Discovery Gaming Community
GDPR and COPPA conformity - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: GDPR and COPPA conformity (/showthread.php?tid=175492)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: GDPR and COPPA conformity - Bannorn - 12-16-2019

(12-16-2019, 07:45 PM)Altejago Wrote: Didn't the Indians (CGS) get nailed for copyright issues?

Is the server hosted in Germany? I get a feeling that any sort of enactment of slave trading is illegal there. Something about "intent" and "Objectionable material".

Who then gets charged or sued? Server owner, server administrators or the offending player?

I might just look that up and see who can get into trouble for what...

Its in France. As to the german law, I am not entirely up to date, but last I checked they relaxed those regulations in regard to entertainment, education, and the depiction of fictional material. That would have to be proven in a court, in any case.

RE: GDPR and COPPA conformity - NixOlympica - 12-17-2019

Disco is absolutely storing PII, it's storing email adresses and IP adresses at the very least. GDPR is applicable even to forums.

Oh and date of birth if I recall. Also location.

RE: GDPR and COPPA conformity - Kalhmera - 12-17-2019

Who gives a crap??? Seriously... you can put fake emails, fake names, fake birthdays fake timezones and locations and even use a proxy to connect. This is just one dude who is the OP trying to cause drama with stuff he knows very little about. This is a waste of all our time and this should be deleted or at least invised.

RE: GDPR and COPPA conformity - Kazinsal - 12-17-2019

Nothing about this mod's distribution is legal to begin with what with all the ripped and redistributed assets, redistributed modified code, and other intellectual property fun. Why do you think that anyone would bother trying to make it legally compliant with stuff as relatively minor as COPPA when the entire project runs flagrantly afoul of international copyright law?

RE: GDPR and COPPA conformity - Typrop - 12-17-2019

(12-17-2019, 05:12 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: Nothing about this mod's distribution is legal to begin with what with all the ripped and redistributed assets, redistributed modified code, and other intellectual property fun. Why do you think that anyone would bother trying to make it legally compliant with stuff as relatively minor as COPPA when the entire project runs flagrantly afoul of international copyright law?

You're forgetting distributing the .iso for Freelancer.

RE: GDPR and COPPA conformity - Alley - 12-17-2019

(12-16-2019, 06:33 PM)Durandal Wrote: Remember when we actually made ourselves GDPR compliant by rolling out that giant Terms of Service document in February and the entire community blackballed it when they realized what GDPR compliance actually meant?

Guess we can always dig that up and post put it back in place.

Your terms of service had nothing to do with GDPR compliance. You might want to read up on what must be provided to the consumer.

Regardless of Discovery existing on shaky grounds, transparency regarding the collection and usage of PII is the right thing to do.