Discovery Gaming Community
Hello, I'd like to Fix Disco. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Hello, I'd like to Fix Disco. (/showthread.php?tid=175036)

Hello, I'd like to Fix Disco. - The_Godslayer - 11-19-2019

When I first came to this game, it kinda was a new Jerusalem for me. Everything that I loved about Freelancer, updated to the modern day, and the story-line progressed how it should. It's not like Crossfire, with throwing 60% of the pre-established lore out the window to bring back the Sol system. It wasn't the PvP server I used to play on (not remembering the name atm) where all that had happened was balance to weapon damage and ships, so that not everyone was in a Titan or Sabre. It felt fresh, unreal, and, most of all, engaging. The idea of players having control of not only the factions, but also the environment around them was a spectacle to behold for me. The first thing I noticed was the destroyed Freeport in Magellen. I was in absolute awe that something the players did had effected the world. The second thing I noticed was when I was matched against the Great Manhattan Fortress of AFK Activity Farming. These were brand new bases with LIFE BARS. It was beautiful. Last, but most certainly not least, was that there was activity. I would be flying through the Sigmas, exploring, and some GMG and KuNav would ask me what I was doing, and where I was going. It was fun, and there were actually people just logging on and flying around to see what happens. Apparently, before I had joined, it was on a decline. I really started to notice this near the end of the Gallic War. Many people from my favorite factions, and some people I had roleplay connections with, just ghosted. I started contacting them, and they had a variety of reasons for leaving, but it all boiled down to one thing: redundancy. It was the same thing over and over again. The only thing that changed was the names and colors attached. This Gallic war was just "log on when LN pings, fight for a bit, log off". For us traders, it was "log on, try to trade, get pirated by so many pirates that it wasn't even profitable, log off". I was hoping that this would end with the Gallic War, but instead it just got worse. There was still nothing new to explore. There was still no adventure.

My question is this: What kind of happening or event do you think would bring back old users and possibly new users as well? I was thinking about something about the Dyson Sphere, maybe making the internal flyable, even though it would be a highly radioactive system with this black hole looking thing at the center. , and giving the Factions in the Omegas something to do. Even this small expansion would add a new space for people, it would give people a reason to explore, and it would generate RP and extreme happenings. If the inside of the Dyson Sphere was accessible, everyone and their moms would want in. There would be wars to get past the Nomads, the Houses would get involved, the Outcasts and Corsairs would experience massive amounts of activity in their systems, simply because there are few ways to get to the Nomad systems without them. There would be friction, smaller factions would take advantage of these to get their name out there. There would be a need for resources, as the Houses would probably spend a lot trying to get inside the Sphere. Economy would maybe settle into a working function, instead of the constant struggle for some to get above 1 mil, while others have multiple banks with 2bill. I also would like the idea of new weapons being easier to RP, especially weapons that can toe-to-toe Codenames, but that's just because I have no codenames because I don't have enough money. Also because I'm bad at PvP.

TL'DR: I loved this game. It's going downhill. Shout-out to KuNav. Pirates bad. Rich People also bad. What would the people like for the future of the game story? (not what the story devs have planned, but what the majority of players want). What about the Dyson sphere?

PS: i know most of the comments are going to either be "its hopeless, just give up" or "delete wesker lololololololol"

RE: Hello, I'd like to Fix Disco. - Groshyr - 11-19-2019

Old players have fed by game, community dramas and other things as well as they just could have no more time for the game itself. This is not a surprise and I hope you understand this as well.

I have doubts about the possibility to return a lot of old players but the game and the mod itself can attract new players who looks exactly for calming space shooter with a possibility to RP. I like freelancer because you can make actually any character. I dislike RP projects like SAMP or many of G-Mod servers because there you should grow up from the very down. Perhaps, this gives you some new emotions and another sh*t but for me is better to learn the lore and the game by reading info cards, roleplay stories and other threads, speaking with people itself but not wasting N time to grow up from Level 1 to Level 1.1 as I saw in SA-MP and similar projects.

So... I actually think this community, mod and game still have a chance whatever other thinks but the community itself enough elite and toxic to push out the newbies who come to the game sometimes.

I hope you got my point because I think I explained it not clear enough and most of my text based on what I have seen or feel when I played on different role-play projects including the forums, PC games, etc. So... discuss it I guess?

RE: Hello, I'd like to Fix Disco. - Karlotta - 11-19-2019

I don't think one single "event" can bring a lot of old players back, but we can try to fix the many things that make playing discover less enjoyable:

- System layout that makes player encounters unlikely, resulting in boring gameplay: Can be changed by reducing the number of possible routes, as well as the number of lucrative trader routes.

- Encounters with players that don't know or care about role play, lore, and rules: Can be reduced through better accessibility / ingame presentation of lore and rules

- Players that destroy other players fun through ganking: Can be reduced by creating a pvp "honor code" / convention that both PvP aces and noobs can agree on is fair, which doesn't actually get people even more riled up against each other than they would be without it

- Players that destroy other players achievements through POB siege: Reduced by creating an IRP and/or OORP rules framework for regulating base construction (location, rp quality, diplomacy) in exchange for protection from sieges. (not only by "local clan chiefs" like it is atm)

- Destruction/prevention of player/faction achievements through oorp motivated player "irp intrigue": Have oorp disputes settled through staff mediators that both sides agree on, instead of by "more influential clique wins"