Discovery Gaming Community
Whiskey and Wine - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Whiskey and Wine (/showthread.php?tid=175990)

Pages: 1 2 3

Whiskey and Wine - Markam - 01-06-2020

On-board the Battleship Essex, the flagship of the Essex Battlegroup, currently stationed outside Planet New London, and responsible for safeguarding Bretonian interests in New London and through the HMS Blackrock, Dublin. John sits in the Captains quarters, awaiting a guest.

The room was fairly modest, functional. It was large as far as rooms on battleships went, with an open area that could fit maybe ten or more officers standing, on the far side of the room there was a desk, the opposite end of which John sat. To his right there was what could be described as a collection of various alcohol bottles of various levels of depletion. Johns alcoholism had started to become a feature of his, though he liked to think himself a functional alcoholic, with even his most drunken occasions still maintaining his duty, albeit in a rather more colorful fashion, particular in respect to his language use.

John sat waiting for a guest to arrive, a former member of the Gallic royal navy turned Council, who was seeking citizenship of Bretonia. Perhaps with the forming of the new government, she found herself without a place in the new order, or she fell foul of some political ploy, it did not matter to John.

To most, John did not seem all that sophisticated, and his language use was crude at best, downright childish at worst. But he did not become second in command of the Bretonian Armed Forces through favoritism, and was a wily character that could conjure up a stirring speech when it was needed. For this meeting, he opted to move the Essex in such a manner that the wrecks of New London were in full display, not so much a power play, but he enjoyed framing meetings in such a way that the environment was on his side, his former Gallic Royal navy guest would have a nice view of the various wrecks of her former compatriots - an awe inspiring sight - if she cared or not was another question entirely.

RE: Whiskey and Wine - Wesker - 01-06-2020

Meeting Center H.M.S-Essex, New London
1/6/743 A.G.S, 10:00 AM

There was a sense of peace in doing this all still for some reason, no stress, no flashbacks. Alice had faced all those demons before the war had ended, and some as well afterwards. But still, she couldn't deny the hint of fear in doing this all alone.

Eyes turned as the lynx came to a stop in the hangar bay, some of the people starred with disgust and disapproval. Others might've just seemed curious as to why she was here in the first place.

As Alice exited it was a different story though, the sight of that pretty red-head had a few whistling. Frowns turned to smirks, faces turned red. The deck officer seemed to stutter in asking Alice to follow him out of the hangar to the meeting room.

The stench of alcohol was more than obvious before they even entered. He made it clear before that he was a resident of Leeds, so the feeling of loss made some consumption obvious. But he was also an admiral, one would figure there would be some regulation. But no, not for this admiral there wasn't. "He's just ahead." Alice nodded in response as the door opened to reveal not only the Admiral but a bunch of other officers. Their presence made the whole scene a little uncomfortable. "So this is what mending looks like." Alice thought to herself.

Admiral, good morning and, thank you for allowing me to visit in person.

RE: Whiskey and Wine - Markam - 01-06-2020

John looked in the direction of the lady Infront, but for some reason he didn't seem to look at her directly, instead seeming staring right through her. Most would notice her beauty, but for some reason John felt nothing, just a numbness inside.

"Care for a drink?" John spoke in place of a 'Hello', the choice of words was strategic. He knew people saw him as a drunk, and his alcohol consumption and colourfulness supported the hypothesis. He decided to embrace the image with enthusiasm, because he conferred an advantage if people thought it made him incompetent, a loose cannon, a liability. When it did not at all, as evidence by his continued presence in the Admiralty, making key decisions and conducting advanced political and military moves that would put the soberest admiral to shame. His consumption was of course a slippery slope to walk, but he needed it at this juncture of his life.

"We have a lovely selection of Gallic wines, prized from the frozen hands of the mass murdering tossers whose ships are floating a short distance out of that window"
John pointed to the artificial window that presented a solid view of the Castres, a Gallic Royal Navy flagship that the Essex dispatched during the battle of London. "Take a seat, and we can have a glass, and ponder our current situation, eh? I'm sure there is a modicum of tension we can dispel with this here magic water."

