threads or get mad about on Discord, where other people mindlessly join the rant for the sake of ranting about someone they don't like, they are more likely to bond on that hate for certain people than actually try to solve the issues. To be perfectly honest, while it of course would be cool if things would be more harmonic, Discovery only lives because of these issues. People love to eff over other people. Activity is low when there is no drama.

The other thing is that many faction leaders pretend to be open for negotiations but mostly fall back into their old patterns, which is why many stigmata remain to be true about certain factions, especially the old ones.

Mm, I've experienced this being in factions. I do admit that sometimes there is a necessary evil to say "Okay, let's just fight to make activity for our factions." but I always consider whether it would make logical sense for that faction InRP. I don't expect things to be harmonic from my experience, but I do try to make factions I'm in as harmonic as possible in decision making.

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: That's something I'm still sticking to, even after 3.5 years. I think that made RPing with Foxglove so fun to me, because his most notable characters are clearly representing the evil side but see themselves just in what they do and try to convince others of adapt that perception. Like Gul Dukat does in Deep Space Nine in the first six seasons. It's a constant back and forth of loving and hating the magnificient bastard as guile hero.

Rping evil is always fun for me as well, I don't often get to do it. I only really have a Brigand who can be said to be evil.
P.S: Oh I love DS9, and Dukat is one of the greats of the show (Alongside Garak, who is best Trek character)

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: Finding hotspots for RP is sadly more and more difficult as the player count lowers. Back in my days, there was always a bunch of people at Freeport 11, which was also the very start of my very first RPs. Then, when Forlorn was doing their first baby steps, Trenton Outpost was a big hotspot until Forlorn grew in a very different direction, and I feel like the Trenton Talkshow only stopped
because of a bunch of vocal people complained about these people sitting there and not doing what they thought was right. A few months ago Velvet was founded and I had hopes that they would give FP11 some more life again, which seemed to have worked out. I was quite happy back then to give them a few supportive nudges. Now they are super active and hopefully don't do it like Forlorn but stay on their road.

By the way, while I'm flattered when people say they want to RP with me, I often feel like people have too high expectations on me. My characters are pretty limited in their acting and aren't very open to strangers. Makes me often feel like I disappoint people when they fly over to me and try to get as much information out of my characters as possible while the point of having a stealth warship is to literally try and remain ignored as much as possible. (That and I'm highly demotivated with all the drama going on here, so don't expect anything to happen anytime soon. Right now I only get to enjoy Lanakov and Foxglove.)

I've been logging to just sit around FP11 on Velvet|Nyx and it has brought me headaches in managing the NFZ, but also that's RP to me. I'll try to keep us on the road that Immo set out originally. Oh and I used you as a example, I also tried to find Doc to RP with him many times and others. It's also where at some point I decided to give forum RP a go just to develop characters. I'm very rusty when it comes to Forum RP, and I worry constantly about what I post here.

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: This is something that bugs me, actually, because I don't think we actually have elitist people in Discovery, but many people that accuse others of being elitist. Yes, there were some groups that were only interested in getting people with certain skills, mostly combat skills, but I've never seen this happen to anyone in terms of roleplay. The only thing I can think of is when people applied for a faction and got denied, but I mostly don't think that happened because of elitism and rather because of incompatibility with the pack. After all, people want fun people around, not their enemies. Might be wrong here, but that's sorta my perception.

It's very true and me calling others elitist can be patronising. I more learn this from my time in GmodRP, there was a big stigma against poor rpers there that thankfully is diminished here. I think in part it's because Discovery isn't truly RP 100% so people are more forgiving.

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: The biggest relief I felt during Discovery was when I left all factions I was in. Suddenly, there were no expectations on me anymore. That took a big weight off my shoulders. You don't need to bother with hypocritical feedback anymore, not with all those people who are like "no, my player faction is the best", you don't have to bother with all those guys who think their NPC faction needs more stations and more systems while they don't work with what they actually have and you don't have to bother with the hilarious faction rights and the three day activity border. Meanwhile there have been plenty of unofficial factions that have performed highly better than many officials now do. There are some people who pride themselves because the official faction status while they didn't earn the stuff they did but merely inherited it (which is why I always thought SRPs should never fall into the hands of people who didn't do the work behind them in first place).

Leaving all faction discords was really one of the best decisions I could have made, because they are all soaked in negativity. Evidentally.

