Discovery Gaming Community
Wrapping Up - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Wrapping Up (/showthread.php?tid=184243)

Pages: 1 2 3

Wrapping Up - Toaster - 10-28-2020

Ames Research Station, Kepler
October 28, 827 A.S.

Olivia sighed as the outer mist of the dark matter storm receded around her ship and Ames Research Station came into view.

Another visit to Kepler, she thought. Except this time she wasn't even afforded the convenience of functioning jump gates, instead having to brave the pitch black of a cosmic, irradiated hurricane. She couldn't wait for the Zoners to charge her an outrageous repair bill. Not that she could really blame them, of course. Ageira abandoning the system effectively cut off all legal traffic, leaving the freeport's inhabitants with far fewer options to make a living.

Permission to dock at the station was promptly granted upon request. Any memory of her first visit to the installation had clearly faded away over the months. One less thing for Olivia to worry about.

Stepping out onto the hangar bay's deck, the Sutinga's engine still whining as it spun down, she was greeted by a familiar voice.

"Glad to see you're finally joining us."

Olivia turned to face the source of the jest and spotted Blue approaching her, a kind smile parting his scruffy beard. She returned it, playfully punching him in the arm when they caught up to each other.

"And I'm glad to see you didn't get lost on your way here," Olivia retorted.

"Well, he almost did. Hah! Good thing he had me to guide him through the storm!" Beige stepped up from behind the grizzled mercenary, his usual grin plastered all over his stubbly beard. Olivia rolled her eyes. Up until a week or two ago, she would have been less than ecstatic to run into the joker, but she knew that without his help, her most recent adventure might not have turned out as successful as it had. She owed him and decided to repay him with patience for his humor.

"Yeah, I bet you were like a navbouy in the dark," Olivia chuckled. Beige guffawed.

"So," Blue interjected, raising a hand to shush the younger man, "who exactly are we here to meet?"

Olivia hesitated. She wasn't sure whether she was meant to reveal their host's identity to her comrades or whether he preferred to introduce himself personally, if at all. She decided to err on the side of caution.

"You'll find out soon. I think."

RE: Wrapping Up - Reeves - 10-29-2020

A hushed, but all too familiar voice spoke out after she'd expressed the imminence of clarification. "Are you that ashamed of me?" The broken stars on his either shoulder, and the larger than life symbol of a Cobra on his back were perhaps sufficient introduction, for not only who he was, but also where his allegiance lay. Perhaps of the three, Beige would be the one to appreciate a sarcastic entry the most, given his propensity to find amusement under otherwise inappropriate circumstances.

"Good to see you're not any worse for wear after ridding the world of that writhing maggot. I wish I could have been the one to do it, but short of that, I'm glad it was you. In the end you certainly earned the right to squeeze that trigger and bring a chapter of all your lives to a close. Maybe you'll find closure in the fact he's dead, maybe you won't. All the same, you have a way about you that seems less burdened now. I'm sure the money will help your spirits." For a Xeno, he was well spoken, seemingly quiet and reserved. In fact, the way he behaved only served to produce doubts as to whether he even was one, he took pride in that fact. Not only were people surprised to find him potentially charming, but he was also the leader of a more prominent assembly of terrorists. And one of the most wanted men in Liberty to boot. Minus the facade that his persona provided, it was easy to make the mistake of considering him a normal person, but there was very little one could find predictable about Morreti. A man so rebellious that no label or series of categorizations would do his nature any justice, simultaneously denounced as a mass murderer and also hailed as a local hero.

He gave the two men a moment's glance, his focus primarily occupied with Olivia, whom he expected would do most of the talking for the duration of their time here. There was no real way to tell how the two unknowns would react to his affiliations. But it would be right to assume that he wouldn't care how that would play out.

RE: Wrapping Up - Toaster - 10-29-2020

Olivia spun around to face the Alliance's leader. Her fingers twitched for her sidearm imperceptibly, a reflex she hoped she would one day be able to rid herself of. Being back in Liberty, she had a good reputation to maintain with the house's lawful elements. Being seen with a prominent terrorist - or freedom fighter, or whatever label he preferred - would only harm her efforts. But with lawful activity at an all-time low in the Kepler system, she supposed she didn't have to worry too much about being spied on.

"Cobra," she nodded a greeting, and gestured at the two mercenaries beside her, "these fine gentlemen are Blue and Beige. Former colleagues of mine."

