Discovery Gaming Community
Decriminalizing Multiboxing - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Decriminalizing Multiboxing (/showthread.php?tid=181539)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Decriminalizing Multiboxing - E X O D I T E - 07-05-2020

Remember when multiboxing was frowned upon because it would take away someone else's player slot? We don't really have to worry about that anymore. Say what you will, but five completely silent 5kers in formation sounds like a way bigger payday to my piratical self than one silent 5ker, especially considering I can multiply my demand by the amount of multiboxed ships, to make pirating for money a little more viable than it is now.

Multiboxing is only a concern for people worried about precious credits/hr and tracker hours nowadays. Considering how much of a complete joke the economy is, what with the Ores, 4/5 of which absolutely nobody wants to haul because someone "streamlined" Ores to the point where you can just do Gold/Alu forever with even the few competitors it already had forever removed from consideration.

So here's my pitch:

We change
Rules as they are now Wrote:5.5 - Connecting to the server with more than one character at a time (Multiboxing).
to
Multiboxing Rewrite Wrote:5.5 - Connecting to the server with more than one character at a time on a tracked tag (see here for a complete list).

That way, it's "double or nothing" on those silent 5kers, AND it artificially inflates the server's population outside of events. And don't even get me started on missions. Having a hauler with you earns "you" only 1,6 x credits/sec having two ships out, which from my incredibly shaky math, drops profitability down by enough for it to be not worth it (especially at higher-level mission running where if you're not going back for repairs, you're going to die, no questions asked, negating the profit factor of having the hauler fly home to take missions for you).

Pros:
More things to shoot

Cons:
Not everyone has a computer capable of multiboxing/multiple computers capable of running FL

Feedback?

RE: Decriminalizing Multiboxing - Kalhmera - 07-05-2020

Hard pass for me. Multi Boxing is a cheap way to earn more credits and the interaction you get while dealing with a multi boxer is trash.

RE: Decriminalizing Multiboxing - E X O D I T E - 07-05-2020

(07-05-2020, 01:39 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: Hard pass for me. Multi Boxing is a cheap way to earn more credits and the interaction you get while dealing with a multi boxer is trash.

Players who are multiboxing are unaware of/not caring about the rules anyway, so they'd probably not care about RP or interactions that much to begin with. But if it was a solo 5ker giving you that "trash" interaction, you and your love of lengthy RP would probably feel roughly the same about that player/shippie anyway, minus the whole "breaking rules" part.

RE: Decriminalizing Multiboxing - Binski - 07-05-2020

Well it could be limited to be reasonable still. It is true though that 1 person hauling a couple or a few transports in formation might not be so bad (mules). They can only do so much piloting/fighting at a time.

A con would be people would do less runs, but when they do trade there's more at risk.

Also it would make base supply by one person much easier, but if limited to 2 ships per person it might not be so bad.

My reason for supporting it was carriers and docking modules. I'd like to be able to use a snub/freighter and carrier together (probably on a separate computer altogether). You could use the carrier as a slow temp base, and launch from it on your smaller ship to do supply runs or mining. The Bustard comes in mind.

So in groups one person could host a carrier but also fly a smaller ship while just watching the carrier. If it gets attacked you'd just have to choose where to put your attention.

At the very least you could throw a DM on an Adv Train and mine for yourself.

RE: Decriminalizing Multiboxing - Shokanshi - 07-05-2020

Changing the rules to support less RP wouldn't help the server, we already have groups of people who don't wish to talk and instead just mine and do missions all day every day, don't need them to have five accounts doing it too.

RE: Decriminalizing Multiboxing - E X O D I T E - 07-05-2020

(07-05-2020, 01:57 AM)Shokanshi Wrote: Changing the rules to support less RP wouldn't help the server, we already have groups of people who don't wish to talk and instead just mine and do missions all day every day, don't need them to have five accounts doing it too.

So your problem is that people play Disco as a 3D space shooter and disregard the RP aspects of it. This is a pvp server, if you don't like how someone acts, you have guns. Use your guns. Right click them.

(lol, 3/5 mission farming sessions I've partaken in were interrupted by people coming in to RP with their guns, I'd RP a bit, but the other guys logged for pvp, not for words, so as a general rule, it's more polite of me to indulge them in their desire for combat than it is for me to pontificate at them)

RE: Decriminalizing Multiboxing - Paddy. - 07-05-2020

Saw this post from 2012. Are the exceptions still current?

Rule 5.5 - Connecting to the server with more than one character at a time (Multiboxing).

What is exactly considered as Multiboxing ?
Multiboxing, simply put, is the process of having two or more ships logged at the same time on the server, piloted by the same player. Multiboxing is not tolerated, however there are a few exceptions for practical reasons that are allowed.

Exceptions where Multiboxing is allowed
- Transferring equipment (Armor Upgrade, Guns, Shields)
- Transferring ore from your miner to your transport (You are NOT allowed to mine and trade at the same time. This only allow you to transfer your ore from your miner to your trader when the exchange is ready to take place, but once your trader has received the ores, you have to disconnect your miner or your trader, your choice.)

RE: Decriminalizing Multiboxing - Username removed - 07-05-2020

My only argument against it is how easy it would be to abuse by the traders to avoid piracy altogether, think about it.

Instead of another hauler, they could be multiboxing a scout ship, they would send it ahead of the transport, and if they spot you waiting at the lane, they would let you have your way with the scout ship while they're moving the transport away from your scanner range. What then?

RE: Decriminalizing Multiboxing - Paddy. - 07-05-2020

(07-05-2020, 04:29 AM)Ivan Norovich Wrote: My only argument against it is how easy it would be to abuse by the traders to avoid piracy altogether, think about it.

Your comment also makes me wonder if it is necessary to change.

It could also mean siege ships can be run the same way... I suspect it could well have already been done! (One player shooting a PoB with two capital ships would be far easier to do than flying two bulk cargo ships simultaneously through trade-lanes etc.).

RE: Decriminalizing Multiboxing - Save My Soul - 07-05-2020

I don't really want to repeat myself, but I don't want to write the same thing again. Because my opinion hasn't changed much. So-o... Yah.

(11-22-2019, 10:19 AM)Save My Soul Wrote: Allowing multiboxing will definitely increase online on the server. This, in turn, is likely to lead to an increase in the number of newcomers, since usually people are more likely to spend their time in a game that looks lively and populated by other people – potential subjects of cooperation or rivalry. Yah, this online will be a lie (by half, huh), but it will be a white lie, for sure. In these difficult times for DFL, this may well be a good way, eh?

And it would be doubly great if the restriction of clients was made. Two for one user, for example. As is done in many other games. But I don't know how possible is it for DFL.