Discovery Gaming Community
If only - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: If only (/showthread.php?tid=184336)

Pages: 1 2 3

If only - Reeves - 11-03-2020

Fontana was cold, enough to make the extremities seize up if only slightly to protest the fact. The air had a certain smell, like freshly opened spare parts that'd been stacked up in their boxes too long. Ever since the station's tumultuous changing of hands, from the Legion to sympathetic bootleggers, the place had begun to develop a different aura about it. All sorts of people paid it visits, enterprising freelancers, commercial ships willing to take the risk of underhand dealings off the beaten path, and of course Liberty's underbelly. Especially the all too familiar radicals it was home to.

Morreti still hated this place, even though the Commonwealth stars had been duly painted over, erased from immediate recollection, there was still enough about the place to put him off. Maybe it would have been simpler to burn it, but thankfully foresight came into play rather than such impulses for vengeance, because now with Kepler's isolation, Fontana was an extremely useful revenue source. Not just for the Alliance, but for the cells of radicals spread out across Liberty, each committed to change in their own ways.

Some corners and crevices still bore burn marks from particle cannons, the type employed by Xenos. Evidently their bombardment and strafing runs on the understaffed station not so long ago was effective. Had they pressed harder, the station's seals might have been breached, which would have only resulted in further catastrophic damage instead of the cosmetic kind. Had this really been a product of his leadership? He'd been the loudest voice lobbying for further independence and strengthening of the cause, but he hadn't been the only one. Certainly, he must have done something right, if people were so inclined to keep crediting these developments to him.

Truth be told, he didn't care. No part of him could find any enjoyment in milestones or achievements, not when it felt like a chunk, or perhaps even half of him was missing. Just like the emblems on either wing of his Eagle that had pulled in to dock, he was a mangled remnant, too stubborn to break and yet not the whole thing that he once was. With a deft movement of the hand after departing his pilot's seat, he raised a finger to an ear, calling the person he came here to meet. "If you've got yourself a room here, we can talk there. Just need the door number. Bar's too public, don't want any eavesdroppers, that or anywhere else that isn't crowded works for me. Your call." A pack of Rogues that were having their ships refueled on the other end of the hangar took note of him, but they kept their peace for the time being given the lack of any incentive to mess with Xenos here. The normally opportunistic pirates had become increasingly wary of a competitive Xeno front in the recent year. Maybe that was Morreti's fault, maybe it was just chance.

RE: If only - Toaster - 11-03-2020

"Three-thirteen B," Olivia replied simply and tossed her PDA back onto the small steel bunk that took up most of the room's far wall. Really, calling her quarters a 'room' was overly generous. It had all the space of a storage locker and was about as comfortable, too. But it served her needs well enough and was cheaper than anything she could have found elsewhere. With most of her days spent in the cockpit, a simple closet with a mattress was all she required. She would not, however, have minded some better heating.

She pulled the rusty metal chair out from under its small, wall-hung desk and pushed it across from the bed, sitting down on the latter. She was curious about what Morreti wanted to discuss with her. In the back of her head, her mind was warning her not to get involved any further with the Xeno, but truth be told, she couldn't help it. He was one of the few people she had any kind of regular contact with and despite distrusting the rebel, she knew that, at least for the moment, he was a valuable contact to have.

There was a knock at the heavy steel door, causing the room's singular ceiling light to flicker.

"Come in."

RE: If only - Reeves - 11-03-2020

"I-" Abruptly, Morreti paused even before he could actually utter a single word of the sentence he had in mind. The moment he'd crossed the threshold and his eyes had the second necessary to take in the room, it was as if something inside him caused the words to get stuck in the back of his throat. He couldn't have been claustrophobic, no, not if he spent most of his time cooped up in the hot seat of a fighter. This had to be something else, a bad memory perhaps? Maybe he was reminded of something. With no small amount of hesitation, he cleared his throat, shook his head and then just quietly joined Olivia at the table.

"Thank you." He managed in a hushed tone. Obviously expressing gratitude for her spare time she had dedicated toward conversation with him, a person she neither trusted or liked whatsoever.

Olivia followed Morreti's awkward movements with narrowed eyes. Something was off-putting about him. Not that he ever made a particularly... normal impression on her, but he seemed especially odd this time around, for once seeming genuinely uncertain about what to do. It reminded her of their first proper meeting on Pittsburgh - though whether bringing up those memories was beneficial or not was yet to be seen. It did, however, further enthuse her curiosity.

