Discovery Gaming Community
Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Tutorials & Tools (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color (/showthread.php?tid=182354)

Pages: 1 2

Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Alley - 08-01-2020

If you are colorblind or experiencing issues to keep track of the red aim crosshair, Discovery offers native support to shift the colors of the targeting system to your liking.
This includes:
  • Crosshair color
  • Space object selection outline color
  • Target list space object color

In order to use this feature, there are four optional arguments you may enter in the launcher to override each of the four colors with a hexadecimal color code of your choice.
  • -color-red=000000
  • -color-white=000000
  • -color-green=000000
  • -color-pink=000000

If you were to replicate the setup shown in the above screenshots, with red replaced by cyan and white replaced by orange, the arguments would be the following: "-color-white=ff9900 -color-red=00cc99".

Each argument will override one color code. The color change is applied on the color itself and is not based on the target's affinity. For instance, in the first image you can see I shifted the red color to a cyan color. In the second screenshot, I shifted the white color to orange, but as you can see the health bar and crosshair remain cyan as they are controlled by the red color. So keep that in mind!

This feature is toggleable ingame and is not on by default. You can activate and deactivate it at will using the "Toggle HUD Color" keybinding.
Enjoy the rainbow!

RE: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Kalhmera - 08-02-2020

I like this! not color blind but I appreciate the small change this can bring to the game.

RE: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Biggles - 08-02-2020

Seconded, not colour blind but those screenshots genuinely look gorgeous. I had no idea this was a command line argument away. Thanks for the guide.

RE: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Karlotta - 08-02-2020

(08-02-2020, 02:31 PM)Jaypate Wrote: I wonder, can you change the colour of the game's UI as a whole if you want to?

I've seen it in other mods.

Would be cool if there were buttons on the launcher that activate or deactivate those mods or edit the relevant files.

For hud color, crosh hair size, and whatever else works.

There are image files that contain the "user interface" stuff like light blue borders, dark blue background nav map background, etc. Those images can be replaced by others.

EDIT: Btw, are you Jaydenbee, the art dev who refused to let me improve the user interface by labeling the Help System in the sector map? Well, if you are him and you had bothered to let others contribute, you'd know how what you asked for is possible by now.

RE: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Jaypate - 08-02-2020

(08-02-2020, 02:41 PM)Karlotta Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 02:31 PM)Jaypate Wrote: I wonder, can you change the colour of the game's UI as a whole if you want to?

I've seen it in other mods.

Would be cool if there were buttons on the launcher that activate or deactivate those mods or edit the relevant files.

For hud color, crosh hair size, and whatever else works.

There are image files that contain the "user interface" stuff like light blue borders, dark blue background nav map background, etc. Those images can be replaced by others.

EDIT: Btw, are you Jaydenbee, the art dev who refused to let me improve the user interface by labeling the Help System in the sector map? Well, if you are him and you had bothered to let others contribute, you'd know how what you asked for is possible by now.

Jayenbee is a Story dev, I'm an Art dev, and I've had fuck all to do with UI, so find someone else to be passive aggressive to.

p.s: thanks for the info on the UI however.

RE: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Karlotta - 08-02-2020

There are a bunch of folders in this one:

Discovery Freelancer 4.91.0\DATA\INTERFACE\NEURONET

For example in

Discovery Freelancer 4.91.0\DATA\INTERFACE\NEURONET\NAVMAP\NEWNAVMAP

there is a file called nav_prettymap_4x2.3db which contains the sector map background image(s) , others contain things like icons, borders, blue backgrounds.

In order to edit the image, you need to first export it into a .tga file using a utf editor like utf_edit_v13. It's possible that different parts of the UI use other formats, I didn't try all the elements.

I used the programs "gimp" and "paint.net" to edit the image, but only paint.net seems to be able to save them in the required uncompressed 24 bit format. If you save in a slightly different format, the game crashes when you open the navmap window. You should check that the original and edited file sizes are identical.

Here are examples of what you can do with that:

[Image: EfNqY2d.png]

to make the already existing Help System easier to spot and look like a real menu, or

[Image: KhhLdDA.png]

if things like House Laws, Lore, and Rules were to be made available to players ingame in a similar way.

Implementing the first example just requires my edited nav_prettymap_4x2.3db to be copied into that folder, and its done.

I sent this information and the .3db file to Jammi 2 months ago, after he suggested this be done, and he claimed to have forwarded it to the Art Department.

In the following 2 months neither was this implemented in the 2 mod updates that happened, despite requiring 0 more dev work, nor did I hear back from them, despite also posting it in the Discovery Working group discord upon Markam's suggestion, and pinging department heads about it there 3 times.

So yeah, either Jammi is lying and the art department just doesn't communicate, or someone in the Art Department is choosing to bury and ignore contributions for reasons that one is left to imagine.

RE: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Squad - 08-02-2020

Please keep it constructive.

RE: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - _WOLF_ - 04-20-2024

(08-01-2020, 11:37 PM)Alley Wrote:

If you are colorblind or experiencing issues to keep track of the red aim crosshair, Discovery offers native support to shift the colors of the targeting system to your liking.
This includes:
  • Crosshair color
  • Space object selection outline color
  • Target list space object color

In order to use this feature, there are four optional arguments you may enter in the launcher to override each of the four colors with a hexadecimal color code of your choice.
  • -color-red=000000
  • -color-white=000000
  • -color-green=000000
  • -color-pink=000000

If you were to replicate the setup shown in the above screenshots, with red replaced by cyan and white replaced by orange, the arguments would be the following: "-color-white=ff9900 -color-red=00cc99".

Each argument will override one color code. The color change is applied on the color itself and is not based on the target's affinity. For instance, in the first image you can see I shifted the red color to a cyan color. In the second screenshot, I shifted the white color to orange, but as you can see the health bar and crosshair remain cyan as they are controlled by the red color. So keep that in mind!

This feature is toggleable ingame and is not on by default. You can activate and deactivate it at will using the "Toggle HUD Color" keybinding.
Enjoy the rainbow!

Could you describe in more detail how to do this: which folders to enter, files and where to change what?

RE: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Elvinos2003 - 04-20-2024

It is written, it’s in the launcher.

RE: Colorblind? Here's how to change your crosshair color - Toaster - 04-20-2024

[Image: VFVekRT.png]

Enter the color arguments like that and replace the 000000 with the hexcode of the color you desire.