Discovery Gaming Community
To: Junker Congress | From: Planetform | Re: Forres - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Communication Channel (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: To: Junker Congress | From: Planetform | Re: Forres (/showthread.php?tid=174164)

To: Junker Congress | From: Planetform | Re: Forres - Capt. Henry Morgan - 10-14-2019

Planetform, Inc.
[Image: 6gnWlbD.jpg]

To: Junker Congress

Subject: Planet Forres

Good morning, gentlemen,

I was reviewing some of my predecessor's files and saw that he had made a deal with your organization to terraform Planet Forres. Looking over the details, I saw that he wildly underestimated both the amount of work required and the expense involved. There's a reason our customers have exclusively been House Governments. Nobody else has pockets nearly deep enough to afford expenses involved in a project on the scale of transforming a world. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the credits you paid went directly into my predecessor's personal retirement account rather than to any serious attempt at terraforming Forres.

It seems that, before the war interrupted the ill-advised and underfunded project, we had progressed as far as building a pilot plant to investigate the planet's exact conditions and experiment on methods for terraforming. Normally, I'd leave the project abandoned, because there's no way you can afford the necessary work, and my own retirement account is not in need of such padding. However, Bretonia's bad fortune seems to be your good fortune today. Planetform is currently investigating the possibility of someday restoring Leeds to a habitable state, but the planet presents a number of difficulties. We need to develop new methods and technology to reverse the damage Gallia has done to that world.

This is where Forres, and your organization, comes in. One of the challenges facing Leeds is a runaway greenhouse effect. Forres, as you're well aware, also has this problem. That makes it the perfect environment for research and development into new technologies to eventually apply to a future terraforming project on Leeds. With that in mind, I am going to offer you the deal of a lifetime. We will terraform Forres for the cost of materials only. We will absorb the cost of hardware, personnel, as well as the required R&D as an investment for our future work on Leeds.

Our simulations suggest that the most promising method of removing excess carbon dioxide is the Bosch Reaction. As I'm sure you're aware, the Bosch Reaction is a chemical reaction between hydrogen and carbon dioxide that produces water and elemental carbon. It's been used on a small scale for centuries as a method of removing excess carbon dioxide and producing water aboard spacecraft and space stations. We are currently designing hardware to perform this process on a planetary scale, and would like to test the prototypes on Forres.

All we require from you is access to the planet, a steady supply of iron to serve as a catalyst for the chemical reaction, and regular supply ships to feed our people. We can extract the required hydrogen from the water already present on the planet, which will also produce the necessary oxygen to make the atmosphere more hospitable for human life. I won't insist on it, but I would also suggest making a deal with Ageira to construct a docking ring. That would make supplying something on the scale of terraforming project much easier from a logistical standpoint.

Simulations predict that, accounting for problems inherent in developing new technology, we can complete the first stage within a century. As temperatures drop, ice caps will begin to form. This will eventually displace your current polar settlements, but the formation of ice caps will lower the planet's sea level, exposing new land for eventual settlement. The ice will increase the planet's albedo, which will have the effect of lowering the planet's temperature still further. At this point, we will begin introducing an engineered biosphere to establish a carbon cycle to regulate the planet's new climate. As the new biosphere takes hold, we will be able to begin shutting down the chemical processors. All told, we expect the process can be fully completed in 150 to 200 years.

Dr. Norman Grey
CEO, Planetform, Inc.

Creating Worlds

RE: To: Junker Congress | From: Planetform | Re: Forres - Vulkhard Muller - 10-16-2019

.:Incoming Transmission:.
.:Comm ID: Rick Tiltman:.
.:Topic: Planet Forres Experimentation:.

That's a hell of a deal you're offering,

Frankly I am inclined to take it, terraforming is an expensive endeavor that requires a massive input from any organization. Admittedly, when we were informed of the deal previously many called it a scam, not surprised it was. I see this as a positive net for the Junkers not only do we get a far more reasonably livable planet more or less all to ourselves, it also helps Bretonia which is something we are looking to do anyway. At the cost of a slight supply increase I see no issues. I would like to advise you look over the Junker Base Laws

As for the supply specifics, we have a few farms running on the surface nothing major but they supply the local colonies. Additionally, a small mining operation is working on the planet I am sure it should be able to extract as much Iron as you could need, if not, shipping it in from Liberty should be no hassle. As for the docking ring, that might be a bit tricky, I will see what I can do. Unfortunately Congress/Ageira relations have been...icy at best, but I will see what I can do.

If anything else comes up that you need our assistance with feel free to call.

Rick Tiltman,
Arbiter

RE: To: Junker Congress | From: Planetform | Re: Forres - Capt. Henry Morgan - 10-17-2019

Planetform, Inc.
[Image: 6gnWlbD.jpg]

To: Arbiter Rick Tiltman, Junker Congress

Subject: Planet Forres

Mr. Tiltman,

I'm pleased we could reach an agreement. We will dispatch an engineering team to assess the state of our original pilot plant and perform the necessary maintenance to bring it back online. Once we have a plan in place, we should be able to start bringing in prototype hardware to begin the initial steps of Stage 1 terraforming. The fact that every required resource can already be found on the planet will make this a relatively inexpensive project to supply, at least for Stage 1. As to the docking ring, do what you can, but I understand if it proves to be impossible. Dealing with Ageira can be difficult at the best of times.

Dr. Norman Grey
CEO, Planetform, Inc.

Creating Worlds