Discovery Gaming Community
[Done] Download tutorial proposal - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: [Done] Download tutorial proposal (/showthread.php?tid=174251)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Download Freelancer & Discovery Freelancer - Durandal - 10-20-2019

Huh, well ok. Final nitpick is that I really recommend we just say "Install Freelancer", not Microsoft Freelancer.

RE: Download Freelancer & Discovery Freelancer - Avalanche - 10-20-2019

(10-20-2019, 10:03 PM)Durandal Wrote: Huh, well ok. Final nitpick is that I really recommend we just say "Install Freelancer", not Microsoft Freelancer.

That makes sense to me. Done.

Last thing from me. I really must bring this up again. The green "Download" in the top bar should be reworded to "Download Freelancer & Discovery"

I quote from a previous thread that went unanswered:

Quote:I am just trying to put myself in the shoes of a new visitor. "Download what? Just the mod?" That's literally half true. You can also install Freelancer which is the biggest obstacle to new players due to no Steam/GoG pages.

So for a new visitor they would see "download" and then need to be inquisitive enough to click on it and read down into 7 lines of grey text which talks about boring 'Microsoft Net Frameworks' and updating your CPU.

For every 10 visitors I am confident a good 2 or 3 (20%-30%) will see the word "Download" and won't take the desired action we want them to take.

Lastly the more green text we have up there the larger the button is. The more eye catching it is.

Downsides to this plan is it will take more of your time to re-edit and "Download Freelancer + Discovery" will take more of the top bar.

But I do strongly think it's worth it. Better safe than sorry.

RE: Download Freelancer & Discovery Freelancer - Burning - 10-20-2019

I really really like what is being created here and I thank you and everyone who chimed in for the effort.

One little issue I found was the following: My OS language is set to German. I followed the instructions of video 2, where you activated certain windows features. I typed exactly what you did ("Turn windows features") and it didn't find the option you did because of different languages. Of course it's easy to figure out what to type instead, but I think making instructions as clear and accessable as possible for everyone is key here. The shortest term to type I found was "features", maybe that applies for other languages, too?

(10-20-2019, 11:05 PM)Burning Wrote: I really really like what is being created here and I thank you and everyone who chimed in for the effort.

One little issue I found was the following: My OS language is set to German. I followed the instructions of video 2, where you activated certain windows features. I typed exactly what you did ("Turn windows features") and it didn't find the option you did because of different languages. Of course it's easy to figure out what to type instead, but I think making instructions as clear and accessable as possible for everyone is key here. The shortest term to type I found was "features", maybe that applies for other languages, too?

Thank you for the support. It's been a group effort.

Regarding your feedback, I have edited the video to show only typing "Features" as you proposed. Good suggestion!

RE: [Pending] Download tutorial proposal - Avalanche - 10-23-2019

I've been told the staff are discussing these proposals currently.

If any community members wish to add their opinions to the discussion for the staff to read, please reply now.

RE: [Done] Download tutorial proposal - Avalanche - 11-21-2019

This is now live. Thank you to everyone who voted and to those who commented and helped move this along @Alex. @Durandal @"Gerhard Wolf" @sasapinjic @Liberty.In @"Riehl" @Kazinsal @Nerva Regis @evanz @Pepe @Ouranos @Burning