Discovery Gaming Community
Invalid account name/pasword invalid - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Invalid account name/pasword invalid (/showthread.php?tid=184216)

Pages: 1 2 3

Invalid account name/pasword invalid - Stabby Dave - 10-27-2020

Hi.

Just returning to Disco after a few years layoff and I'm having a problem.

I still have my original FL disk, so I installed it (Win 7), copied the nocd exe file over the top of freelancer.exe, entered the 36 (excluding the dashes) character code, then installed Disco.

The problem I have is that whenever I go into multiplayer and try to connect to the Disco server, I get the "I'm sorry, but the account name and password you provided are not valid on this server" message.

I've tried deleting it all and reinstalling, but no joy.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

RE: Invalid account name/pasword invalid - Avalanche - 10-27-2020

Have you tried installing the mod as if you don't have the FL disk? Our install instructions show you how to do that.

RE: Invalid account name/pasword invalid - Stabby Dave - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 06:23 PM)Avalanche Wrote: Have you tried installing the mod as if you don't have the FL disk? Our install instructions show you how to do that.

I haven't, but I shall.

Cheers.

RE: Invalid account name/pasword invalid - Stabby Dave - 10-27-2020

Nope. Still getting the same message.

RE: Invalid account name/pasword invalid - aerelm - 10-28-2020

Not always the case, but more often than not that error pops up when the server-side files for the account you're trying to connect to is corrupted, and given your description, I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be the case. If you haven't reinstalled windows since the last time you played disco, there's a good chance launcher has managed to dig up one of your old accounts out of the registry, but since it's been a few years, everything on that acc has already been inactivity wiped, and sometimes, in rare cases trying to connect to a blank account that's had an extensive backlog ends up corrupting it.

If that's the case, one easy fix would be just making a fresh account and connecting to the server with that one instead. Go to "Accounts" tab in the launcher, right-click an empty area of the list, click "Create New Account", then click "Generate", fill the rest of the fields and hit Ok. Then double click the new account on the list so it shows as your "Current Account", and if the issue is caused by some weird rare corrupted file server-side leftover from your last visit, that should fix things.

Hopefully that helps.

RE: Invalid account name/pasword invalid - Stabby Dave - 10-28-2020

It's a different machine to when I last played - Disco has never been on it. I tried it anyway, but I'm still getting the same result.

I think it's punishing me for being away so long ;o)

Right! absolutely no clue, now. Here's what I've tried.
  • Uninstall Disco and FL.
  • Reboot.
  • Disable antivirus (until manually switched back on)
  • Install FL and replace freelancer.exe with nocd version.
  • Reboot.
  • Go into multiplayer to enter account code (36 char excluding dashes).
  • Reboot.
  • Install Disco and patch launcher and game.
  • Reboot.
  • Ensure installation account is selected and launch game.

Still get the "I'm sorry, but the account name and password you provided are not valid on this server" message.

Really want to get this working. All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers.

RE: Invalid account name/pasword invalid - darkwind - 10-28-2020

Recommending to follow "old guide" there hidden under spoiler. https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=126999
With downloading suggested vanilla version and to be not using nocd.exe(which there is none)

Cheers. Meant the nocd version of freelancer, not a file named "nocd.Exe".MMy bad

Will give it a go.

RE: Invalid account name/pasword invalid - aerelm - 10-28-2020

(10-28-2020, 04:37 PM)DaveyP Wrote: Go into multiplayer to enter account code (36 char excluding dashes).
That step might be what's causing the problem. Try skipping that once, and you dont really need to reboot between installations either. Instead, adding an extra step of clearing your registry after uninstalling disco/FL is more likely to help:

Uninstall FL & Disco, then go to Run > regedit.exe
Navigate to: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\1.0

You can safely remove the entire "Freelancer" folder there if you're going for a clean reinstall. Your next install will just replace everything with fresh data.

After you uninstall and clean your registry, follow the installation guide darkwind linked, but don't run the vanilla game, just go straight from installing the base game to installing discovery mod on top it. Then, once the mod is installed the first time you run DSlauncher, it should auto-generate a fresh account for you.

If the error still persists, then it's most likely nothing account/installation-related and might have to do with some network issue (routing between your ISP and the server host, etc) so trying to connect to the server with a VPN might be worth a try.