Discovery Gaming Community
Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+----- Forum: Faction Activity (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=282)
+----- Thread: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=175872)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - NixOlympica - 01-01-2020

(01-01-2020, 06:58 PM)Lucas Wrote: Remove OF's as a whole

The moment you remove OFs, I am gone. OFs give Disco some structure and clarity, provide an anchor for new people to learn the ropes and an incentive to actually build something long lasting and should strive to uphold some RP standards.

I am tired of all the super-special rebel/split groups and new microhouses. At least with OFs there is some level of control over the complete Mary Sue and nonsensical RP some groups try pull.

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Durandal - 01-01-2020

Not to throw a spanner in the gears of pertinent discussion here, but:

(01-01-2020, 07:43 PM)The Ghost of Pilgrim Wrote: I am tired of all the super-special rebel/split groups and new microhouses. At least with OFs there is some level of control over the complete Mary Sue and nonsensical RP some groups try pull.

These are almost exclusively those official factions you're vehemently defending. OFs that pop up to represent an extant NPC faction are becoming rarer and rarer by the year.

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Lythrilux - 01-01-2020

(01-01-2020, 02:55 PM)St.Denis Wrote: What would you suggest we should do to set as a benchmark for Official Factions?

The issue is with the current state of things there is nothing constructive or productive about this system. It doesn't encourage activity or address issues factions may be having, nor giving them the support they'd need to get around these issues. If anything I feel like this system has evolved into a mostly automated chopping block with minimal admin, or staff input required; providing a dirty means to reduce the number of factions, and therefore requests/development needed to sustain them, that the staff would otherwise have to invest time into.

The issue is clearly bigger than the OFs themselves as indicated by the majority of factions on that list having little to no indies, or secondary groups that could swiftly replace them if they were to disband or die out.

EDIT: some grammar

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Timinator - 01-01-2020

This system has been in place for as long as i can recall it.

Everything has it's natural end.

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Shiki - 01-01-2020

Well, posting a one-liner with #deletethis is not helping. Naturally, if someone will come up with a realistically objective (like the current one with simple numbers of in-game activity and initial RP evaluation), but a better system it should surpass the current one. But over the years I haven't encountered any realistic proposal.

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Loken - 01-01-2020

(01-01-2020, 08:09 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: If anything I feel like this system has evolved into a mostly automated chopping block with minimal admin or staff input required; providing a dirty means to reduce the number of factions, and therefore requests/development needed to sustain them, that the staff would otherwise have to invest time into.
lol

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Timinator - 01-01-2020

(01-01-2020, 08:17 PM)Shiki Wrote: Well, posting a one-liner with #deletethis is not helping. Naturally, if someone will come up with a realistically objective (like the current one with simple numbers of in-game activity and initial RP evaluation), but a better system it should surpass the current one. But over the years I haven't encountered any realistic proposal.

I didn't mean this system is bad.

I meant if a faction comes to a dead point id better just... die.

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Lucas - 01-01-2020

The system is almost as bad as OF's lets be real

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Lythrilux - 01-01-2020

(01-01-2020, 08:17 PM)Shiki Wrote: Well, posting a one-liner with #deletethis is not helping. Naturally, if someone will come up with a realistically objective (like the current one with simple numbers of in-game activity and initial RP evaluation), but a better system it should surpass the current one. But over the years I haven't encountered any realistic proposal.

I don't think there's any benefit to keeping this system around. When you have other active OFs or secondary groups on a single ID waiting in the wings that may serve the NPC faction better by having greater control, then it makes more sense (although I still have my own reservations) to remove OFs that fail to consistently maintain activity or represent their NPC faction. As I argued in another thread, until there's a sit-down discussion where factions put forward the issues they're facing, and those issues are addressed, the checks are hurting the mod more than it is helping.

It's proven that there's a huge number of players willing to play the game when given something to do. In my case, realistically speaking the best way for Core| to pass the checks would be if I just fly around semi-afk on some Bisons every day - and that's fine because this system doesn't quantify or care about the activity or roleplay quality or its impacts. It's just numbers that fail to capture or address the whole story.

RE: Official Faction Activity Fourth Quarter 2019 - Megaera - 01-01-2020

OF have their uses. It just depends on how your faction wants to contribute. Do you just want to show off your pixel power or do you want to help out and coordinate with the indies to improve the npc faction as a whole?

GC- has ties to almost all indies and if they want to join the OF or not, their opinion and contributions matter to me. One of my goals as OFL is to improve the GC shipline, which we made good progress on.