Discovery Gaming Community
Calliope's Ship Logs - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Calliope's Ship Logs (/showthread.php?tid=179880)

Calliope's Ship Logs - Dave Synk - 05-19-2020

Log Entry 1: 827, May 5th
Author: Xander Cromwell

Pfff... been one long day hauling Helium over at Penny. The scenery was filled with independent prospectors, hired contractors just like us, trying to do a living. It was a good season so far. I can say I am thankful that the pirates got more active around the mining interests. No risk no payroll at the end of the day mm?

Had this interesting thing going around a couple of days back. It was this new fresh prospector trying his luck in the field like most of us. We got on our transponder an SOS beacon, quite at the far edge of the mining clouds. That usually sounds like a trap, but at times, there's people in need. Usually the shards can mess up the aft thrusters, making the ship losing a proper gyro balance, and you can drift into oblivion.

The hard part with drifting is that if your thrusters push you too hard, you could get crushed from G force. It causes nausea and faint in the lightest cases, or your head just turns into a sad smooshed up paste. But until you get to wake up if you're lucky, you are out of transponder range and lost for good.

So we analyzed the signal properly because... well let's say it's not our first signal to "bite" it. We weren't loaded up with cargo so The Calliope was rather light and easier to maneuver, plus that Dom is a magical navigator. Got us from the tightest situations that bretonian jackal. We had our regular array of "Flashies" armed and ready just in case.

Luckily for us it was indeed a ship in distress. Apparently the good old thruster problem appeared and they accidentaly rammed their ship on an asteroid. Luckily for them, they only hit the side of it. A young couple. They begged us to help them, for they were really terrified. We got them and we scrapped what we could from the ship so they could at least sell some parts of it to cover a small bit of their loss.

We got them also half a shipment of Helium. We had everything, but they had nothing left. After all, at the end of the day it's about taking care of each other mm? I worked on bigger mining barges with my crew in the Omegas, we know how hard it is to break from corporate control and try your own luck.

Their luck just ended.

Log Ended

RE: Calliope's Ship Logs - Dave Synk - 05-21-2020

Log Entry 2: 827, May 10th
Author: Xander Cromwell

It was about 3 AM last night that I kept being around in the workshop, working on that core manifold. It felt like it was a pretext not to go and bunker down. Sleep doesn't work fine with me lately. The memories of the Omegas still come and go and surely I can see Chloe striving with them in a more visible manner.

Coincidently when I went to the R&R to make myself a coffee, she was there glancing silently at the counter. For a moment I could've heard her weep. I stood there and watched her for some moments, not knowing what to tell her, because I already knew what she've been weeping for. Perhaps the same reason I get the sleepless nights at times. Now it was hers.

"Hard shutting an eye too?" I smirked and told her breaking the silence. She jumped a bit turning back and quickly clearing her eyes a bit.

"Yeah.. you know I'm close to the engine room and sometimes you know.. the humming of the drive knocks my sleep." Despite her eyes being slightly red, she kept her playful smirk and tried to chuckle.

I looked at my empty can and smiled to myself. "And a terrible liar also. Seems you Brets born on lower G can't keep your emotions at the ground for long mm?" I smirked and then looked a bit more serious. "I can't sleep either at times. It keeps coming back. Turbo, Jacko' all the crew back in the Omegas. You know?"

Thing is, some of them from the mining barge we used to work, were smugglers working with the local muscle. Muscle usually sent by either Corsairs, Hessians or others around the systems. What is worse is that the corporate board managing this barge was closing an eye because it had dealings with the pirates and other criminals. Slavery was also a thing. And after all what could you do? Guards were either bought off or were criminal muscle.

How I end up here? Well.. that's a long story for another time, but thing is me and my people were working there. The Calliope came later.

"I see their faces too Xander. They had a dream and a chance but to no avail. They were betrayed they paid so much for that. They made us watch them being spaced Xander. And we couldn't DO ANYTHING!"

I went to hold her. She simply lost it. She was shaking and had a panic attack. I comforted her but.. yeah it was.. well they were our family. I've learned so much from those guys. Sometimes it takes just a bad call to have everything changed in a split second.

Later on I went back to my workshop and worked on that manifold until the morning. I took a nap the next day until we were headed to Kepler to pick up some Dark Matter shielding. We heard it paid well at some Freeport needing protection against an impending dark matter cloud.

Felicia came and injected all of us with a dose of anti-rads as we'd pass through the matter cloud. I was preoccupied all the way up to Kepler with that dark chapter we all been through.

Some things can't change and we can't save everyone. That's what I keep telling myself to keep sane.

Log Ended