RE: Whiskey and Wine - Wesker - 01-06-2020

1/6/743 A.G.S, 10:05 AM

She couldn't tell if it was a weird type of modesty or outright lust. But either way it would be rude to turn down the alcohol. Any kind of wine was tolerable, in smaller doses anyways...

Those small doses would still be enough to help her ignore the sight outside, it was bothersome and not bothersome at the same time. Many of them probably deserved what was coming, but on another note some of them were truly just too blinded or afraid. All Alice could do was look away and ignore, that wasn't the reason she was meeting with the Admiral. No need to pay any thought.

As long as it's not dry, I'll have some. Alice sat down, alleviating curiosity with a simple question.

You answer all other guests like this?

RE: Whiskey and Wine - Markam - 01-07-2020

"What do you mean, with free, presumably high quality Gallic wine? Did you want some cheese and raw ham to go with it?" Johns sarcasm was frankly painful to hear, and it was fortunate he was not married, lest it drive his significant other half to murder. "Now now, take a seat, I will pour you a glass, take a taste and see if its to your fancy." John knew his manners well despite his common heritage, the guest will taste a small amount of wine, and if it is satisfactory a proper glass full would be served for all. John took his hand to a near by bottle, and for a moment, in the reflection the liquid presented, he saw something.

Like a flash of light, for a split second John thought he saw the bloodied visage of a man, blood running down his forehead like a waterfall, covering his face, which had a look of terror like no other. John had to resist the urge to smash the bottle to the ground, so disturbing the image was to him. And as fast as the image came, it left, and John gathered his senses, though there was a noticeable delay in his gathering of the bottle and the pouring of the wine for his guest. John took a deep breath through his nose as the deed was complete, steadying his mood.

He waited patiently for Alice to take a taste, and nod in approval as most people do out of politeness, after which he started with some questions; "So, what part of the war did you realize you were fighting for a bloody thirsty madman? See much action in Leeds? Any of the ships floating outside familiar to you? I can grant access if you need some closure, or just spare parts for your ship."

RE: Whiskey and Wine - Wesker - 01-09-2020

1/6/743 A.G.S, 10:09 AM

He was so full of guilt it practically radiated from him, Alice could understand why though. Leeds was glassed to nothing, no war crime of that magnitude had been committed by another house that held itself to the term "lawful" or "honorable". There was no honor in what happened, perhaps he deserved the question that would bolster his pride. But the alcohol still bothered Alice.

I started to get my distaste after the princess was captured by a bunch of outcasts. Then our Grand Marchale went up and missing, the king wanted miracles far to often. He was an idiot, he never listed to his generals, especially me. I was afraid of tearing down my name, you're an admiral, if the queen started doing tomorrow what the Gallic crown had already done - would you be so quick to take up arms against her? If at all? The question sunk in some doubt, but it probably wouldn't be enough to change his opinion on the former royalist.

It took my fiance being beaten and tortured to drag me to that point. I wasn't in favor of the war after a certain point, oui. But I wasn't exactly fond of ripping my home apart either. My family entrusted me with their name, changing felt like smearing through the dirt. But what's done is done.

She sipped down half the glass, that part drew the most attention from Redmond.

I don't recognize the ships, but there's a few POWs you might have...

Maurice Cornett, Mathis Launcelot, Minori Shikizumi, Katsuko Komatsu, and Ambre Lachance

Those names ring a bell?

RE: Whiskey and Wine - Markam - 01-09-2020

John listened to what was said, but he found himself mostly bemused. After taking it all in, as politeness demanded, he returned on the question offensive. "You will have to forgive me, I don't mark my calendar by the rubbish that happened in Gallia proper. This abduction, and the vanishing of your superior you mentioned, where does this fit into the history books? Where was the fighting at that point? Did you serve during the invasion of Leeds?" John would not likely be happy until he could have a full, frank answer as to where this woman fitted into the war.

"And your former friends, I haven't a clue. The possibilities as to their whereabouts I do not think you need telling. Dead, a POW in my custody, or fighting with the Enclave, which is as good as dead I think you will agree." John did not inform Alice of the impending transfer of POWs back to Gallia in exchange for Allied POWs and abducted citizens, or where they were currently being kept, he would need a little more trust in her first.

