Discovery Gaming Community
Hey, Guys. It's me. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Hey, Guys. It's me. (/showthread.php?tid=184162)

Pages: 1 2

Hey, Guys. It's me. - Zoronodonovon - 10-24-2020

Hello everybody.

I am entirely certain no one here actually remembers me from roundabout 7 Years ago.

Let me give you a small overview.

I started playing Freelancer back when I was just a wee little boy, and started Disco late in my School Life, it has helped me immensely back then with both depression and other unrelated things.
Having made Friendships that still hold today and everything has been an experience in and of itself and back then when I joined CR-| and eventually got up to Squadleader, I loved it but slowly fell out of the whole Disco deal and stopped playing.

Fast forward a few years to about 2-3 weeks ago, saw a Video of Disco, started playing again and have been having the greatest of times with additions like the bounty system on NPC's and the returning player bonus that really helped me out.

But quite quickly I came to realize that something on Disco was wrong, far worse in scope then it was years ago when I was actually a very active part of CR-|

Ofcourse, back then everyone had their Idea of how stuff should work, but right now, especially after talking to Saronsen over Discord after his Post a bit ago about him leaving I have begun to see what has been going a bit cross.

So here is my question, maybe a small plea.

I would like every Person that reads this, may it be a lowly Miner or a high and mighty Developer presiding over our heads to write me a DM, one in which you write to me what, in your hopefully honest opinion. Is going wrong with Disco, what you personally dislike or what makes you angry.

No one here needs to do that and I want everyone to know that I will *NOT* share the results of what I gather up with your all's name attached ( My plan is actually, sorting the results and putting them in a spreadsheet or something ), and certainly no one here is required to do that, after all I'm just a player like you Guys.

If you take your time to do that, I thank you from the bottom of my rotten little bomber pilot heart.

All in all, I hate to see the state Disco is in, hate to see just how much worse some things have become, where from my view everything should be better than back then, atleast gameplay wise.

See you ingame, happy hunting and happy freelancing

Parthemonium/Onoronodonovon over and out.

RE: Hey, Guys. It's me. - WizardLizard - 10-24-2020

oof, am sending a dm now. Whats your discord? its easier to dm on htere

RE: Hey, Guys. It's me. - Zoronodonovon - 10-24-2020

I dont necessarily want a thousand People messaging me on Discord, If you Guys would take the time a DM explaininig what you think is going wrong, as large and written out as you want it ( I'll definitely read it ) is fine. Tongue

Check your forum pms, I pmed you.

(10-24-2020, 12:50 AM)Zoronodonovon Wrote: I dont necessarily want a thousand People messaging me on Discord, If you Guys would take the time a DM explaininig what you think is going wrong, as large and written out as you want it ( I'll definitely read it ) is fine. Tongue

RE: Hey, Guys. It's me. - Zoronodonovon - 10-24-2020

A little bumpety bump to get People to see, 3 DM's so far!

pog

RE: Hey, Guys. It's me. - Zoronodonovon - 10-25-2020

Bump

RE: Hey, Guys. It's me. - Tomtomrawr - 10-25-2020

I'm happy to post my thoughts publicly.

I'd like to start this by highlighting the amazing job the devs and community have done to keep Disco alive and actively adding new features for so long. Honestly, it's incredible, and thank you to everyone who has done that.

There are definitely some improvements. Like you said, the NPC bounty system and the veteran package for returning players that I used myself to get back on my feet. And have you tried playing as a police character yet? Plugins that let you monitor all trade lane and jump gate activity in your system, and remotely scan any ship on that network, and also deny a ship near you the ability to dock. Something that encourages players to be police instead of military, hurray! Allowing indies for the previously more restricted factions (Nomads, Wild, Coalition, etc) also a great move.

Also I've noticed that the quality of the average player's role-play is far higher than it was before. Far fewer lolwuts, and far more role-play. And players are more likely (still happens a lot though) to try and respect evenly balanced fights and reign in ganks when they're emerging.

5th in Liberty as a Liberty Navy division are a prime example of a fantastic group that's sprung up since we played. Courteous, good role-play, they actively balance fights during combat.

But you're right, there are problems. My main issue immediately was that SNAC does different damage to fighters compared to all other ships. Now the sweet, sweet reward for landing a well-aimed SNAC shot on a fighter's hull is half of their hull instead of the illustrious kill. I'm sure as a bomber pilot like me you felt the same anger when you discovered that.

As I've played more over the last couple of months I've noticed other issues.

They also moved missiles in the special hardpoint slot from being mountable in the main fighter ports so missiles are barely used. No matter how good missiles are, it cannot be more useful than a CD.

The lower player numbers mean that you're far more likely to just run into the same people again and again in their different characters rather than meeting new people, as Darius and I have been discovering.

The Discord chats about players in certain factions show that some groups genuinely hate the players behind the characters of other groups, which is never good for a community.

Gallia was still a mistake.

New fighting techniques have been developed which push some players into another league of PvP combat previously unseen. Would it be weird of me to say I hate turret steering? It's a genius combat idea to use it and if you use it in the right ship you're 5 times more dangerous than you would've been before. Bomber vs gunboat used to be a hold your breath fight. If that gunboat is using turret steering though, I can safely say a bomber does not stand a chance.

There are more but those are just what comes to my head right now. It isn't the same place as it was before, but that mostly stems from a reduced player base.

RE: Hey, Guys. It's me. - Username removed - 10-25-2020

@Tomtomrawr What I think this place sorely lacks is innovation. Not from the devs, mind you! The devs are doing an amazing job (minus whoever is in charge of balance).

I feel like Discovery had become a haven for certain...rationally different individuals who are afraid of experimentation and afraid of new things and they're also very vocal.

I too, have been a critic of Gallia the way it was revealed like an evil empire that's half the size of all of Sirius with a fleet that crushes everything in it's path and when it feels like everything is lost, suddenly the heroes push it back and free Sirius. That's something a 10yo could come up with but I like what they've done with the place.