Discovery Gaming Community
NEMP suspension - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: NEMP suspension (/showthread.php?tid=179501)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: NEMP suspension - Binski - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 02:59 AM)Reeves Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 01:08 AM)Binski Wrote: Sorry but what should really be done is make them usable in pvp again and tell those who can't handle it to suck it up, and take it out in game.

Ah, ignorance is bliss. It wasn't disabled because people complained about its use in pvp. This was done because a trend was starting to form where at every major event you'd have a hacker man chain firing the things at everyone and crashing what's going on.

Disabling their more ballistic usage put an end to that avenue of cheating and exploits. So in the words of karst, maybe it is U who should suck it up and take it out in game.

Or we could just lesson the damage caused, or add a moneysink shield that prevents a ship from being taken out instantly. There are pleny of other solutions possible. But I was aware that people thought that they'd wind up in the situation you describe, but it rarely happened, and rarely mattered. Even if someone wanted to spend all that money on surprises, doesn't bother me. Just fix it. Otherwise it was indeed whiny babies that complained that they were too good to go down so fast, so its pvp use was axed. Guess 150 FPS can't save you from everything after all!

I'm not sure how to suck it up more than I already have, I've sat on NEMP's for years not getting any use out of them to save others some incovenience. I think the blissful ignorance is on the part of the player that won't even launch unless they are assured they won't be NEMP'd. That is just sad! But I'll concede, there should be an earnable defense that could help like a special shield.

If people are allowed to use them for real battles, they'll use them more strategically. Its having a scripted gathering thats the problem there anyways, not the NEMP option. Scripting a freely unfolding reality often has problems. When battles are unfolding outside of events, and are actually happneing around POB's or territory, NEMP's are perfect accelerants, balancers, etc. Lets go back to actually fighting over things for real, in real time, and whenever conflict rolls out both sides will have the option.

The real bottom line is, if they could be used in-game against large objects like bases or weapons platforms, people would prioritize around using them for that. There are definitely ways to minimize abusers. Most serious players would only want the chance to use them well for their own side.

They could just let them cause something like 25-50 million HP damage to POB's, and factions would at least still want to earn them, and perhaps always be in the maket for them, for when they siege bases. Smaller factions could have the option to earn them for such special circumstances. That one simple use would give them a super value right off the bat and they'd still be as valuable and in demand. So really if someone wants to sink hundreds of millions into that kind of card to play for a siege or whatever, whats really wrong with that?

We should be allowing player factions to make moves on one another, and finally challenge in an organized way over stations and territory. Then players would gather for real, unscripted event battles, that would revolve around the issue at hand, not kill counting. Meaning a station would change hands after a siege similar to POB sieging. In cases like that, people would use NEMP's to try to break attacking waves, or soften up a defending group of ships. When there's a real battle scenario unfolding freely, you get the chance to actually use them for keeping your side on top. In some cases, yes, larger factions would then get to try to grab some stations from others, and either side could use NEMP's to help their chances. Doesn't that sound worth a little risk the odd fool who'd waste them on one time crashes?

And I know many will say we just did this real war scenario over Cologne. Well that could have been worse, but it was yet again only tip toeing up to what we could be doing. Next pick a spot that people really care about. Thats what people want, the chance to do more stuff, and this decision is going the wrong direction! A few minor changes and they'd work fine!

Let factions finally challenge over places, and let those NEMP's be real weapons again, and you'd see some crazy epic battles/wars occur. Those conflicts last more than a day, or week and keep people busy! There should be hotspots like this all over the server. Zoners should be able to use these in challenges over Gran Canaria, IMG should be able to use them in a challenge for Aland. The Enclave could be challenged by anyone over Issoudun. As long as there'd be a player faction to lead the effort, if we allowed this, there'd be stuff going on all over the server all the time. I can only imagine how it would go in Rheinland. Any major shipyards could also be fought over like that. I'm willing to bet players would love it of we did all that!

RE: NEMP suspension - LuckyOne - 05-10-2020

I have no idea how NEMPs work, so I can't really comment on usage... But having a defined mechanic to siege NPC bases seems to me like a better idea than having the GM team have more work on reading pages and pages and pages of (sometimes pretty lame) RP.

Even better if that mechanic is a money sink so factions/players actually need to do real in-game work to start a siege instead of a few hours of brainstorming and some forumlancing.

As for the current "real war scenario in Cologne" I have literally been camping there for several days and there was barely any activity. At least from what i hear NEMP based events get some actual activity...

What I would like to see (but I have no idea if it's possible) is to make NEMP an actual terrorist weapon. That is, make it "disable" (not destroy) NPC bases hit by it (and maybe only usable by unlawful / quasi -lawful / intelligence / special ops factions).

Then you could have interesting stuff happening. For example corporations could hire some homemade terrorists (or foreign agents) to disable a competitor base. Or a government could order a strike by secret forces to disable an enemy shipyard.

The stations would stay disabled for a day or several days, making the attackers have an advantage by denying supplies, or use of heavy assets / weapons for that period.

EDIT: This would also make POBs more important and strategic, as they could be used to stockpile weapons / ammo in case your faction's NPC base is disabled, but of course such supplies would be limited by the storage space of POBs.

RE: NEMP suspension - Swallow - 05-10-2020

NPC bases might have a use for something like DPS detection. When the fleet DPS output is big enough it would then trigger an event?

RE: NEMP suspension - Reddy - 05-10-2020

remember when NEMPs were used in pvp, wesker got NEMPed trice lmao

RE: NEMP suspension - SnakThree - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 10:58 AM)Reddy Wrote: remember when NEMPs were used in pvp, wesker got NEMPed trice lmao

Good times. https://i.imgur.com/flgBqrw.png

RE: NEMP suspension - sasapinjic - 05-10-2020

It was a got damn time to remove this trolish weapon only usefoul for "lol i killed 5 random pepole, i am awesome" .

RE: NEMP suspension - Skorak - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 11:29 AM)sasapinjic Wrote: It was a got damn time to remove this trolish weapon only usefoul for "lol i killed 5 random pepole, i am awesome" .

It couldn't kill anyone for over a year now.

RE: NEMP suspension - Champ - 05-10-2020

Thank goodness for that. Removal altogether. An interesting item for lore / a doomsday-weapon-esque story line, but as a mechanic in the hands of the players...

Thank goodness.

RE: NEMP suspension - sindroms - 05-10-2020

Placing them in as an ingame weapon was a huge mistake and I am thoroughly sorry.
Their point was to make repair trade events and generate activity and RP. Later it was thought that it might be cool to let the player themselves pull the trigger, so to speak. Ah well.

RE: NEMP suspension - SnakThree - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 01:31 PM)sindroms Wrote: Placing them in as an ingame weapon was a huge mistake and I am thoroughly sorry.
Their point was to make repair trade events and generate activity and RP. Later it was thought that it might be cool to let the player themselves pull the trigger, so to speak. Ah well.

It was okay as very rare one billion per shot insta-kill weapon, before SciData became abundant and easy to get.