RE: Whiskey and Wine - Wesker - 01-09-2020

1/6/743 A.G.S, 10:09 AM

It kind'a bothered Alice, his reaction to her friends missing. Yea, they were accountable for war crimes, well - some of them. But many of them were just in the same situation, a little lost maybe but not irredeemable.

Oui, I was there in Leeds when we first invaded. I wrote the narrative for the invasion of Magellan and I wrote the narrative and lead the charge in the attack that destroyed San Diego. Oui, I have quite a bit of blood on my hands, but even I wasn't completely beyond redeeming. The capture of Charlotte DeFrance happened a little after San Diego was destroyed. As for our Grand Marchale, Lucie LeBlanc, well that happened after we failed to get DeFrance back. I eventually ended up stranded on Leeds, my ship was taken from me, and I ran home. AWOLL.

The R.N.S-Vauquelin Royale, it was mine. George Hall and Dagon were my frequent run ins on the front line, Admiral O'Brien probably remembers me all to well also. I'll let her explain that to you.

The stories made her seem a bit more important, but only a bit. The old Gallic Royal Navy guard had been gone for so long, replaced by a new wave of loyalist troops which spearheaded a faulty assault into New London. Their names still stuck out to the newer generations though, only a few would remember how deadly the old guard really was.

If you find any of those names, I'd be the first to request a word with them. Not all of them are beyond redeeming, especially if I'm not.

RE: Whiskey and Wine - Markam - 01-09-2020

John had gotten a little carried away with the inquisition, in truth it did not matter up to a point. Short of Alice admitting to war crimes explicitly, the chances that she had a hand in the Leeds genocide were slim, and it was plainly obvious by her current situation that she had not been a recent part of the Enclave or what it formed from, that being the Dax, the Montmorency and the La Fierte fleets. By the sounds of it, she had been a part of the Carcassonne fleet that entered Liberty, perhaps the Bethany or others, but John could not find further reason to press at this point.

"An honest one, you are. Honesty is my weakness, I find it hard to hate those who are not bashful about their past. Very well, we will leave this point aside for now, maybe O'Brien or others can shed some light on your service record. What about after the split, you said you joined the Council?" John lightened his tone noticeably, if Alice had felt pressure or tension from John of his previous tone, she had just be relieved of said pressure.

"But again, where are my manners, before that, let us take a break from this grape juice and try something a little more wholesome." With the change in topics, John felt a change of drink would swap tracks nicely, he stood up from his desk, and moved over to a drinks cabinet which he opened with noticeable glee. He pulled out a bottle of 18 year old Scotch, and poured two glasses, adding a pinch of water his own. He put the guests whiskey on the desk in-front, together with the option of adding ice or water. "I won't berate you for taking it with ice, Scotch purists would complain for days, but I say have it as you like it. You are also free not to drink at all." John moved back to his chair and took a seat.

"On your former compatriots. I cannot bring the dead back to life, or there would be 5 billion more mouths to feed. But the POWs maybe I can help. Of course, the Carcassonne surrendered in Liberty, and by the service record you just mentioned, perhaps they are in Liberty custody instead. Raise a glass in toast praying they are alive I guess." John did not have much love for Gauls naturally, but he was a soldier first and foremost, and so he had no qualms about seeming to hope Gallic soldiers are alive, if only purely for the benefit of his guest.

RE: Whiskey and Wine - Wesker - 01-16-2020

1/6/743 A.G.S, 10:12 AM

Scotch was tempting, but no, those days were past. Alcohol didn't give the same fun-buzz effect it used to, not after using it as a way to drown guilt. That phase had come and gone, Alice intended to have it stay just at that - gone.

I'll stick with wine, merci.

Redmond was on the opposite end. The story was like adding two and two. Watching your home and all its inhabitants burn to the ground is a bit more than heart-breaking. There was pity to be felt, but Alice also wasn't here to numb the pain. Only redmond could do that for himself.

Alice rose the wine glass, somewhat astounded the Carcassone had actually bent the knee.

To their lively hood. And oui, if you can send me a list of captives, names. I'd much appreciate the chance to bring back some of my former comrades. Redeem them, change them for the better. I know it doesn't really mean much to you but, well it does to me.