Discovery Gaming Community
To: Natio Octavarium - Sender: Gen'an Chrysanthemums - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Communication Channel (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: To: Natio Octavarium - Sender: Gen'an Chrysanthemums (/showthread.php?tid=181628)

To: Natio Octavarium - Sender: Gen'an Chrysanthemums - Megaera - 07-07-2020

ID: Matriarch Kiri
Encryption: Golden Lotus
Recipient: Natio Octavarium, Asano Aiko
CC: Noce
Subject: Internal Biodome Upgrade

Greetings Natio Octavarium,

I wish to call upon your expertise once again. I added Miss Asano in the recipient list. She is talented engineer and she will oversee the project for the GC.

We are looking to expand the effectiveness of our internal biodome. I don't know if you have visited the Shrine last time you visited Kinkaku-ji, but the central Shrine area is contained within a medium size biodome.
We want to increase its oxygen production to supply the entire station. This could possibly be done with strains of high oxygen producing plantlife.
Secondly, It needs a better water filtration system so we won't have to keep supplying the station with fresh water. It should form a closed recycling circuit.
And last. I would like some modified crops that would be able to grow on space stations to cover the food needs of the crew. history taught me that food convoys are easily intercepted when the navy increases its presence in the system.

If you are up to the task let me know.

Matriarch Kiri

RE: To: Natio Octavarium - Sender: Gen'an Chrysanthemums - Drake Averos - 07-07-2020

ID: Asano Aiko
Recipient: Matriarch Kiri
CC:

Konbanwa Matriarch-sama,

I caught wind of such thoughts a while back, and started sketching out plans for such things. Obviously I won't know about specifics until we get the information on what plants are best, and what kind of requirements they might need. Once our esteemed allies get back to us with what kind of water flow, and oxygen production we can expect to need, or to have, I can lay out a more concrete set of plans for the biodome as a whole. However I've taken the liberty of beginning to gather extra piping and plating, as both would be needed for any such project!

Sayonara!

Engineer
Asano Aiko

RE: To: Natio Octavarium - Sender: Gen'an Chrysanthemums - Kazinsal - 07-10-2020

[ Incoming Transmission ]

[Image: Kane-NO-Adjutant.png]

Identification: Taskmaster-Adjutant Harold Kane
Affiliation: Natio Octavarium

To: Gen'an Chrysanthemums

Subject: RE: Internal Biodome Upgrade
Encryption: Synth Can't Know We're On To Them

Matriarch Kiri,

Always a pleasure to hear from the Gen'an. I've recently spent some time with Canberra Star City's ecological engineering department, the team responsible for the station's closed ecological life support systems. I believe I can describe to you what their system is like, and how it can be adapted to Kinkaku-ji.

To start, the system does not require biodomes, which is both not exactly what you were asking for and something of a blessing for your station, as it means your existing food production biodomes can be repurposed for recreational purposes if you so wish. The core of the system is the algae bioreactor complex, which breeds chemical- and carbon-scrubbing algae for the air and water filtration systems. Near-perfect efficiency can be achieved with a combination of the algae filtration and standard shipborne air particle filters. Carbon removed through the air scrubbers can be used in another bioreactor to produce new activated carbon filters for the water treatment system. Between the two of these, your oxygen and water losses will be negligible.

Food is a bit trickier, but efficient hydroponics and, you guessed it, algae bioreactors are the combination of systems that resolve your problem. For the core of your foodstuffs, we have something that is effectively algae tofu; it is not particularly flavourful on its own, but it is high in protein, fibres, and incidental nutrients, and is capable of taking on and matching the flavour of whatever it is cooked with. Some of our culinary team believes that what we have come up with is more or less Synth Paste, just more rigid and capable of being used to relatively faithfully emulate solid foods.

Bootleg Not-Synth Tofu is of course rather boring, and not suitable for long-term use on its own, so we use a few dozen hydroponics centres with thorough use of vertical stacking to ensure maximum space utilization and automatic climate control in tuned to the specific crop being grown in each hydroponics centre. A series of calcium nitrate rich liquid fertilizers are dispensed at different levels for different crops automatically depending on what stage of growth they're in, maximizing crop output and decreasing the length of growth cycles versus manual hydroponics work. It's an effective way to grow all sorts of fruits, vegetables, and lighter grains to improve your dishes.

Traditional biodomes are only effective for growth in two dimensions, but we are in space. We can put crops, filtration systems, and water reclamation in all three. I'm sending over some examples of fresh foodstuffs from Canberra's ecological systems for you to sample and have your cooks experiment with. If the produce is sufficient for your needs, we can get some folks from the ecological engineering team over to survey possible locations in the station to install bioreactor complexes and hydroponics centres.

