Discovery Gaming Community
Conquest of Paradise - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Conquest of Paradise (/showthread.php?tid=177514)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Conquest of Paradise - Wake - 03-15-2020

The sound was confusing at first, the faintest touch of a myriad of notes eerily suspending themselves in the air as they traveled the distance. And with every step, Elizabeth Hall, walked towards its source, her destiny. Guards, nowhere in sight. Security systems were activated, she double checked. And yet, the sound grew bigger, more melodic, more clear, like honey called to a bear. Or flame to a moth. Was she the bear or the moth? At last, in front of the doors, she composed herself. Ready and regal, she opened them without ceremony and with a rehearsed mask filled with disgust and confusion on who was playing the intricate instrument in her office. Not that she played. Not that she had ever know someone that played it. Such knowledge was normally reserved for the best of Bretonia, and gaining such would indicate the ultimate favor of the Crown, or that you were part of it. Part of Her. An auburn beauty furiously hammered the keys in sync, like she was in a trance as the crescendo was rising through the walls like invading waves into the room of the chateau.

New London System, Windsor - 800 A.S.

A small child was sweating as her small hands traveled the harpsichord. One dissonant sound and the slim, hard hitting cane descended like the fury of the gods once again. The girl winced in pain and rubbed her hands. The woman teaching her looked at her without a hint of hate or rage. Just plain indifference.

"Again."

The woman spoke. The girl looked back in defiance, her mouth prepared with questions that filled her mind.

"It is our right. It is our honor. It is our duty. Again."

The small girl huffed, and prepared herself for another round of La Folia.

The music gathered a crescendo capable of raising one's soul. She walked slowly, tentatively, towards the musician in trance, the one truly living the music, the one that kept on playing like she was not even there. And for some minutes, there they stood. A musician and her audience, with only the harpsichord talking, making the impossible possible. Hope out of fear, Excitement out of melancholy. And as every feeling it conveyed, it ended abruptly, with the woman on the keys pacing her breath, and turning around to look at Elizabeth. Rising and extending her bare hand as a greeting, she smiled like a million warm suns and with a sheepish look, she finally spoke. "My lady Governor. I am terribly sorry." Her curtsy was polite, somewhat unpolished, one would say almost naive. "I couldn't help myself, it has been too long since I last played." The woman said while waving towards the harpsichord, with a deep smile in her face. "I am Commander Agnes Wake. Agnes Augusta Wake." The accent was low born Leeds, the smile was war-free Cambridge, and the talent was posh New London. This woman was something completely new. How could someone this radiant escape her knowledge?

RE: Conquest of Paradise - Thunderer - 03-16-2020

A soldier in a ball dress, that was Wake's first sight of Elizabeth Hall. Wake had examined her file before she came, as thoroughness was one of her habits. Hall had an unusually short service record, yet she was already a commodore and the governor of an entire system too. Of course, there was much less mystery here, as it was easy to realize Hall was a client of the Steiners. Unknown to Hall, Wake had already conversed with a number of her staff after she had entered using the fleet admiral's pass. "Full Makeup Commodore": that is what they called Hall when she was not present. A mock nickname derived from the Full Metal Commodore, the one they used for Commodore Kaze Dagon, due to her bionics and her almost literal iron fist. Hall did not have an iron fist, though she did wear a glove on her left hand for some reason, but none on her right.

"Why did you stop?", Hall asked as if truly confused.

RE: Conquest of Paradise - Wake - 03-17-2020

The question caused her a small grin, as if a child has asked the why of something. "The music met its end, I'm afraid, Lady Governor." Looking at the woman in front of her, her eyes traveled up and down ever so slightly to take the details in. The pristine make-up, the gloved hand, the delicate fabric. "Much as the feeling from where this work of art comes from.. it ends abruptly." Looking at the desk and seats, she slightly rose her eyebrows as a silent signal that she was awaiting the request to be seated.

RE: Conquest of Paradise - Thunderer - 03-17-2020

"Excuse me", she said as she took a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, "If you won't play, I need something else to keep my nerves from exploding." She extended one to Wake. "Do you smoke?"

