Discovery Gaming Community
Giving Official Factions a purpose - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Giving Official Factions a purpose (/showthread.php?tid=178359)

Pages: 1 2 3

Giving Official Factions a purpose - Avalanche - 04-12-2020

Quote:The poll results are pretty conclusive. It's been good to see what everyone thinks.

The idea came to me first, when I was wondering about buffing official trading factions transports beyond 5,000 units to something like 5,250 or 5,500. This would likely make official trading factions more inviting, resulting in more transport convoys, resulting in more piracy, resulting in more lawfuls and unlawfuls (the activity cycle of Discovery).

I then expanded the idea to include more elements like weapon output and hull points to which I think most are against. I understand why.

I am now curious if only exploring the idea of official faction cargo capacity would be more widely accepted and well received.

Original Post

TLDR

Give official factions bonuses in order to encourage players to join official factions which in turn would increase the number of organic group logins.

Background

I do not know personally what the main advantages are to being in an official faction besides having others to fly with, bragging rights and a CAU8 given by staff. I strongly believe in order to get more people to log, official factions need to be in a healthy state. This means well populated and logging organically rather than just for events.

The idea

Provide official faction members with small in game advantages. These advantages could be faction specific or a blanket.

Examples listed below are just for demonstration.

1. Mining factions get a +5% XYZ increase.
  2. Trading factions get a +5% XYZ increase.
  3. Other factions get a +5% XYZ increase.

I am not pushing any specific statistic but just to give an idea, possible increases could be given to damage output, ammunition count, radar range, cruise speed, cruise charge time, cruise power depletion, cargo hold, mining yield, hull points, number of systems already explored on new characters, nano/shield bot capacity, able to purchase new armour upgrades or guns or ships.

In doing so more people would be incentive to join official factions and so would join their Discord channels.

More players in official faction Discords would result in more logging on as groups which would then alert relevant official factions to counter log.

Drawbacks

1. Initial development time required = I do not know. Could official faction IDs provide the bonus automatically thus cutting back development time?

2. Admin oversight time required = I do not know.

3. Players not in official factions having a small disadvantage = Acceptable drawback I would argue. Mainly due to it being small disadvantage. Additionally, games often provide small advantages to players due to meeting certain criteria.

RE: Giving Official Factions a purpose - Shiki - 04-12-2020

No, OFs already gots faction rights and perks. And giving them gameplay advantege over indies is Just lame as hell.

RE: Giving Official Factions a purpose - Groshyr - 04-12-2020

Please up mining bonuses to 4.0 for indies and 5.0 for OF or 6.0 for OF mining factions. Thanks

RE: Giving Official Factions a purpose - NixOlympica - 04-12-2020

Some OFs already have mining bonuses tied to their ID.

RE: Giving Official Factions a purpose - Stolt. - 04-12-2020

I'm only against this because I don't think a 5% bonus is high enough, otherwise I agree with the idea of pushing players into official factions because the idea of secondary faction characters is slightly strange to me.

RE: Giving Official Factions a purpose - Venkman - 04-12-2020

(04-12-2020, 11:47 AM)Groshyr Wrote: Please up mining bonuses to 4.0 for indies and 5.0 for OF or 6.0 for OF mining factions. Thanks

I am sorry, but no. Mining is already fast enough.

As for the other things, being official is only really worth to mining factions as they can get a very valuable 4.0 bonus. I don't really know what you would give shipping factions as bonus.

The idea is nice though.

RE: Giving Official Factions a purpose - St.Denis - 04-12-2020

Official Factions
Have their own Forums, therefore their Threads don't get lost in the general clutter.
Also their Leaders are named in an easy place to find.
Have Faction Perks which they claim every 2 months.
Lawful Groups are members of the Government and can make up the Laws and have them enforced. Unlawfuls can make up Laws in their area and enforce them.
Some Factions have better ZOI than their Indy counterparts.
Are included in the Dev Chats for liaising for Updates etc (Some I believe don't have this due to certain issues).
Are supposed to be set a higher degree of behaviour ('supposed' is the optimum word here).
Should be held more accountable for their actions/member's actions (not enforced)
Expected to achieve 72 hours activity every 90 (or so) days. Some play the ping-pong game of going under warning, keep their nose clean for 2 quarters, going on warning, ad infinitum. Whilst others garner their activity in the last few weeks so they achieve the bare minimum.

If OFs want more Members, then I suggest they get out there and 'show the flag' more often, instead of 'sitting on their laurels' and waiting for the multitude to beg the OFs to allow them to join.
There are a lot of Players out there, you just need to entice them to join your Factions. There will be some that are totally not interested in joining (maybe quite a few).

Maybe one of the ways to clean up the OFs image is to have only the Faction's HC respond to Feedback. Make the answers reasonable and non-inflammatory.

Quote:I am sorry, but no. Mining is already fast enough.
I have never been a Member of an Official Mining Faction, but as an Indy, mining appears quite fast. Therefore I have to agree with this.

So all in all, I will have to vote for a No, on this idea.

RE: Giving Official Factions a purpose - Prysin - 04-12-2020

(04-12-2020, 12:37 PM)St.Denis Wrote: Official Factions
Have their own Forums, therefore their Threads don't get lost in the general clutter.
Also their Leaders are named in an easy place to find.
Have Faction Perks which they claim every 2 months.
Lawful Groups are members of the Government and can make up the Laws and have them enforced. Unlawfuls can make up Laws in their area and enforce them.
Some Factions have better ZOI than their Indy counterparts.
Are included in the Dev Chats for liaising for Updates etc (Some I believe don't have this due to certain issues).
Are supposed to be set a higher degree of behaviour ('supposed' is the optimum word here).
Should be held more accountable for their actions/member's actions (not enforced)
Expected to achieve 72 months activity every 90 (or so) days. Some play the ping-pong game of going under warning, keep their nose clean for 2 quarters, going on warning, ad infinitum. Whilst others garner their activity in the last few weeks so they achieve the bare minimum.

If OFs want more Members, then I suggest they get out there and 'show the flag' more often, instead of 'sitting on their laurels' and waiting for the multitude to beg the OFs to allow them to join.
There are a lot of Players out there, you just need to entice them to join your Factions. There will be some that are totally not interested in joining (maybe quite a few).

Maybe one of the ways to clean up the OFs image is to have only the Faction's HC respond to Feedback. Make the answers reasonable and non-inflammatory.

Quote:I am sorry, but no. Mining is already fast enough.
I have never been a Member of an Official Mining Faction, but as an Indy, mining appears quite fast. Therefore I have to agree with this.

So all in all, I will have to vote for a No, on this idea.

see, that's why its hard to justify being official

RE: Giving Official Factions a purpose - MasterL410 - 04-12-2020

Can we quickly talk about that this guy wants to give [RHA] a 5% damage increase on their gunfire? Please, see a doctor, get some help.

For real though, when the OF IDs recieved an increased mining bonus, I was against it (I was IMG| 1ic at that time). Obviously the devs didn't care. Such splits often make indy IDs unviable, which discourages people from trying the playstyle of the NPC faction. If you can't motivate people to join your OF, you should re-think your faction concept and/or practice your advertising skills.

Those benefits you proposed are unfair and make the game almost unplayable to indies, which makes it even harder for unofficial factions to survive their very long trial time.

RE: Giving Official Factions a purpose - St.Denis - 04-12-2020

(04-12-2020, 12:41 PM)Prysin Wrote: see, that's why its hard to justify being official

Edited