Mm, I've been minimizing how many Discords I have and trying to not get into reading them too much. I think I mainly decided to go Zoner route to avoid that as well, trying to be neutral in oorp and inrp.

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: To most people, the stuff happening actually ingame is all that counts, and when you get ganked, die and get taunted, people take it personal and the guys taunting and killing are like "lol it's just a game noob". Discovery houses a wide variety of mentalities and you can't make peace with all of them. In those cases, ignoring them is the best. After all, you are the one who decides what you do, and if you do things that don't make you happy, you're dumb. They are right, this is just a game, and the point of games is to give you something you can enjoy.

Absolutely agree, I've experienced being yelled at for making simple mistakes and that wasn't even during a event. I'm okayish at PVP, hopeless at snub fights but okay at cap fights. In the end, as I said PVP is a means to a end.

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: People complaining about self-inserts are often self-inserts themselves. I think the only people who play different roles are the ones who stick to a character sheet they made with random attributes. In the end, however, most people here play characters that usually have attributes they find attractive in some way. Not necessary bad, as I just mentioned you should do what you enjoy. The only thing that bugs me are the ones who do self-inserts merely to crap on other people, bringing their ooRP intentions into the inRP environment that way.

It's difficult to separate yourself from characters, I kinda see it like a play where you are just playing a part. I try to build characters that are wholly separate from myself, and then build on top of that their needs, wants, speech, behaviour and how they individually would act. As for the last part, yep...I kinda call them troll characters.

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: That's the passion that kept Discovery alive despite the toxic environment. It's just as toxic as real life, just with the plus of being untouchable as the person infront of the keyboard. People feel like they can afford the recklessness they show on a daily basis and there is nothing that stops them. It's really up to everyone here themselves whether they want to stick to a place that CAN give a lot of fun and joy, but also a lot of anger and disappointment; or whether you move on. Luckily, while Discovery has many loopholes and ways of empowering people to do crappy things to each other, it also offers enough measures to keep yourself untouched from that. Alts, indies, forum. On the one hand, it can be good when you can do literally anything without anyone ever finding out it was you - I did that for example when I joined fights on my battleships and wrecked lots of ships before I sold all of them half a year ago, while people have been complaining about the Apahanta never being seen in fights and being nothing than a glorified camera ship - although on the other hand, if you are known for flying indies (which is something almost everyone does, by the way), then people think of you doing the worst things as indie just to troll them. Luckily I personally pride myself about the fact that I never did anything like that and love clean slate when it comes to sanctions. There aren't many people here who are around for more than three years without ever having gotten sanctioned.

So I came from GmodRP where toxicity took over the community I was at. It wasn't a good time, thankfully and this may be surprising Discovery is not as bad as those times and I've actually had a pretty chill experience.

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: Looking forward to see your perception of the next year. You're still one of the most careful and ambitious people here and didn't adapt other people's opinions. A rare thing in a community where people love to let their faction leaders think for them.

Thanks! I try.

(10-14-2019, 10:41 AM)Thunderer Wrote: Have you brought these from Mount Sinai?

Heh, I admit some of the points may be patronising or said countless times before. Still, they are just personal lessons that I keep to.

RE: Lessons learnt so far as a new player. - Dark_Knight - 10-14-2019

(10-14-2019, 11:07 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: I think cliques and elitism are one and the same really; groups of players who think they're above everyone else

Sort of. You can have someone who avoids cliques but can have a holier then thou approach to who they RP with. I do agree they go hand in hand, but sometimes they don't. I don't base this on examples from Discovery, but just my experience in RP as a whole from here and beyond.

(10-14-2019, 10:31 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: People complaining about self-inserts are often self-inserts themselves. I think the only people who play different roles are the ones who stick to a character sheet they made with random attributes. In the end, however, most people here play characters that usually have attributes they find attractive in some way. Not necessary bad, as I just mentioned you should do what you enjoy. The only thing that bugs me are the ones who do self-inserts merely to crap on other people, bringing their ooRP intentions into the inRP environment that way.

Dark Knight Wrote:It's difficult to separate yourself from characters, I kinda see it like a play where you are just playing a part. I try to build characters that are wholly separate from myself, and then build on top of that their needs, wants, speech, behaviour and how they individually would act. As for the last part, yep...I kinda call them troll characters.

What qualifies as a self-insert? I think a lot of people accuse each other of self-inserts without insight into who people IRL are. Perhaps the biggest self-insert is feeling angrily protective of our characters - but our characters can't die, and we can ignore negative RP consequences if we so desire.