And if for some reason you miss the texture of Synth Paste, I'm pretty sure that a blended mix of three parts of our algae tofu to one part water is damn near the exact same thing.

Warmest regards,
Taskmaster-Adjutant Harold Kane
Natio Octavarium

[ Transmission Ended ]

RE: To: Natio Octavarium - Sender: Gen'an Chrysanthemums - Megaera - 07-10-2020

ID: Matriarch Kiri
Recipient: Natio Octavarium, Asano Aiko

Mister Kane,

Thank you for replying. The algae bioreactor seems an ideal solution to the selfsustenance of Kinkaku-ji. However, I am not a biologist so you would have to point out the strains of algea which are effective to be used in this system. Our engineers can construct the hardware to support it, but we would need assistence with the biochemical properties.

The secondary bioreactor which produces the carbon filters is something that never even crossed my mind before. Aika likely knows the workings of this better than I do. I will give her the resources to work on both of these reactors. What would be the cost to construct this algae bioreactor complex? I assume the scale of this requires alot of space?

This algae tofu... I guess it is worth a try. We Kusarians are used to seaweed in our food. In the worst case we create a whole new style of sushi. I assume there are no adverse effects on health? We will have to experiment with whatever food can grow in these hydroponics centers and find a some Sisters who know anything about farming in water.

Your team always has clearance to dock on Kinkaku-ji. As do all Natio vessels.

Matriarch Kiri

RE: To: Natio Octavarium - Sender: Gen'an Chrysanthemums - Kazinsal - 07-15-2020

[ Incoming Transmission ]

[Image: Kane-NO-Adjutant.png]

Identification: Taskmaster-Adjutant Harold Kane
Affiliation: Natio Octavarium

To: Gen'an Chrysanthemums

Subject: RE: Internal Biodome Upgrade
Encryption: Firm

Matriarch Kiri,

Our bioengineering teams use a few different species of algae to accomplish the goals of the CELSS. They will be able to seed the system appropriately in conjunction with your engineers while the system is being built. The complete bioreactor complex shouldn't be terribly expensive to build, but we estimate that a full food, oxygen, and water support system for one person averages out to about four cubic metres of space. The hydroponics system takes some time to start from scratch but we can produce some clones of our existing fruits and vegetables and you'll have your own year-round continuous harvests of fresh produce within a month.

Most hydroponic plants take up a similar amount of space as they would in the ground, but with slightly denser horizontal packing and the advantage of being able to be vertically stacked. Once the system is live and producing food, you can easily expand it by cloning off your existing plants. If you can grow it in the ground, you can likely grow it just as well if not better in water, as you can tailor the nutrient formula to the exact plant. The tomatoes we've been growing are a good bit larger and juicier than imported ones, and they seem to grow faster as well.

The algae tofu tastes similar to soy tofu, but slightly more kelp-y. If you wanted really cheap staple food, well... there's always yeast. I would highly recommend that if you plan on building a yeast farm, you keep it somewhere isolated and far away from everything else. It's effective, extremely inexpensive protein, but gods and monsters does it ever make for a section of a station that smells like a brewery. As for the health effects, our staple foods are all grown on Canberra and have been since not long after its founding. We all seem to be in pretty good shape. Most of our imported foods are, erm, "liberated" from the cargo holds of Samura transports passing through the Barrier, so I suspect that you and your people will get on just fine with such a similar complete diet.

Warmest regards,
Taskmaster-Adjutant Harold Kane
Natio Octavarium

[ Transmission Ended ]

To: Natio Octavarium - Sender: Gen'an Chrysanthemums - Drake Averos - 07-24-2020

ID: Asano Aika
Recipient: Natio Octavarium, Matriarch Kiri

Matriarch Kiri , Mister Kane,

Konbanwa!

I've been working on a layout, and designs for the filtration systems and the hydroponics units themselves. I've used pre-existing designs I found and modified them to suit our needs, and increase efficiency in the filtration and flow systems, as well as the nutrient delivery systems. I would love to get together with some of the Natio tech teams, and see how big a system your folks believe we could fit on Kinkaku-ji.

Naturally, any of the system modifications or upgrade designs I have would be, with the Matriarchs permission, shared, to help make this project good for both of us! I've already been given teams to start the basic construction, and installation of the less advanced sections. Of course, I look forward to working with your folks on the Bioreactors! They sound fascinating!

It would be a delight to spend some time with your techs, and swap designs! I've been working on plans for the parts I already understand since the Matriarch asked me to look into it, and have made pretty good head way into it, aside from your reactors and genetics knowledge of course!

I cant wait to see what your folks think of the plans!

*she grumbles softly* Hopefully they don't laugh too hard...

Anyway!

Sayonara for now, and arigatō for the chance to work with your folks!

Engineer
Asano Aika