She turned towards her two comrades and pointed at Damian with her thumb.

"That's Cobra, Liberty's top freedom fighter and Xeno." A hint of sarcasm inhabited her words.

Blue and Beige both raised their eyebrows, the former in surprise, the latter with triggered interest. Blue leaned in close to Olivia.

"You're working with terrorists these days?"

She rolled her eyes. She should have expected a less than excited reaction from the grizzled veteran, considering his rather violent past with Bretonia's own terrorist problem, the Gaians.

"I don't work with them," she whispered back. "We just had some overlapping interests."

Beige stepped forward, a wide grin on his face, his hand raised for a shake.

"Hah! It's an honor to make your acquaintance!" He blurted with a laugh only to be cut short by Olivia jabbing her fist into his ribs. "Okay, okay," Beige chuckled, taking a step back as he massaged his chest. Olivia glanced back at Morreti, her face returning to complete neutral.

"Some extra cash will help me sleep better," Olivia admitted. Looking over her shoulder at the two men behind her, she added, "And I'm sure my old crew could do with improving their pensions."

A soft smile, likely one produced from mild amusement by the banter Olivia had with Beige, cracked up on Damian's face. It would persist for several moments, before fading away gradually unless provided more incentive. "I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that this is all technically Pedro's money, which I aggregated from squashing his little artifact racket and fencing whatever could be looted through more trustworthy sources. He killed a friend of mine, so I've naturally taken it upon myself to destroy his business and murder his associates. Well, I suppose he was your friend too." Morreti gestured with a nod towards Olivia, no doubt referring to Sal but not feeling inclined to actually mention the old man's name. The reasons for his reluctance weren't exactly clear, just like everything else about the man.

"Fifty-five million credits, well, fifty million now. I reserved five for the family of the friend I just mentioned. The rest, as far as I'm concerned, is all yours and you can split it between one another in whatever way you feel like. Consider it a thanks for reaching out and uprooting a weed that I wouldn't have been able to." It was clear that he expected to be met with a mixture of disdain and apprehension, by now these reactions to his identity and 'profession' had become a natural occurrence. People were always put-off by things they either didn't understand, or had been trained to regard with poor associations. To his credit, the cause he championed was very much tied to the perceived oppression of a people, rather than the flippant and snobbish agenda of the Gaians. Their existence had only recently occurred to him after Xenos from Fort Ramsey finally forced the brats out of their hiding place in Magellan. A considerable victory, keeping in mind what the potential of having yet another base of operations along the border meant for a cause like the Xenos.

"Is something the matter?" He couldn't help but query Blue directly, wondering if the grizzled man was bold enough to voice his concerns upfront rather than suppress them.

Blue cocked his head to the side, sizing up the hard to read Xeno. Placing his hands on his hips in an akimbo fashion, he took a step forward, towering even over the respectable height of Morreti.

"Just not all that fond of people who kill civilians," he growled.

Olivia glanced between the two men apprehensively. This was not a situation she wanted to be in. Hoping to defuse it before either of them could even think about letting it get out of hand, she stepped up beside Blue and placed her hand on his arm. At the touch, the older man looked down at her, distrust for the Xeno commander plain in his eyes. She glared back up at him, a slight twitch of her eyebrow indicating for him to relax. For a moment, they stood there, eyeing each other.

Finally, Blue resigned, turning his back on Cobra. Olivia exhaled in relief. Her eyes shot over to the Xeno, searching for his reaction.

"Fifty million's plenty," she declared, directing the conversation back to the reason they had all convened here in the first place. "Wire it to Blue."

It was likely a result of having gone up against enemies more numerous and well equipped than he and his fellow fighters, but Morreti was visibly unfazed and had his arms behind his back, uninterested in pursuing any assertion of dominance or confrontation. True to the words present in his question, he was merely curious what the reason for such clearly evident tension was. And now that he knew it was the typical inclination towards moral superiority, from a mercenary no less, he had even less reason to care. He nodded at Olivia's request, but would comment as he began to wire the money through the use of his PDA. "It must be nice living in a world where you can believe that good and evil not only exist, but are so clearly defined. You'll find us less appreciative of such drivel, primarily due to the fact that being pushed to the very bottom of a social hierarchy and then held there, will drive men to claw their way to the top." He smirked for a moment, likely because he'd realized another point to convey which proved amusing.

