Discovery Gaming Community
Powergaming - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Powergaming (/showthread.php?tid=176135)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Powergaming - Karlotta - 01-11-2020

If we use the definition in the OP, we would also make "power trading" against the rules.

I think a better definition would be "abusing your capabilities to unfairly control or hinder other players legitimate RP actions".

RE: Powergaming - Typrop - 01-11-2020

Powergaming is more on the roleplay side of things than the in-game side of things. The way I see it powergaming describes a broader category, with more specific behaviors tied to it. Things like metagaming, godmoding, whatnot. What it is, is an insurance against a percieved loss at the expense of roleplay and character. In practice, it makes things less entertaining. Things like operating under borderline omniscience, not suffering from appropriate consequences for a particular action, attempting to determine the outcome of events involving other parties without outside input or consent, etc.

The recent events concerning Exeter could have been a strong contender for what godmoding looks like, were the outcome not decided by an event. A heavily damaged, no, industrially crippled country annexing a territory to their direct south, successfully, without starting an outright war, much less tanking approval from other countries or their own civilian population.

Of course, the community, and by that I mean RHA/SCRA players put a stop to that one.

RE: Powergaming - Felsvar - 01-11-2020

Powergaming has many, ... how should i type it..., many forms in a Roleplaying game.

One can min-max their character to the full capabilities and be a disadvantage to other players. IE: Abusing their Character abilities like cloaking when a battle begins everytime. Not going to call names.

Another form is forcing someone to Roleplay your way when they do not want to participate in your dreamworld.

Also the commonly known one which is “Powertrading”. I mean c’mon! I have seen players get their first Battleship,fully equipped CAU8 installed and all, in less than 24 hours.

RE: Powergaming - Hokan - 01-11-2020

When I have Role played in the past on different MMOs, Power-gaming was specifically related to ways you emoted.
If you emoted in such a way that denied the opportunity to react/counter. That was consider a power-emote.

RE: Powergaming - Thunderer - 01-11-2020

@Typrop I spoke with SCRA| and SCEC players before I wrote that. We knew how the event would end and the transition from triumph to panic was intentional. But thanks for the jab at my back for no reason...

(01-11-2020, 10:11 PM)Thunderer Wrote: @Typrop I spoke with SCRA| and SCEC players before I wrote that. Thanks for the jab at my back for no reason...

And I didn't know that one, all I had to go on was the upset from SCRA| voice chat by people who, also, apparently didn't know. I'll edit it out.

I spoke with @"SnakeLancerGame", LaWey (his Discord name, forgot what he was called on the forums; he's the SKEK dictator afaik) and @Groshyr. I spoke with @"Gregor Hansen" later and he was also alright with it.

(01-11-2020, 10:20 PM)Thunderer Wrote: I spoke with @"SnakeLancerGame", LaWey (his Discord name, forgot what he was called on the forums) and @Groshyr. I spoke with @"Gregor Hansen" later and he was also alright with it.

And most of the complaints did not come from them. My mistake.

Also, LaWey's called @"Anton Okunev".

Thanks, apology accepted.

RE: Powergaming - Pepe - 01-11-2020

Is pressing players via forum powergaming too?