Discovery Gaming Community
FL2 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: FL2 (/showthread.php?tid=1841)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

FL2 - Vo - 11-01-2006

Ok, so I was thinking while doing working on Titan mod, I should make a Freelancer 2

So I was thinking while playing FrontLines ( A mmofps) I should make FrontLines 2!

And then it hit me, why not combine the two?

I know it will be a strenuous task, creating a new engine, ships, armor, weapons, and then planets to boot. But if SOE can do it, why the H*ll can't I? For those of you that played SWG, I have a hope that this game will turn out a lot like that, with the roles of ground and space reversed.

On the topic of Openlancer, I know that I will be getting a lot of comments on it, It is more of a Freelancer 2 than Frontlines 2 will be, but, I hope to get past just trade lanes , and docking rings. Now it certainly wont be a MMOFPS or a MMOSPSS, but I would like the environment to be almost as flowing as one, less loading screens, and more streamlined game play. Planet diving will no longer kill you, but give eather a low orbit/ drop pod type landing, or a smooth decent into gravity, where you can then pilot your fighter.

I will need some help, and ideas, hopefully you all will be able to help me.

I need some coders, and a good game engine. ( It is complicated, I know)
Ship, and planet/city models, as well as every other graphic thing in the game.
Character Class creator. (CCC, I'm currently messing with this)
and lots of other misc. stuff.

Thanks for the time, and I hope we can all pull together to get this done. :)

FL2 - Lt.Cmdr.Olsav - 11-01-2006

im willing to work on this as a coder.

of engine use, i think we need to refine our goals before we decide on one.
though personally the engine used by oblivion could be slightly modified to accomplish what oyu are speaking of. I put it forward due to the ease of use in the construction set, along with it having decent physics and graphic.

FL2 - Vic - 11-01-2006

Try and get your hands on the Eve files... Then just rebuild that game from the bottom up and change the skill system around.
Cuts out about half the systems (2,500)

As for what you want to make, SOE could do it because they have a team being paid an asston to do this. I would help but I cannot code. However I am a think tank and great with stats / balancing things out.*

FL2 - Vo - 11-01-2006

Yes, But SOE flat out sucks.

EVE, I have it on my computer... I Hate the moving scheme though, click to go, and battling isn't so easy eather.

FL2 - Vic - 11-02-2006

Vo,Nov 1 2006, 05:09 PM Wrote:Yes, But SOE flat out sucks.

EVE, I have it on my computer... I Hate the moving scheme though, click to go, and battling isn't so easy eather.
[snapback]42894[/snapback]

Exactly, once you get into the higher end stuff you have to calculate your ammo/gun ratios (Yes) For trajectory and fall off.

EX:

As an interceptor I can punch out 11,000-ms+ which makes it almost impossible for larger gun mounts to hit me, also the smaller guns need a faster longer range ammo and need to fire closer range to me. Because the longer the range the faster it fires at a close range. Otherwise I can't be hit what with me +40% Agilty on top of 11,000 speed and my null sig implants and skills. And drones can't hit me because even though they have the highest speeds in the game they can't catch to orbit me.

Of course when I fire off my micro-warp-drive my shield goes down and I have very little armour as it is anything above a dessie which is pretty much everything can one hit me assuming they hit me. And I need to have ammo and guns with high trajectory and tacking speeds or I will never fire and if I do my shots may just toss them self off target from my high speeds.

Click to move I can deal with because Orbit @ xx range and Keep at range xx make up for it on top of the extensive battle system that takes play later on.*

FL2 - Vo - 11-02-2006

I suppose, that makes sense, i'll see what I can figure out with eve.

FL2 - Vic - 11-02-2006

You will lose the FPS though, and it will be a more or less jerry rigged Eve.

However we could make it a Pre-Eve EVE universe before all the outter systems were found just some of them and make it so the nations are at war. This will bring on not only Corporate wars but faction wars and universal total war.

As for the skills system which is by far long as ****. I'm sure you can change the base times to something lower, although I'm rather happy with the fact it takes over a year to get the Titan skill trained and another 6 months to GET the damned boat. However lower skills should not be so long, but keeping the T2 skills at 10 days (Level V)

This way you wont deter the casual player AND keep the hardcore people at bay, stopping everyone from getting the Titan. All you would have to do is make skills faster to get then increase the priceses to compensate for this.

This would make for a great server with some other tweaks only downside is that this is useless unless you can get about... 10K people on at a time or at least 5k...*

FL2 - Vo - 11-02-2006

Lets keep in perspective this is a sequel to freelancer, not EVE, although the two can be connected.

and who says I would lose the FPS? It just wont be a smooth transition from planetside to space.

The FPS engine is a knock off of the game planetside till I have time to make another one. I have planetside on my computer here and it is quite interesting how dumb SOE really is. They have room for so much MORE on that thing, but they limit it. I just read a couple lines of "customize my vehicle" or "make a weapon" type stuff. O_O;

The graphics in EVE are amazing, compared to a game such as planetside or freelancer, but after all, planetside is the FIRST mmofps. The engine of planetside, however, is able to co-exist with the engine of freelancer, and you get one h*ll of a jacked up game, however, EVE, I'm not sure about, haven't tried it because I can't get a server up for it.

FL2 - Vic - 11-02-2006

Vo,Nov 1 2006, 08:59 PM Wrote:Lets keep in perspective this is a sequel to freelancer, not EVE, although the two can be connected.

t after all, planetside is the FIRST mmofps.
[snapback]42920[/snapback]

Like I have previously stated I am a great think tank. And contrary to what people would say I work better with whiskey which I have had about a bottle and a half of before making this post.

The graphics of EVE are simply stunning however I was not aiming at making a EVE 2 or anything. You see I can run EVE with a better graphics engine 2048x1536 which is my computers natural resolution with no problems with my computer. Actually I ran Freelancer EVE Photoshop all at once...

Well to the point...

IT would be better to base off of an already built system which we can SEE works versus making a new one which for one person can take ages. My biggest issue with Freelancer is size and 'truth'; simply put a battleship such as the Zoner Juggernaut should not be able to dock... At all... With anything. IT should be bigger then any base and be it's own base.

The Titan being the biggest you can do is a base on it's own for your corporation. The player whom is the Titan ship can have other corporate members dock, store items, and also have a base in your ship... Not to mention when you use the jump drive they can go with you.

All the ships, well everything overall is based off of a more 'realistic' point of view. Mass, size, gravity all of it is done right. That's why I choose the EVE system.

All one would have to do then is remap the Universe (Playing God says I) from the ground up, set up warring factions so players are natraully hostile to other players bringing in racial war and civil wars (corporations between the same faction fighting) This would make everything more diverse.

Change the skill system to a point system wheres you will get so many points over so much time you then invest those points in a skill or use them to learn a new one.

You can use the same ships as provided in the EVE universe and then add some more 'elite' ships much like the ORE ships which are of no faction what-so-ever.

Well just browned myself in the other half bottle whilst typing this out and I'm going to hit the sheets feeling rather well. I was on a Dev team for kRO so don't et my words go unwarranted.

The only super hard part would be to remake a universe and slowly implement it in so players will always have something to do but not to much to do. And really you could jusr recycle the systems with new names...

Just the server itself would be something to run as the market is an SQL based table and then game is it's own system...*

FL2 - Qunitinius~Verginix - 11-02-2006

This sounds fun, I was was any good at all with coding and design and stuff i would pitch in, but im really lacking that feild of expetise....