Discovery Gaming Community
assault dreadnought - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: assault dreadnought (/showthread.php?tid=18160)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

assault dreadnought - Jinx - 03-21-2009

[Image: assaultDN1.png]
[Image: assaultDN2.png]
this is now the finished version of the assault dreadnought. - i have not dyed the skin down to the orderish bronze yet.

suggestion would be to serve as a special-occasions ship ( so that we don t really need much balancing ) - the ship is done and currently features:

- 1 hardpoint for a liberty cruiser forward gun ( needless to say where )
- 14 turret hardpoints with 40% forward facing, 60% backwards facing

the whole ship looks heavy and quite slow. - it is much wider than it appears at first. i also used smaller window slits t han the usual windows - so it appears to be more a tank with only few glowing window dots.

gonne fix issues that come up when i test it - then i ll offer it up on the dev forum, maybe we find a place for it, maybe not - its of less than tertiary importance at that time.

edit: could also make that a future corsair osiris version - but for that.. i daresay, i d dismount the big gun =)

assault dreadnought - teschy - 03-21-2009

Well.. if you're calling it an 'Assault Dreadnought', shouldn't it have some more offensive power ? I mean, only 40 % forward fire and 60% backwards ? Not exactly that offensive, even with that forward cannon - with the reduced mobility, you wouldn't hit jack with it. I'd rather go with a 80 % forward and the rest backwards.

Now, I realize this is an unique vessel that's not gonna be available for all, but I felt that I had to make these remarks. Otherwise, call it a 'Defense Dreadnought', because right now, that's what it is, judging from your post.

ahh- you know military names... you won t call a vehicle "run-away-tank" ... but its assault, cause it has this huge front - gun attached.

stats of the cruiser front gun

180.000/90.000 damage
700.000 energy usage
900 speed
0.25 refire

usually those guns are very effective with a cruiser powerplant... a battleship, even a light one could chainfire those every 4 seconds. of course - a cruiser turns a lot faster than a battleship - so aiming wouldn t work against anything short another battleship. ( but all that is just theory, we don t have any battleships with front guns. )

assault dreadnought - Har3 - 03-21-2009

Vey sexy indeed, i like it very much. So are BH going to get something heavy as this fella here?

assault dreadnought - Eternal - 03-21-2009

A superb model , I like it a lot.

However I have some concerns.

The Order , like I'm sure you know , is not an organisation that would invest in a ship that is designed for only one purpose alone , in this case taking care of other capital ships. The ship you proposed is something that will not handle the "habitat" The Order uses - Asteroids / Dense , systems with limited visual range ( you can't see a far when you are in them ) The ship will actually be quite useless for the Order at the moment. A large ship wich they need to guard and use to engage other capital ships only. It will , in no way , be energy efficient nor cost efficient , hard to produce , hard to fly and useless if not protected. The ship will also be undeployable in systems , different then Minor or 100.

Problem with specialized ships , is that they are good for one thing and not needed in most other circumstances. Meaning that , either this ship will be used as a RP platform , rarely seen and rarely needed - Not something I'd like to see for this excellent model.

What I suggest / propose is that this ship fills the much needed , true Battlecruiser slot for the Order. Something that would be smaller , easier to deploy , easier to maintain and most importantly , serve different roles for the Order. Being able to assist Carriers against battleships or the Osiris against multiple hostiles.

Eternal

assault dreadnought - Heartless - 03-21-2009

mine:)

I guess the idea of a superweapon ship went out the window, I sorta liked the idea.

Question, how good is the cruiser gun compared to a heavy mortar?

Also, there is no reason why this, or anything like it would go to the corsairs. They can make their own independant stuff, they have the tech and the resources to do so.

Also, you could say the Order needs this cause we are facing a war on 3 fronts, bounty hunters, liberty, and nomads, so they don't need a counterpart.
The Order is a small, secret organization, and to have a super-weapon "type" ship would make sence.

and it's still mine:)

' Wrote:mine:)

I guess the idea of a superweapon ship went out the window, I sorta liked the idea.

Question, how good is the cruiser gun compared to a heavy mortar?

Also, there is no reason why this, or anything like it would go to the corsairs. They can make their own independant stuff, they have the tech and the resources to do so.

Also, you could say the Order needs this cause we are facing a war on 3 fronts, bounty hunters, liberty, and nomads, so they don't need a counterpart.
The Order is a small, secret organization, and to have a super-weapon "type" ship would make sence.

and it's still mine:)

Yes , Swiss , I understand , but try to look beyond the first epic impression of you flying that ship and start worrying about the actual role it needs to fill. There is no need for a large , one purpose only ship. Aldo I don't question the fact that we could afford to build it and fly it , the Osiris is still the better option of the two ships. It can take both capital ship and small fighters , it removes the need for a large ship , heavily armored , able to take down other capitals. Exchanging maneuverability for more firepower is something I'd expect from Liberty / Rheinland , not the Order.

It would still be the same ship (looks) but it would actually be very usefull by filling the role of a Battlecruiser that we need , not trying to be something that we can already do , by doing it a bit better.

Eternal

a cruiser forward gun on a battleships ( powerplant ) is a superior weapon. - these guns are balaned towards a cruiser powerplant that is like 1.800.000 or so. - a battleship would have at least 7.000.000 ...

such a gun can be chainfired - but its not SUCH a tough weapon, compared to lets say - 18 turrets firing forward.. - it can also only be used vs. very large and very slow enemies - cause it fired straight without any arc.

but its mostly for the looks and the feeling. - the weaponpod below fires a HUGE "diamondback-like" projectile that just looks amazing.

i have just completely finished it ( arch, goods, hardpoints etc. )

gonne upload it to the dev section, if we can - we can get it in on an admin base or something

right now, i gave it :

- 14 turrets 6 firing rear only, 6 forward and partly sideways, 2 firing downwards
- 1 lvl10 gunmount
- 1 external shieldpod
- 1 vertically firing CM

by the feeling - i gave it 1.300.000 armour at a size 15% longer and 35% wider than the osiris
agility of a zoner juggernaut ( worst )

that way - its fairly OK, when its doing the osiris running tactic - but worse cause it cannot strafe like that and is overall larger and less agile ( but it still has 8 turrets firing rearwards

Ah! So ... am ... did I misunderstood everything here ? If this ship is "admin given only" and has the "one/two of a kind" feeling to it - Then yes , by all means it would be a nice addition to the Order.

assault dreadnought - Heartless - 03-21-2009

yes. It sorta spawned from the "flagship" idea. Admin handed out, very very very few, not available to the public. Or that was the point.

As for the lvl 10 gunmount. All other 13 are cruiser turret slots and this one is the only BS slot? Well, technically speaking. Cause then a mortar or heavy mortar could be mounted which would make the cruiser forward gun have sort of an odd job... does that make sence or am I speaking nonsence?