The Xeno taking his seat across from her, Olivia nodded a simple, wordless greeting. With a flick of her hand she gestured at two bottles of Liberty's 'finest' standing on the small tabletop, cocking her head inquisitively.

She would let him take the lead at this meeting; clearly something was weighing heavily on his mind and, despite her interest about what it may be, she knew better than to pry.

Silently, he regarded the bottle, but didn't seem to have much motivation to do much more than that. It could have been that he just wasn't thirsty, or more likely was the fact that he wasn't in the mood for alcohol. Even if it might have been a smart choice given all the things that were crashing and burning in the various corners of his mind. His composure was clearly off, like he'd been rattled if such a play on words could act as a fitting descriptor for his current state.

"Do you hate me?" His eyes seemed to be focused on nothing of importance, a piece of muck in the background or a dent in a section of the table. The words came out without much deliberation, as if the thought had only just crossed his mind and been spat out for the sheer sake of either breaking the silence, or getting rid of it.

Olivia's hand froze an inch from the bottle closest to her.

Uh oh, she thought.

Sighing, she leaned forward and rested her elbows on the table. For a moment, she looked into Morreti's averted eyes. This was not what she had expected.

"Hate's a strong word," she replied slowly. Olivia chose her words carefully, realizing that the man across from her was clearly struggling with whatever was on his mind. She didn't want to rattle him any more by carelessly uttering a wrong phrase. "I wouldn't say I do."

She paused.

"Is my opinion of you what you came here to talk about?"

He shook his head, thinking, even though he'd gestured a no in response his eyes said something that was entirely contradictory. It seemed to take effort, but he made eye contact eventually. Normally there was a sharpness to them, but this time they instead seemed the slightest bit out of focus. It was as if they were in a constant state of flux, fighting an urge to look away as if there was an instinctive fear that the person sitting across from him might see too much.

"At least not initially. The thought just crossed my mind, I didn't want it there, so I spat out the question so it would go away. I can't tell what I'm feeling, I can't tell why I'm feeling anything at all. For the longest time, as far back as I'm able to remember, I didn't have to worry about that. I just.. didn't feel much of anything, at all. I was good at faking it thought, never made my parents suspicious. Kept it up well into my adult life." With the way he seemed to be behaving, it was almost as if he'd prefer if that were still the case. As if he felt safer feeling nothing than he did tasting his own emotions. It must have been like an ill fashioned dam, which had over the years posed a barrier to all of these conflicting tides. Only to now be worn down, either by time or some other catalyst, leaving what seemed like trauma in its wake.

"Things were fine, or at least the same as they'd always been until-" This second pause seemed to betray a silent realization, as if his mind had connected dots and had an "of course" moment just then.

The revelation didn't strike Olivia as much of a surprise. A number of things had given Morreti an unsettling presence - expressions and emotions that just felt slightly off, like speaking a foreign language fluently but not knowing the colloquialisms, among them.

Olivia listened intently as Morreti continued, raising her eyebrows curiously as he cut himself off.

"Until?"

When elaborating what had just struck his focus and forced him to cut himself off, his composure seemed to improve, as if momentarily distracted by the growing feeling of confusion and discomfort. "Ever heard of the Widow? A Xeno too, one with a storied reputation for being a capable pilot, more than most. Possibly more than everyone else in the House, freaks from Malta included." He paused again, this time without any interruptions from pain or realizations, he just needed a few seconds to retrace his steps down memory lane and get the details right.

"She came to us with a demand. Something we'd frown at normally. Was the first time I threw my weight around, insisted she could be useful to the cause. It was a gamble then, of course. But I was right in the end, more so than anyone might have expected. She ripped her way up through the ranks, put enemies to shame and made herself someone of notoriety. Became my closest and sometimes only reliable advisor. Somewhere down the line though.. I made the mistake of letting her in. A second's worth of vulnerability. That was all it took." While this all seemed like a fair bit of background and something resembling context, it didn't do anything to explain why he'd started behaving the way he currently was. It was easy enough to make guesses about what might have happened to cause this, the most logical of course being the demise of this person he seemed to be speaking about. But there was a lack of certainty from him too, which was sufficient to dissuade that line of thinking.

There had to have been more to it than that.

Olivia hadn't, in fact, heard about this particular Xeno. She wasn't in the habit of doing research on the members of criminal organizations; the only interest she ever took in them was in the field when a contract turned them into targets.

Morreti's elaboration made things at least a little clearer. Apparently, Olivia chuckled to herself, the man really was capable of regarding people as more than pawns in his misguided quest for liberty. Learning this, she had to know more.

"She became your friend?" Olivia carefully probed.