Discovery Gaming Community
A Proposal for the Streitmächte - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Communication Channel (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: A Proposal for the Streitmächte (/showthread.php?tid=177065)

A Proposal for the Streitmächte - Dieter Schprokets - 02-22-2020

[Image: mm_logo2.png]

I've been too long away from home...

Planet Holstein loomed larger in the viewscreen. The automated processes took over the approach and landing, allowing Wilhem's mind to wander..

What if I see him while I am here?

He shook his mind back to the present to report his arrival to Traffic Control, the controller had a thick accent, rolling his R's.

Bayarisch, thought Wilhelm. The accent reminded him of the beer made in Stuttgart. Something else to miss...

Twenty minutes after landing, and a subsequent cab ride, Wilhelm found himself facing quite the building.

The building practically screamed "Ich bin Militär". Stark, practical, dark block. And an entrance guarded by men who had clearly left their sense of humour in a jar at home this morning.

Wilhelm approached the men, told them a quick joke, thereby confirmed their humourlessness, then announced himself.

"Ich heisse Wilhelm Von Humboldt. Bin Ich hier, um den Admiral zu sehen."

The guard reacted, just a bit, to his name.

"Haben Sie dann einen Termin?"

"Ja."

"Moment, bitte."

Instructions were relayed to the guard, who nodded and silently waved him through the security screening.

Three minutes later, Wilhelm was in an office whose most remarkable feature was the oak furniture and trim; a rarity. It was hardy stuff. Like the lady he was meeting.

Admiral Runa Morgenstern arrived, entered, and sat across the desk from Wilhelm wordlessly, but somehow it came off not rudely, but simply formally.

"Wilhelm Von Humboldt. Guten Tag! I have met you before, at an advanced weapons conference in New Berlin. We chatted briefly about Tachyon confinement."

Wilhelm smiled. He did his best to appear like he had not totally forgotten that, and likely got away with it.

"Yes, I remember. You had a better understanding than the typical Militär officer."

She smiled back, only slightly. For her, this was probably functionally equivalent to a wide grin.

"I have reviewed your informal proposal. I wanted to hear more myself before I committed."

Wilhelm nodded. "As I indicated, I have assembled a security firm consisting primarily of Bretonian war veterans, whose skills are no longer needed by the Crown. Professionals all."

"In essence, we will augment the capabilities of the Streitmächte in any way that you require. We can provide plausible deniability, intelligence and recon, and supplementary combat assistance. But we can scope our contract any way you see fit."

She read the documents he had previously provided briefly. Then looked up.

"Herr Humboldt, I have enough information to carry on assessing your proposal with other staff officers. Will you be remaining a few days? If so, I could recall you here tomorrow, or the day after, to give you our response, in person."

He nodded. "That would be most satisfactory. I look forward to seeing you then." He got up to leave.

The Admiral said her pleasantries, and as he was leaving, she added; "Perhaps you will have time to see your son? It can be arranged."

Wilhelm took a sharp breath, and held it. His answer was spoken quickly. "No. I do not think that will be likely."

She frowned. And he elaborated.

"Admiral, I have two sons. One hates me for my former life's work, and the other hates me because I stopped doing it. Dieter, as you can guess, is the latter."

She pursed her lips. "That is unfortunate. You should know though, that he is doing well."

He thanked her with a smile, then left.

As he was walking the streets of the City, ones he had not seen in years, a small truth occurred to him.

One can never come precisely home.