Discovery Gaming Community
RP value of Xeno Relics - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: RP value of Xeno Relics (/showthread.php?tid=181091)

RP value of Xeno Relics - Corile - 06-21-2020

Three years ago I posted this and I would like to reiterate something regarding Artifacts in game.

Quote:Additionally the lore value of each of those commodities varies wildly. Most "research" commodities (Artifacts, Xeno Relics, Cryo Organisms, Azurite Gas) have zero sustainable lore value because once something has been researched, it's rarely further required, especially when it has no practical value. (Like, Iridium Ore has quite a bit of lore value as there might be many factions who need it to construct new ships for instance. On the contrary, few factions would need a reliable source of mass Xeno Relics for anything.)

Quote:I didn't say that faction commodities are bad, I mentioned that some of them have minimal lore value. What I mean is perhaps best ilustrated by other examples. Commodities such as Stabiline or Cardamine have giant lore value (knowing firsthand from leading Wisp), because you can easily secure trade contracts for them with many factions. This leads to more RP and ultimately more incentive to fly those -- to supply RP efforts of other factions which in turn boosts your diplomacy and activity. In other words, people need them.

On the other hand you have stuff like Xeno Relics. Nobody /needs/ Xeno Relics, they aren't used to build ships or remedy problems of people, they are a luxury commodity. However unlike Artifacts, they cannot exactly be substitutes for stuff like pieces of art or archaeological artifacts (which is what I've been doing with Custodi), as they are mined in space. Thus, there is little explanation why anyone would /need/ them and why would they ever reach a high price in large quantities.

Given the quite significant boost to smuggling Xeno Relics to Gallia we've seen I think it doesn't make RP sense for Xeno Relics to be this valuable. The are, for all intents and purposes, abundant, especially given how much they've been smuggled. Economically their price should drastically tank.

A simplistic way out of this imo would be to bump up the amount of cargo a single Xeno Relic takes up to about 50 and then scale the prices accordingly, but I know that's not exactly a very welcome thing since it screws with FL Comp and other trade route math software.

Something I advocated for a while too would be to give a slightly more reasonable and usable contraband ore for Sairs but I am interested in community opinions on the subject.

RE: RP value of Xeno Relics - Traxit - 06-21-2020

I like to think Xeno Relics are just trinkets that the rich in Gallia like to have, probably for the same reasons Artefacts are still valued on Manhattan after so long.

RE: RP value of Xeno Relics - E X O D I T E - 06-21-2020

Xeno Relics are rare because they are both shiny rocks and a possible insight into shiny alien tech the story dev team is never going to allow for obvious reasons. (read: one faction getting DKV-tier tech = rocks fall, everyone dies)

I did RP around the Xeno Relics being used as a sensor scrambler to protect the inner workings of proprietary blackbox tech once, so they have very special uses beyond "haha shiny rock go ka-ching".