Discovery Gaming Community
Freelancer joining own server - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Freelancer joining own server (/showthread.php?tid=17616)

Pages: 1 2

Freelancer joining own server - ZTeeVeR - 03-11-2009

Ok, here's the problem.

PC 1: will leave specs for the moment, it more than exceeeds requirements
XP Home
AVG (old version)

Ok, start FLserver, then i start Freelancer, i can locate my own server and join it.

PC 2 (laptop)
Vista Home
Avira
Ok, start FLserver, then i start Freelancer, i can locate my own server and then. When joining the server lead goes up to 45% but i cannot join (operation took longer then expected).

Anyone else have this?

Freelancer joining own server - Errant.Venture - 03-11-2009

hmm sounds like a network problem....i assume your using 1 router, with 1 IP address...so when you create a MP game, then you cannot log on, because the router/server thinks its the same pc

i had that problem trying to do internet games, with Age of empires 2, with 5 pc's in the house..

Edit: sorry i forgot to give you a solution...try messing with the LAN settings

Ah, ok that could be it. But then vista suffers from this as i have no problems with with XP.

Not too sure how to solve that though. Messing with the LAN settings never did any good. (apart from loosing all connectivity:))

Thanks for your help, i might just use the XP pc as dedicated server then, that should work..

Freelancer joining own server - Errant.Venture - 03-11-2009

also...you might try running FL on the vista computer, in 16 bit video mode, and XP compatability...

That's a good one! i will give that a shot as well! will let you know the outcome

Freelancer joining own server - ZTeeVeR - 03-12-2009

Unfortunately nothing worked.

However wat i noticed was that the IP adress in the server list was an IP6 and not IP4, could that be the problem?

and how do i solve that?

Freelancer joining own server - Caelum - 03-12-2009

I'm no expert, but that sounds like the problem.

There should be an option to disable IP v6 somewhere in your pc's control/configuration panel I'd think, but I'm not using Vista, so not sure. Try google:P

Freelancer joining own server - johnpeter - 03-13-2009

This happened to me,
Un-tick Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 in your network adapter settings.
Could be that you've got both IPX/SPX and TCP/IP protocol bound on your connection / card. IPX addresses are in hexadecimal format

Freelancer joining own server - Tasha Renault - 03-13-2009

I tried all these solutions as well with no success the IP's are still garbled, the closest we got was the computer hosting the server could not connect but the other person could log on because the ip appeared normally. but when the host tried to log it just came up as gibrish.

Freelancer joining own server - ZTeeVeR - 03-13-2009

yep, i can confirm that just had a look and the "strange IP adress" also exists.

Edit, perhaps this works (i still need to test) :

Unlike Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 cannot be uninstalled. However, you can disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 by doing one of the following:

In the Network Connections folder, obtain properties on all of your connections and adapters and clear the check box next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) component in the list under This connection uses the following items.

This method disables IPv6 on your LAN interfaces and connections, but does not disable IPv6 on tunnel interfaces or the IPv6 loopback interface.

Add the following registry value (DWORD type) set to 0xFFFFFFFF:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

This method disables IPv6 on all your LAN interfaces, connections, and tunnel interfaces but does not disable the IPv6 loopback interface. You must restart the computer for this registry value to take effect.

For additional information about the DisabledComponents registry value, see Configuring IPv6 with Windows Vista.

If you disable IPv6, you will not be able to use Windows Meeting Space or any application that relies on the Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking platform or the Teredo transition technology.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/ipv6faq.mspx

EDIT: THIS WORKED FOR ME!!!!!!!!!