Discovery Gaming Community
Faction tags - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Faction tags (/showthread.php?tid=180816)

Pages: 1 2

Faction tags - Hubjump - 06-15-2020

What do we get when we see -}- ? or the other ones like:
(^
<O>
\*/
)V(

These give little to no information about anything no matter where they are at first glance. You are forced to either risk scanning them to get any idea at all or tab out and pray to god you can find it on the forum since you can't exactly search 3 characters let alone two like The Assembly uses. Can we go back to making good abbreviations and one finishing special character? That actually made more sense and could still look cool rather than attempting ASCII art in the chat.

I'm not asking for a rule amendment. I just asking that you consider what peoples first impressions of your tags are going to be + meta information like the server list. I can't tell trader from dreadnought with a tag like that. which arguably is a good thing tbh.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it's just confusing as all the ascii art tags look similar.

RE: Faction tags - Kalhmera - 06-15-2020

(06-15-2020, 08:49 PM)Hubjump Wrote: What do we get when we see -}- ? or the other ones like:
(^
<O>
\*/
)V(

These give little to no information about anything no matter where they are at first glance. You are forced to either risk scanning them to get any idea at all or tab out and pray to god you can find it on the forum since you can't exactly search 3 characters let alone two like The Assembly uses. Can we go back to making good abbreviations and one finishing special character? That actually made more sense and could still look cool rather than attempting ASCII art in the chat.

I'm not asking for a rule amendment. I just asking that you consider what peoples first impressions of your tags are going to be + meta information like the server list. I can't tell trader from dreadnought with a tag like that. which arguably is a good thing tbh.

Interaction is key in this game. Want to find out who they are? Take a risk and go find out! Space is and always will be dangerous.

RE: Faction tags - Hubjump - 06-15-2020

I forgot to mention that it's just confusing as all the ascii art tags look similar. But yes fair comment.

RE: Faction tags - Traxit - 06-15-2020

(06-15-2020, 08:52 PM)Kalhmera Wrote: Interaction is key in this game. Want to find out who they are? Take a risk and go find out! Space is and always will be dangerous.
tbh :|

RE: Faction tags - Groshyr - 06-15-2020

(\^/)
(]o[)
|\/|
Et cetera

RE: Faction tags - Thyrzul - 06-15-2020

When you spot a tag you haven't seen before, knowing where to look can help a lot to find answers. If there's still no info thread for the tag in three days, then it's likely not that important. In case it still is, you'll find out soon enough.

RE: Faction tags - Venkman - 06-15-2020

ASCII tags are cool and good.

RE: Faction tags - Shiki - 06-15-2020

░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄
░▌▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░▌░░░░▄███████▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐░░░░▐███████████▄
░░░░░le░░░░░░░▐░░░░▐█████████████▄
░░░░toucan░░░░░░▀▄░░░▐██████████████▄
░░░░░░has░░░░░░░░▀▄▄████████████████▄
░░░░░arrived░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀██████

I wish this could be a tag of my faction

RE: Faction tags - Alex. - 06-15-2020

I'm up for saying all (official) faction tags should be prefix tags with max 2 (or 3 including a hyphen) special characters and include some reference to the faction's acronym.
Having said that it's probably more trouble than it's worth, so maybe just make it a new official faction creation rule or something.

RE: Faction tags - Grumblesaur - 06-16-2020

This is no different than individual players having names that are non-indicative of their purpose in the game, except that a faction is multiple individuals.

If anything, having a non-obvious tag is a reason for curious players to go investigate.