Discovery Gaming Community
Freelancer Racing - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Freelancer Racing (/showthread.php?tid=174388)

Freelancer Racing - thisDerius - 10-21-2019

So... For a while now, I have been thinking about this.

AFC did this sort of stuff a long time ago, but most of their races were illegal and had simple laps on regular ruling and such: Cruise, DIsrupt and don't get disrupted. Most races were also 1v1 or something similar.

I was thinking of making something like a GP with 10-20 racers on one "track" with their respectful teams, like in F1. A sample ruling would look something like this:

Checkpoints:
Checkpoints would be set in rather difficult places which would make a race more interesting, dangerous and hard.

This idea, in the end would organize races within asteroid fields of high density and low vision.

I want thoughts on this. Proper ones at that. If I get enough supporters for this, I might organize a test race of sorts.

RE: Freelancer Racing - Immortality23 - 10-21-2019

As said in PMs, and will echo it here. I think this could be quite cool. If for nothing else, it's something different which I think is in need at the moment among the community. Smile

RE: Freelancer Racing - Promotheus - 10-22-2019

Why only arrows? I get that it's the default racing ship, but wouldn't it promote individuality of peoples characters, and thus their own interest in the races, if they could fly their own prefered snubs?

RE: Freelancer Racing - sasapinjic - 10-22-2019

Good idea, except flags,safety ship and no overtaking part, because i dont know how that can be implemeted .It will take 5 moderators/game masters to watch them all making sure they are not cheting.

RE: Freelancer Racing - PlasmaSabre - 10-22-2019

Sounds awesome. Multiple ships on the same course sounds like beautiful chaos, especially if there are asteroids/mines in the way.

Echoing above, safety/flags could be difficult to implement so a simpler ruleset might be easier, but you could try a few different tests to see what works. Less GMs means less overhead and we can just focus on the racing. Also +1 to using different ships.

In terms of the course, having dangerous locations like stars/planets/minefields in the way would be nice as it would promote risk/skill (how close do you dare flying to the corona to shave a few seconds off your time etc) as opposed to just flying from point to point.

Count me in if this ends up becoming a thing, I'm definitely keen to try some racing.

RE: Freelancer Racing - thisDerius - 10-22-2019

Updated to allow all light fighters in. Other ruling is pretty much still the same until we start testing.

EDIT: We will still need help from GMs to help us create tracks. We can set that every house gets a GP or something.

RE: Freelancer Racing - Nightowl - 10-23-2019

I would open it to all ships.
Ok, who think it would be a good idea to try to race against Light Fighter in an BS won't have many chances, but it could be fun.
(Have a Look to Wreckfest and Schoolbus-races…)
And as long as weapons are not allowed i senn no Trouble with bigger ships.