Discovery Gaming Community
BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Communication Channel (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Forum: Sirius News and Commerce (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=57)
+---- Thread: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament (/showthread.php?tid=177488)

BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - jammi - 03-14-2020

[Image: CNwiaZq.png]
[Image: UznhzGH.png?1]

[Image: iAhPvlG.png?1] 827 AS - 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament
[Image: zNAGUUC.png?1] 827 AS - Green Front request for judicial review of wartime environmental damage on Planet New London dismissed
[Image: zNAGUUC.png?1] 827 AS - Royal Bretonian Historical Society petition for Southampton Wreck preservation to be considered by War Cabinet
[Image: GPWEaDx.png?1] 827 AS - Leeds refugee rookies 'Glasgow's Ghosts' make it to plasmaball quarterfinals against Colorado Eagles
[Image: zNAGUUC.png?1] 827 AS - Bowex convoy destroyed in Nottingham system; Corsair raiders suspected
[Image: GPWEaDx.png?1] 827 AS - Political impasse in Rhienland bundestag as internal turmoil intensifies.
[Image: iAhPvlG.png?1] 827 AS - Budget: Bretonian economy stagnating; manufacturing, construction growth preventing recession.

'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament
NEW LONDON - After a week of polarising and fierce debates, the House of Commons voted today on the controversial 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion. The amendment to the Queen's Budget finance bill was introduced by Morgan Porter (Lambeth district, PNL-LB) of the Liberal Party, and co-sponsored by Robert Bailey (Merton district, PNL-MT) of the Federalists. The motion was intended to redirect the expanded finances earmarked for military fleet expansion towards civil reconstruction and economic stimulus projects.

The amendment was ultimately defeated by 2 votes, a shocking result that lays bare the tensions within the coalition of interests making up the Royalist Party Parliamentary majority. Despite strong indications that all involved parties would vote along purely partisan lines, 6 Royalist MPs voted in favour of the amendment, and 1 Federalist MP against. Now facing widespread condemnation by her peers, Federalist Harriet Green (Port Jackson, PEX-PJ) stated, "I cannot in good conscious vote against the interests of my constituents in the Exeter System, who desperately need the support of a revitalised and expanded Armed Forces."

Similarly, the 6 dissenting Royalist backbenchers have received furious condemnation after disobeying a three-line whip and a direct intervention by Lady Mountbatten intended to shore up opposition to the motion. None of the 6 rebel MPs from Planet Sprague could be reached for further comment, with Royalist sources advising that serious discussions were being held on withdrawing the party whip and initiating candidate re-selection proceedings. Such a step would drastically imperil Prime Minister Hacker's slim majority in the Commons, posing a challenge to the passage of future finance bills and legislative assents.

Robert Bailey issued a bitter statement following the vote's conclusion, criticising the expanded military budget "as a millstone around the neck of the wider economy". Representatives of the War Cabinet noted that they were 'satisfied' with the vote's outcome, and "glad that common sense prevailed regarding the protection of the Bretonian people". The newly passed Queen's Budget includes widened provisions for the repair and reinforcement of existing Armed Forces battlegroups, expansive security budgets for the Exeter and Nottingham systems, and funding for provisional scoping exercises on the placement of a new military shipyard.

The BBC retains the right to select from these contributions based on editorial requirements and subject to online terms and conditions and BBC editorial guidelines. For more information about how the BBC handles your personal data, see here.

Comments:
Sorted by newest:

OOC: If anyone else wants to use this format for their own articles, a template can be found here.

RE: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - Thunderer - 03-14-2020

001. Tommy_B_802
8 Mar 827 17:42

Good decision, but too much arguing over it. I wish our government was faster and more effective. I serve in the Exeter garrison and two weeks ago I saw the result of a Zoner attack against a Bretonian civilian household. Bloody mess it was, not something I'd recommend seeing. But ZONERS, out of all the hairy barbarians of the Omegas? We are allowing ourselves to be bullied by some PACIFISTS while them plonkers in the Parliament are being paid by Bretonian citizens to argue? I say that's enough. We need someone strong to bring order and bring back greatness to our injured nation.

If Fleet Admiral Steiner ever decides it has been enough and that it is time to take things into his own hands, he should know that all truly loyal and patriotic Bretonians support him.
7232 18677

RE: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - Kokopelli - 03-14-2020

002. Bridget.Poppins
14 Mar 827 17:50

Thank you, Ms. Green, for being the only Federalist with an understanding of what Bretonia is up against. Now, if only those moaners with whom you share party affiliation could share a bit of your acumen.

Here on Exeter, we're at the forefront of Bretonian civilization. We survived through the devastation of Leeds before coming here, and we'll continue to survive through Coalition bombardments and Corsair raiding parties. All we need is that our military remains properly staffed and at the ready.

We can't lose Exeter. Not only is it a garden world, but also a gateway to the Omega worlds and their resources. Resources our nation desperately needs to rebuild and grow again.
How shortsighted must one be to not realise this?

1362 253

RE: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - Kaze - 03-14-2020

003. Stiglitz67
14 Mar 827 18:00

How and why in the bloody hells the Sprague MDs voted against? Are they daft? What's the Duchess doing???
5374 90

RE: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - jammi - 03-14-2020

004. CommonSence825
8 Mar 827 19:22

all i kno is that my taxes go up and up and up every year and im not getting anything back 4 it as far as i can see. maybe the feds & libs have got the right idea putting sum of that back into making every1 a bit better off?? were not at war anymore!!
359 347

RE: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - Darkstar_Spectre - 03-14-2020

005. Fortunes_Favor
8 Mar 827 21:00

Once more the Bretonian Parliament shows that it cares more about protecting it's ill-gotten gains from the illegal invasion of Gran Canaria than it does of helping those on New London who lost everything during the war.
1700 1587

RE: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - Couden - 03-14-2020

006. JBretonian_Aggresor109
8 Mar 827 17:42

Bretonian Crown is the same tyranny as Gallic monarchy was. Bretonia have annexed and invaded onto the Omega-3 and Omega-49, under the "War requirements" but now they won't give it back. Once again the Bretonian Goverment shows that they don't care about the citizens of other nations and they screws the treties they abide. Gwent and Stirling were the most hillarious loss of the Bretonian fleet. Small Coalition and Hessian forces were managed to destroy 2 Battlegroups. What are you without your daddy Liberty, huh?
20904 19831

RE: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - Groshyr - 03-14-2020

007. Dwahan801@exeter.br
8 Mar 827 18:05

Selling space ship hangar at planet Exeter. Serenity-size (probably could get a bit more bigger ship inside but no sure). Contact me for details!
694 1241

RE: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - Operative Siren - 03-14-2020

008. SirenSong
8 Mar 827 18:32

maybe bretonia wont need liberty to win their wars this time!
3457 7229

RE: BBC: 'Swords into Ploughshares' motion struck down in Bretonian Parliament - Markam - 03-15-2020

009. TollKean1337
8 Mar 827 19:32

You have my sword, Frodonia.
13445 729