"It might surprise you, but we respect the people of this establishment and protect their independence. And they've realized that returning the favor when it comes to us is remarkably simple, we just want to be left alone. I'm sure you'll be quick to dismiss this fact, even though my respect for the Zoners is the only reason you're still breathing. Could you please confirm receipt?" To assume what he'd just said as mere posturing would have been simple, but there was a level of conviction that his voice conveyed which would frustratingly undermine that assumption. From where he and his people stood, meddling in their lives and inexorably causing Liberty to operate the way it does, could not be tolerated. And the so called civilians who were being haplessly slaughtered were being herded by their Governments to propagate influence in a place they didn't belong. Despite their relatively well off positions, compared to those of the terrorists that would besiege their ships, they still wanted more and were willing to be unwittingly absorbed into the schemes of subversive interhouse influence.

"The scars of persecution always harden into spite." Despite the calmness of how Morreti stated this, he ensured the words were definitive and carried the weight necessary to provoke thought. The Xenos were victims of the ravenous free market which accommodated the lifestyles of Liberty's ruling elite, just as much as the people they killed or otherwise harmed in their pursuit of freedom. The root problem being the ultimate tendency for any Government to treat its worst off citizens poorly, and thus provide the basis for such groups to even exist.

Olivia shook her head slowly, a patronizing smile parting her lips.

"Don't waste your breath on Blue," she spoke when Morreti finished his monologue. "He's seen too much to have his opinions changed anymore."

Behind her, Blue snorted derisively as he checked his PDA for the receipt confirmation.

"Got it," he muttered. Pocketing the device, he turned back to face Olivia, his grizzled features softening a bit. "I'm getting out of here." Olivia smiled warmly and nodded a farewell. She would have given him a hug as a show of gratitude for everything he had done for her of late, but thought better of it. In her current company, showing vulnerability could prove far from beneficial.

"Keep in touch," she said instead.

The older mercenary chuckled in response and marched off towards his ship. Beige stood there, looking back and forth between Blue and Olivia. Making up his mind, he stepped up next to her, choosing to stick around a while longer to see where things might head, his curiosity about the Xeno commander getting the better of him.

Olivia turned back to Cobra.

"I see your social graces still need some practice," she muttered jokingly. Then, more seriously, "Anything else you'd like to discuss while you've got me here?"

Shrugging dismissively, Morreti was mostly affixed on conversation with Olivia, but the fact that a third wheel was still hanging about hadn't been overlooked. "I don't respond well to being talked down to. Least of all by people who kill for money, too much irony for my tastes. That aside, would you like a drink? I'll buy." Though he was offering this to the sole mutual acquaintance in the room, he'd still glance in Beige's direction, fully expecting that the man would try to capitalize on the offer of free booze. Quietly, he wondered if this was the secondary suspect the LPI had listed as involved in the shooting which took place on Pittsburgh not so long ago, during the initial pursuit he'd waged in order to eliminate Pedro. It would certainly explain where the Kingfisher and Olivia's transportation came from.

Beige's face erupted with joy. He reached out and enthusiastically slapped Morreti's shoulder, either completely unaware or deliberately ignoring the fact that the offer had not primarily been directed at him.

"Not gonna say no to free alcohol! Hah!" He guffawed loudly, turning heads of nearby dockworkers towards their little party. Olivia muttered a curse under a breath and grasped the mercenary by his trenchcoat's lapel.

"If you're gonna hang around, behave," she growled. Giving his coat a light yank for emphasis, she released him again and turned back to Morreti with an apologetic glance. "We'll take you up on that."

He must have been especially patient today, because that slap of the shoulder didn't prompt any negative reaction, despite that being what would have typically occurred. Perhaps he did really mean it when he said he respected the Zoners too much to be causing a mess, especially over people who were not worth it. "Good, maybe we can actually enjoy it now that the downer of your lot's left." Obviously he was referring to Blue and mocking his attitude, no doubt feeling that the man was misguided.

Without any suggestion that he would be doing this, Morreti turned around and began to lead the way to the bar, expecting the two would follow along. Naturally, Ames was much less populated than it usually would have been, the gates closing had dramatically reduced the amount of visitors the station received, the only ones who still did visit in quantities that were unchanged, were of course the Xenos and other minor elements that operated in these Independent Worlds.