Smiling, she shook her head, denying the offer. "Smoked in the past. Cigars, cretan if I was lucky to find some." Taking a small walk around the office room, she took in the details. "It seems you are having troubles, Lady Governor. The edge of the civilized world does not agree with you?" She asked with her back towards Elizabeth, looking at a small fresco of a landscape in Exeter. Her eyes focused on the minute details of the painting, the disposition of colors quite correct for a Las Palmas sunset.

There was much relief in the smoke Elizabeth exhaled. It was not the nicotine, it was too early for that at the first smoke, it was Elizabeth's subconsciousness that was classically conditioned to calm down at the scent of tobacco. Her eyes followed Wake's wake and stopped at the red sun. "Oh, it's a damn beast this world, it is. But I'll tame it", she exclaimed through her teeth with smoke and narrowed her eyelids in savage determination to match the savageness of the world. She seated herself on the nearest armchair and took another puff. "Though first I need to correct the myriad of mistakes that my predecessor's reckless impulsiveness has made..."

The mention of the predecessor was not lost in her, and while normally she would smirk at the notion, she decided against. "I think Admiral Redmond did a very good job, considering he had to handle all of the locals and the war back at home." Sitting in the chair opposed to Elizabeth, she let a small sigh, gathering her thoughts.

Omega-49, Planet Gran Canaria- 826 A.S.

The small drop-pod, filled with 16 armed men of the 45th 7-3 shook as it broke the atmosphere. Red klaxons plunged the occupants mind with how quickly their altitude was dropping. All of their eyes were wide-open. After all, it wasn't every day that they would perform a combat drop into hostile territory, namely the biggest corsair colony in the planet, codename CS-1. One of them however was at peace, like it was just another regular tuesday. Finally when the maneuvering thrusters kicked in, a semblance of calm appeared, and with it came her voice through the in-visor comm.

"This is your moment in Sirius, soldiers."

Cold, strong and unyielding, her voice was much like the image she carried. Admiral Kaze Dagon, in the middle of them, and all of their minds were in sync listening to her voice and looking at her face.

"Today, we show the universe Bretonia is not a complacent grazing animal to be nibbled at will. Today we show the universe..."

The warning klaxon of immediate ground contact rang and the pod not even two seconds later shook like it was hit by a dreadnought. The main exit port exploded outwards, and their training kicked in. Less than five seconds later all fifteen were out of the pod and taking positions. The night sky lit up with hundreds more falling like droplets of a fiery iron rain over the colony. Admiral Kaze Dagon exited last, releasing the safety of her rifle.

"Today, we show the universe how Bretonia bites back."

Pulling her wrist-pad, she quickly answered a comm, and looked at Elizabeth. "However, a lot of things could have been better. Hindsight is twenty twenty, so they say." Leaning back, a thought ran through her brain. With a sad smile she said. "And on that note, I am at fault. I forgot to give you my condolences about your father and your brother. These are indeed terrible times for your family."

"Redmond?", Elizabeth exclaimed over Agnes' formal condolences, as if already satiated with how often she had received such. Even the walking drunken rock was higher on the priority list by now, because the walking drunken rock was business. "No, no, Redmond was not my predecessor, he is still my commander." She didn't even notice that Agnes had mentioned a brother, who Elizabeth had never had. "I am speaking about that self-entitled royal brat called Dagon. She came here, made a mess, then imagined her body was stronger than the armour of a Valor", she said with a mocking grin as if sharing something meant to be ridiculous with Agnes, "And now I must clean up behind her. An ungrateful task, if you ask me. She gets all the credit by being a dolt while my hard work keeps going unnoticed..." In the middle of her daily troubles and caught unprepared, she still didn't notice that she hadn't let Agnes have a seat.

"Unnoticed, Lady Governor? I got to say that for someone that used to sell her body, has a poor service record and the nickname of Full Makeup Commodore, you, definitively do not go unnoticed." The smile in the eyes disappeared, taken away by words, but the one in the lips did not, causing an eerie sensation. "But I can understand your jealousy and difficulty in dealing with the local situation." Leaning back in the chair, looking at Elizabeth's mouth agape, the smile returned to her eyes. Before Elizabeth could stammer a retort, she raised her hands apologetically. "I do understand that I may be out of tone here, but blame it on my upbringing. Murdered family of factory workers do have little time for bullsh**."

"Sell her body? What!? Are you talking about me!?" That was the retort Elizabeth was trying to stammer for the entire time. She did work as a lady long ago, but she did not expect anyone important to know of it.