Discovery Gaming Community
Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? (/showthread.php?tid=182631)

Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - Groshyr - 08-13-2020

Usually, when I do read large posts I have a feeling like the character(s) represented in the said piece of text are slowpokes because between two words they may commit a crusade to middle-east and make a coffee.

However, I wonder what do you think and what posts size you prefer to read and write.

RE: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - Traxit - 08-13-2020

It's mostly about formatting, and keeping paragraphs short so they're easier to digest and summarize while at the same time not look too overwhelming.

RE: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - t0l - 08-13-2020

i dont even read what my roleplay partner types 90% of the time i just write whatever i want and go from there

RE: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - Galaxian - 08-13-2020

I try to keep it interesting but not get too long winded per paragraph.
I disregard an RP partners writing style and choose to pay attention to what they say/do versus what it looks like/reads like.

I do prefer concise paragraphs as opposed to a text wall, however.

RE: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - Charo - 08-13-2020

I get straight to the point because we're here to have fun and play a game not read a dissertation

and that totally isn't my excuse for not being able to write paragraphs

RE: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - Mick - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 06:21 PM)Charo Wrote: I get straight to the point because we're here to have fun and play a game not read a dissertation

and that totally isn't my excuse for not being able to write paragraphs

Ditto!!

RE: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - Typrop - 08-13-2020

if i can make a sandwich in the time it takes to read your post, come back, read the first and last sentences, and achieve the same understanding as if i just read your whole post, you've failed spectacularly on at least two levels

there is nothing objectively wrong with a long post, the problem present is that people in disco have a tendency to bloviate and create large stretches of utterly vacuous text in order to achieve a long post, because of a running conflation in many writing circles that length = quality, something that can be evidenced by the growing length of what is considered a "novel" since their inception

write only as much as it takes to effectively convey what you are trying to convey, nothing more and nothing less

RE: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - Groshyr - 08-13-2020

Hm, I now wonder am I the person like you mentioned

RE: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective? - Typrop - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 06:42 PM)Groshyr Wrote: Hm, I now wonder am I the person like you mentioned

not really, it's actually frequently native english speakers that are guilty of this